All services at the Kenyatta National Hospital are expected to resume today after the management signed a return-to-work formula with doctors on Saturday evening. The hospital also officially reinstated the 12 doctors it sacked for taking part in the strike and withdrew disciplinary action against 48 others.
The management had said it would not pay all its 264 doctors salaries for the three months they did not work. Sources said the board of directors warned CEO Lily Koros she would be surcharged if she authorised the payment. The standoff affected hundreds of patients who were admitted at the hospital immediately the national strike was called off on Tuesday last week.
Health PS Dr Nicholas Muraguri intervened leading to the signing of the return-to-work formula with the Kenya Medical Practitioners Pharmacists and Dentists Union on Saturday.
Union secretary general Ouma Oluga said the doctors would resume work immediately. “As agreed, there will be no victimisation,” he said