The Department of Architecture & Interior Design’s (DAID) mandate is to be committed to quality through teaching, research and development, providing timely services to foster and develop academic excellence in basic and applied research at all levels of study by training practice oriented manpower, who can contribute innovatively and effectively to social, intellectual and academic development. In line with the University’s goals, the Department of Architecture strives to continually improve its services, products, processes, methods, and work environment to ensure each customer receives the highest quality service or product at the committed cost and on time.
Sustainability is the underlying principle within the education curriculum in the Department’s green based philosophy. The program is based on the understanding that the skills required for designing the built environment come from a broad education that draws on science, technology, and humanities within the totality of natural environmental systems in addition to the students’ skill in thinking spatially and conceptually.
The Department is blessed with qualified staff in both full time and part time basis with a mix of both those practicing in industry and others in academics. Infrastructurally, the department is also blessed with adequate learning spaces in form of studios, wood workshop, metal workshop, lecture rooms, computer labs and libraries.
Locally, the Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors (BORAQs) registers professional architects while the Architectural Association of Kenya is the professional body for Architects. The following are the proposed programs, professional focus and professional accreditations that graduates from each discipline are associated with. Internationally, the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA) is mandated as the international validating body for the B.Arch. and M.Arch, degrees.
Mission, Vision & Objective
- To educate dynamic, inclusive and competitive professionals who contribute to the global community through the design, construction, and interpretation of the built environment by instilling the fundamental principles of design and inspiring a spirit of exploration, environmental mainstreaming in Architecture & Interior Design and creative experimentation by integration of excellent teaching, research and practice.
- To promote the Architectural & Interior Design profession through quality education and training, promoting problem solving attitudes in the Built Environment through research, innovation, creativity and sustainability.
- Educate and train architects & interior designers through methodologies that engender scientific, technical, humanistic and artistic perspectives within different contexts and complexities.
- Provide education, training and enhancement of skills and competencies in planning, designing and building of public and private spaces and their support facilities.
- Equip learners with competencies in project documentation, programming contract and post contract administration. Develop capacities in research, criticism and publications on the built environment.
- Develop administrative, institutional and cultural management capacities of trainees in both public and private spheres.
The Department is currently set to run one undergraduate degree program in Architecture. This Program is structured as a Modular Integrated Problem Based Learning programme, spread across six years of formal study (four years for the Bachelor of Architectural Studies (pre-professional), and two years for the Bachelor of Architecture (professional) programme.
The program is focused on the discipline of architecture in terms of its history, theory, and techniques, and on the practice of architecture in terms of building technologies, innovative means of construction, and professional practice. The program’s core is the design studio, where students build visual literacy, learn design skills, test ideas, and receive continuous, personal feedback on their work from faculty. The studio faculty is made up of practicing architects rather than pure academics, which allows students a window into the real life of an architect as well as options for pursuing professional internships outside of department.
The curriculum has been structured as a six year two tier programme which will comprise of:
- Bachelor of Architectural Technology (B.ArchT) 4 years
- Master of Architecture-Professional (M.Arch.Prof) 6 years
This is in line with worldwide trends that are recognized by the Common Wealth Association of Architects.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 August 2017 10:21