- 2012: PhD (Economics), Kenyatta University, Kenya
- 2005: M.Phil (Economics), University of Ghana, Ghana
- 2002: B.Ed. (Economics, Mathematics), Kenyatta University, Kenya
Research and Publications
- Muniu, J. M., Mburu, T. K. and Obere, A. (2015), The Value Effects of Banking Institutions’ Mergers and Acquisitions in Kenya, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Thuku, G. K., Omolo, J. and Muniu, J. (2019), Drivers of Employment Elasticities in Kenya, Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol.10, No.16
- Obebo F, Wawire N, Muniu J. (2018), Effects of Participation of Micro and Small Enterprises in Microfinance on their Performance in Kenya, International Journal of Economics and Finance; Vol. 10, No. 7; 2018
- Ngui, D.M. and Muniu, J.M. (2016): “Fiscal Policy and Capital Flight in Kenya” African Development Review, Vol. 28, No. S1, John Willey and Sons
- Kinyanjui, G. K., Gachanja, P. M., and Muniu, J.M. (2015), Technical Efficiency of Hospitals Owned by Faith Based Organizations in Kenya, The Journal of Pan African Studies, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp 45-63
- Ngui, D.M., Muniu, J.M., and Wawire, N.H.W. (2014), Determinants of Informal Sector Performance in the Rural Areas of Kenya: Evidence from Makueni County, in Dynamics of Rural Transformation in Emerging Economies Conference Proceedings, Excel India Publishers, New Delhi, India, pp 12-20.
- Muniu, J.M. (2013), Assessing the Finance – Growth Channel in Kenya: A VAR Analysis, African Finance Journal, Vol 15, No. 2, pp 67-85, Africa Growth Institute
- Ngui, D.M. and Muniu, J.M. (2012), Firm Efficiency Differences and Distribution in the Kenyan Manufacturing Sector, African Development Review, Vol 24, No. 1, pp 52 – 66, John Willey and Sons
Co-Authored Project Reports
- Capacity Needs Assessment for National and County Governments on External Resources Mobilization, Management and Aid Coordination (2014).With Benedict Musengele
- Development Effectiveness of Structural Fiscal Policies in Sub-Saharan Africa: Pilot Country Study on Kenya (2014). With Prof. Wawire N.H. W
- African Economic Outlook – Chapter on Kenya (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013). With AfDB team.
Scholarly Presentations at Conferences/Workshops/Seminars
- ‘Fiscal Policy and Capital Flight in Kenya’ a paper presented at the National Workshop on Capital Flows in Kenya, held on 4 th September, 2017 at the Hilton Hotel, Nairobi.
- ‘Fiscal Policies and Capital Flight’ a paper presented at the African Economic Research Consortium Capital Flight and Tax Havens, Final Review workshop, held on 29th – 30th May, 2015 at the Snowcrest Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania.
- ‘Fiscal Uncertainties and Capital Flight in Kenya’ a paper presented at the African Economic Research Consortium Capital Flight and Tax Havens inception workshop, held on 20th – 21st March, 2014 at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya.
- ‘Determinants of Informal Sector Performance in the Rural Areas of Kenya: Evidence from Makueni County’ a paper presented at the International Conference on Dynamics of Rural Transformation in Emerging Economies, Sambhram School of Management/Kenyatta University, Hotel Atria, Bangalore, India, March, 25th – 27th, 2014
- ‘Household energy choice and poverty reduction’, a proposal presented at the Environment for Development annual workshop held on 7 th August 2013 at Fairview Hotel, Nairobi
- ‘Long Run Determinants of Savings in Kenya’, a paper presented at the AERC Biannual Conference held on 2 nd to 7th June 2013 at Mt. Meru Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania
- “Technical Efficiency effects of bank mergers and acquisitions in Kenya”, a paper presented at the 8 th African Finance Journal Conference held on 14th to 15th April 2011 at Safari Court Hotel, Windhoek, Namibia.
Membership in Professional Societies
- 2012 to date: Global Association of Risk Professionals
- 2011 to date: Member, Africagrowth Institute
- 2009 to date: Member, Poverty and Economic Policy Network