Briton R. Alden granted Sh2 million bail in girlfriend murder case

Richard Alden, a British businessman accused of murdering his Kenyan girlfriend was released on Sh2 million cash bail with two Kenyan sureties on Thursday.

The High Court dismissed the prosecution’s application against bail saying reasons given against the release of Richard Alden, 53, were not compelling.

Justice Jessie Lesiit ordered Alden to report to the OCS in Karen twice a week and surrender his passport pending the hearing of his case.

Lesiit also said the Briton is not a flight risk and noted that he expressed readiness to comply with bail conditions.

Alden denied killing Grace Wangeci, 42, in his house on Windy Ridge Road in Karen, Nairobi, on June 4.

It had been reported that the woman accidentally shot herself while taking selfies with the firearm. But investigators ruled this out and charged Alden with murder.

The Briton was also arraigned before chief magistrate Daniel Ogembo to face another charge of having a firearm without a certificate. He will plead to the charge next Tuesday.

The DPP had opposed the bail application saying Alden is a foreigner with no fixed abode and a flight risk.

Senior state counsel Catherine Mwaniki had asked Lesiit to order the accused to remain in custody until the case is determined.

Mwaniki said Alden cannot be trusted since he gave contradicting statements on the matter.

She told the court he will disturb public order if released and interfere with crucial witnesses including his househelp.

Alden had urged the court to grant him bond saying pending trial saying he is a father of three and has an ailing mother who depends on him.

In a joint statement, his family said: ” Richard is a proud husband and father, loved very much by his family and well respected by his colleagues. Richard is a good man who made Kenya his home, learning Swahili and actively participating in a multitude of philanthropic activities including sponsorship of and collaboration with Sports 4 Change, a programme that supports homeless and unemployed young people.

“The death of Wangeci is a tragedy and we express our deepest condolences to her family. However, Richard is innocent of these charges and we stand behind him all the way. As a family, we are united in our mission to clear his name and help him build a strong defense.”

 

Leave a Reply