Title/Qualifications: Dr/Ph.D-:Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Canada.
A. Refereed Journals
1. Laichena, J.K (2000). Effects of Inorganic Salts on the Products Distribution in the Gasification of Wood Sawdust. East African Journal of Science. 2(1), pg. 7- 22. Nairobi, Kenya.
2. Kirubi, C., Wamicha, W. N., and Laichena, J.K (2000). The Effect of Woodfuel Consumption in the ASAL Areas of Kenya: A case study of Marsabit Forest. African Journal of Ecology, 38, 47- 52.
3. Laichena, J. K and J. C Wafula (1997). Biogas Technology for Rural Households in Kenya. OPEC Review: A Journal of Energy Economics and Related Issues. Vol. XXI, No. 3, pg. 10-16. Oxford, UK.
4. Laichena, J. K (1992), Biomass Fuels if Kenya: Availability and Potential for Gasification. Energy Exploration and Exploitation, Vol.9, No.66, London UK. Pg. 405 – 421.
5. Laichena, J. K. (1990). Rural Energy in Kenya: A Future of Biogas. In OPEC Bulletin. Vol. XXI, No. 1, Vienna, Austria. Pg. 10- 16.
6. Laichena, J. K. (1989). Rural Energy in Kenya: Is there a Future for Biogas in Kenya, a Survey. In Energy Exploration and Exploitation, Vol. 7, No. 2, London, UK. Pg. 116 – 127.
B. Publication in Referred Conference Proceedings
1. Laichena, J.K. (2000). The Influence of Inorganic Salts on the Products Distribution in the Gasification of Wood Sawdust in a Fludized Bed. Proceedings of the Fourth nternational Conference on Application of Solar and Renewable Energy. Cairo, Egypt, April 14 – 18, 1996.
2. Laichena, J.K. and G.D.M. MacKay (1991). Biomass Gasification - Producing a Better Quality Gas. 41st Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Vancouver, BC. October 6th – 9th.
3. Laichena, J.K. (1989). Rural Energy in Kenya: Is There a Future for Biogas. Proceedings of the International symposium on the Development and Management of Energy Resources, 1989. Manila, the Philippine.
C. Reports and Other Publications
1. Laichena, J.K. (1985). A Brief Outlook of Economic and Energy Situation in Kenya. Technical Report. Department of Engineering, University of Reading, UK.
2. Laichena, J.K. (1986), Biogas from Agricultural Wastes: An Empirical Design Mathematical Model. M.Sc. Thesis. Department of Engineering, University of Reading, Reading, United Kingdom.
3. Laichena, J.K. (1991). Biomass Gasification: A Review of Literature. Technical Report. Department of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Canada.
4. Laichena, J.K. (1993). Biomass Fuels in Kenya. In OPEC Review: An Energy and Development Forum. Vol. XVII, No. 1, pg. 99-122.
5. Laichena, J.K. (1993). The Effect of Inorganic Salts on the Gasification of Biomass in a Fluidized Bed. Ph.D. Thesis. Department of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Canada.
1. October 9- 11, 2000: UTILITY INITIATIVE FOR AFRICA: Seminar on Rural energy Provision in Africa. UN Gigiri HQs., Nairobi. Organized and funded by UNEP and the
International Solar Energy Society (ISES).
2. April 14 – 18, 1996: Fourth International Conference on Application of Solar and Renewable Energy. Cairo, Egypt. (Presented a paper).
3. May 9 – 11, 1995: National Workshop on Industrial Technology Development, Nairobi, Kenya. Organized and funded by United Nations Industrial Development Organization
(UNIDO) and Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI).
4. Nov. 23 – 25, 1994: AFRICAN WASTE FORUM ’94. Organized by United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (HABITAT). Nairobi, Kenya.
5. Oct. 6 – 9, 1991: 41st CSChE Conference. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. (Presented a paper).
6. July 1990: 40th CSChE Conference. Dollhouse, Halifax, Canada.
7. May 1 – 4, 1990: Canadian Society of Chemical Engineers (CSChE) Graduate Students Conference. University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada.
8. May 1989: Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology Seminar. University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, Canada.
9. Nov 20 – 21, 1986: The National Wind Pumping Seminar. Organized and sponsored by the UK Intermediate Technology Power Group. Nairobi, Kenya.
10. March 26 – 28, 1985: The National Biogas Conference. Organized and sponsored by the Ministry of Energy and Regional Development. Nairobi, Kenya.
11. Coordination of Conferences; Energex ‘ 96 – 2000: “Energex” is an International Energy Conference and Exhibition, the official conference of the International Energy Foundation, which is held every two years. I am a member of the International Advisory Committee and one of the duties of the committee members is to coordinate the conference in their region. I have been doing this as from Energex ’96 held in Beijing, June 3-7, 1996. I continued to be the country coordinator up to the year 2000.
Last Updated on Thursday, 31 October 2013 13:16