International Conference On : ‘‘20 Years Since The Rome Statute Of The International Criminal Court (Icc) – The Status Of International Rule Of Law, And Access To International Criminal Justice In Africa.’’
20-21 September 2018
Organised by : Department of Diplomacy and International Relations, School of Security, Diplomacy and Peace Studies, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya
In Partnership with :OPEN SOCIETY INTIATIVE FOR EAST AFRICA (OSIEA)
During the conference, the academic dialogue will be facilitated through a combination of keynotes presentations and panels under the following themes and topics:
Sub- Theme 1: The Emergence of the Rome Statute Accountability Mechanism- Opportunities, Challenges and the way forward.
- Responses to international crimes in African jurisdictions prior to the Rome Statute and the International Criminal Court.
- Historical injustices and International crimes in Africa.
- Africa States’ approach and attitude towards universal jurisdiction
- The Legacy of the United Nations Security Council in dealing African issues.
- African States at Rome Conference – proposals and counter-proposals
- African States and International Tribunals, Cases Studies and Lessons learned
- The role and effectiveness of alternative justice mechanisms in Africa.
Sub-Theme 2: Politics of International Criminal Justice and Africa: Regional Justice Mechanisms - Obstructers or Enablers of the Rome Statute Mechanism.
- Self-referrals in the context of African situations
- The African States in the United Nations Security Council and their role in referral of African situations to the Office of the Prosecutors
- Justice and Peace dilemma and the fate of the International Criminal Court.
- Victims and Reparations for discontinued cases- what are the prospects.
- Regionalisation of International Criminal Law- The Malabo Protocol- Enabler or Obstructer of the Rome Statute
- International Court Justice and immunity for international crimes
- The prospects for African Unionthe 3rd UNSC Meeting and Withdrawal Strategy
Abstract deadline: 13th July 2018
Abstract notification: 17th July 2018
Full-papers deadline: 19th August 2018