Kenya was among the first countries in the world to develop and adopt the Magical Kenya Tourism and Travel Health and Safety Protocols for the ‘New Normal’. These protocols were developed following the outbreak of Covid-19 virus countries were prompted to close their borders, impose travel restrictions and also introduce quarantine measures to contain the spread of the virus which in return caused a slump in demand among travellers (UNWTO, 2020). The Ministry of Health in Kenya and the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) approved the protocols. In addition, Kenya was awarded the Safer Tourism Seal (STS) that builds on established certifications through evaluations and endorsements. The seal provides additional assurances about the industry.
The study was conducted to assist the KATA members, tourists and the entire industry with information that could assist with making informed and strategic decisions as the borders re-opened.
- To determine the number of Company Business Trips Made per Year prior to COVID-19.
- To examine the industry willingness and readiness to start travelling again.
- To find out the Travellers’ Confidence Level to visit various area.
- To establish the concerns of travelling during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- To find out what Travel Agents could do to better prepare for the resumption of travel.