1. Pro-poor low cost Water supply and Sanitation technologies
2. Ecological sanitation
3. Climate change and water resources
4. Sustainable wastewater and solid waste Management
1. Articles in refereed journals
- Tadesse A., F. Kilonzo, A. van Grinsven, and W. Bauwens, (2017) Evaluation and application of alternative rainfall data sources for forcing hydrologic models in the Mara Basin, Hydrology Research.
- Kilonzo F., F. O. Masese, A. Van Griensven, W. Bauwens, J. Obando, and P. N.L. Lens, (2014). Spatial-temporal variability in water quality and macro-invertebrate assemblages in the upper Mara river basin, Kenya, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 67-69,93-104.
- Kilonzo F., U. Mutwiwa, S. Mutua, and M. Waweru, (2012). Evaluating the use of Constructed Wetland in the Treatment of Tannery Wastewater, Kenya Science, Technology and Innovation Journal.
- Kilonzo F., Van Griensven A., Obando J., and Bauwens W, (2012). Using Cluster and Averaging technique to improve model performance in data poor catchments, Centre International Capacity Development (CICD) Series (ISSN 1868-8578)
- Van Griensven A., P. Ndomba, S. Yalew, and F. Kilonzo, (2012) Critical review of the application of SWAT in the upper Nile Basin countries. Hydrol. Earh Syst. Sci, 16, 3371-3381
- Coetsiers, M., F. Kilonzo, and K. Walraevens; (2008). Hydrochemistry and source for high Fluoride in groundwater of the Nairobi area, Kenya, Hydrological Sciences (IAHS) 53(6) pg 1230-1240
- Kilonzo, F.N., 2014. Assessing the Impacts of Environmental Changes on the Water Resources of the Upper Mara, Lake Victoria Basin, CRC Press/Balkema, ISBN 9781138026384
3. Presentation of papers at Academic and professional conferences
- Feeding city population on dying waters, how can we move into the future?" 22nd International conference on Environmental indicators (ICEI2017), 1-5 August 2017, Helsinki, Finland.
- Quantity or Quality? Threats from land cover changes on water resources of the Mara River basin, 3 rd International Water Association (IWA) development congress, 14-17 November 2013, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Evaluation of a modified septic tank system optimized for effluent re-use in Agriculture, paper presented at the 3 rd International Water Association (IWA) development congress, 14-17 November 2013, Nairobi, Kenya
- Food production systems and the farmers' adaptive capacity to Climate Change in the Upper Mara River Basin, Kenya, paper presented at the 3rd Lake Victoria Basin Scientific conference, 22-23 Oct, 2012, Entebbe, Uganda.
- Spatio-temporal variation in water quality of the upper Mara River basin, paper presented at the WaterNet/ Symposium, 31 Oct- 2 Nov, 2012, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Kilonzo F., A. Van Griensven and W. Bauwens, (2012) Distributed validation of hydrological model using field and remotely sensed data in Sepplet et al., (eds): Managing resources of a limited planet: pathways and visions under uncertainty, Sixth Biennial meeting, Leipzig Germany, International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (iEMSs).
- Selecting a Potential Evapotranspiration method (PET) in the absence of Essential climatic input data, paper presented at the SWAT International Conference 14-17 June, 2011, Toledo, Spain,
- Improving model predictive capacity in poorly gauged catchments, paper presented at the LAKE AND CATCHMENT RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM (LARS2011) conference, 14-18 March, 2011, Nairobi, Kenya