The East Africa Online Training Workshop on Science and Environmental Journalism was hosted by Wanon Media in collaboration with the Stockholm Environment Institute. More than 20 journalists from all six East African Community member countries attended the three-day training: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, and South Sudan. “Communicating Climate Change and the Blue Economy: What Are the Opportunities for Storytelling?” was the theme of the workshop, which took place between the 16th and 18th of December 2020. The event, which featured prominent journalists, scientists, and journalism educators, used a hybrid paradigm, with face-to-face sessions at the Nairobi Serena Hotel and virtual participants from across the world through Zoom.
Yvonne Okwara-Matole, a Senior News Anchor and Editor at Royal Media Services, served as the Principal Moderator. Hon. Mohamed Elmi, Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, presided over the formal inauguration ceremony on behalf of the Kenyan government. The CAS urged the audience to recommit themselves to environmental stories, adding that climatic challenges such as climate change posed a significant threat to long-term development.
The keynote lecture was given by H.E. Dr. Wilbur Ottichilo, Governor of Vihiga County in Kenya. Gov. Ottichilo is an outspoken environmentalist who is credited with putting Kenya’s first climate change bill into parliament while serving as a politician.
Veteran journalist Joe Ageyo, the Editorial Director of Royal Media Services, and renowned science journalist Ochieng’ Ogodo, the Coordinator and Editor of SciDev.net in Sub-Saharan Africa and a former chairperson of the Kenya Environmental and Science Journalists’ Association, were among the notable media trainers (KENSJA). The following are brief biographies of prominent attendees at the training event:
- Dr. Esther Munyiri is the Director, Global Tourism Resilience and Crisis Management – Eastern Africa (GTRCMC-EA) at Kenyatta University.
- Hon. Mohammed Elmi, Kenya’s Chief Administrative Secretary for the Ministry of Environment and Forestry.
- Dr. Wilber Ottichilo is the Governor of Vihiga County in Kenya.
- David Omwoyo, Chief Executive Officer of the Media Council of Kenya (MCK).
- Dr. Idah Muchunku-Mwenda Director, Training & Research and Acting CEO, Wanon Media Ltd.
- Joe Ageyo, Editorial Director at Royal Media Services and Trainer in the inaugural East African journalists’ training on Climate Change and Blue Economy.
- Ochieng’ Ogodo is the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Coordinator and News Editor for the UK based Science and Development Network [SciDev.Net].
- Yvonne Okwara-Matole, a Senior News Anchor and Editor at Royal Media Services.
To learn more about the above prominent attendees visit to see their brief biographies: https://wanonmedia.com/blog/wanon-media-partners-with-stockholm-environment-institute-for-inaugural-east-african-journalists-training-on-climate-change-and-blue-economy