The Energy Engineering Department was established in the year 2008. This was in response to the need for highly trained manpower to address the emerging challenges of climate change, scarcity of fossil fuels and the need to enhance energy security in Kenya.
Our graduates have been absorbed mainly in the energy sector such as renewable energy companies, consultancy firms, Ministry of Energy, Power generation plants, Nongovernmental organisations, among others.
We work closely with the Ministry of Energy and other stakeholders mainly in implementing demonstration projects, policy development, research and capacity building.
We strive to become a Centre of Excellence in Energy in the country and the East Africa region, providing world class training and research opportunities that are market driven and able to meet the challenges of today’s technology and community development.
To become the centre of excellence in training and research in Energy Technologies.
Call for Abstracts and Papers :
6th International Conference on Appropriate Technology
Date: November 25-29, 2014 .
Click here for more information
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Derhadun- India
- China University of Petroleum Beijing- China
- Kenya Electricity Generating Company (Kengen)
- Ministry of Energy and Petroleum (MOEP)National Oil Corporation of Kenya (NOCK)
Research and Staff
Our research activates in the past has mainly concentrated on renewable energy such as:
- Solar cookers
- Solar powered cooling, ice making and refrigeration
- Solar water pasteurization
- Solar crop dying
- Ethanol production
- Improved charcoal production technology
- Green tea drying technology
Academic Staff and Specialization
- Dr. Justus K. Laichena – Biomass Conversion Technologies
- Dr. Jeremiah K. Kiplagat- Renewable energy systems, Energy Management, Adsorption refrigeration
- Dr. Daniel Oyoo - Petroleum Chemistry (Petrochemistry), Industrial Chemistry
- Dr Bernard Kipsang Rop- Petroleum Engineering
- Mr. Elias Ako – Solar energy applications, Hydropower, Thermodynamics
- Mr. Charles Rioba – Solar energy
- Mrs. Dorothy Maina- Industrial Chemical Processes, Industrial Unit Operations, Material and Energy Balances
- Mr. Kiunga Isaac Karinguri-Sustainable Energy
- Mr. Tom Fred Ishugah-Power Engineering and Engineering Thermal Physics Engineering
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses offered
Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering (5 years)
Bachelor of Science in Energy Engineering (5 years)
Master of Science in Renewable Energy Technology (2 years)
Doctor of Philosophy in Renewable Energy Technology (3 years)
Student Profiles and Destinations
Upon graduation, our students find jobs mainly in the energy sector, both public and private enterprises such as Ministry of Energy and Petroleum, Kengen, Training institutes, Oil exploration companies, NGO’s, Research Institutes, Energy auditing firms, consultancy firms, among others. Our graduates also work as Energy Managers and auditors in organizations and also start their own energy companies.
Last Updated on Monday, 23 March 2015 11:45