Water Pollution, Industrial Ecology and Cleaner Production
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS AND GRANTS
Articles in Refereed Journals
Joint with students
- Gitau, J. K1,and Kitur, E.,1.(Aug 2014).Efficiency of Tibia wetland in the treatment of waste water. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) e-ISSN: 2319-2402, p-ISSN: 2319-2399. Volume 8 issue 8 Ver. II (Aug.2014), PP 00-00. www.iosrjournals.org.
- Nzeve, J.K.1, Njuguna, S. G1. and Kitur. E.C1. Bioaccumulation of Heavy Metals in Clariasgariepinus and OreochromisSpirulusniger from Masinga Reservoir, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) e-ISSN: 2319-2402, p-ISSN: 2319-2399. Volume8.Issue 10 Ver.1 (Oct. 2014). PP 58-63 www.iosrjournals.org..
- 3.Nzeve, J.K.1, Njuguna, S. G1, and Kitur. E.C1.Determination of Heavy metals in Sediments of Masinga Reservoir, Kenya.Journal of Environment and Earth Science. ISSN: 2224-3216, Vol.4, No.20,2014. www.iiste.org.
- 4.Nzeve, J.K.1, Njuguna, S. G1,and Kitur. E.C1. Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination in Surface Water of Masinga Reservoir, Kenya.Journal of Natural Sciences Research. ISSN 2224-3186 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0921. Vol.5.No.2, 2014.
- Gitau, J. K1,and Kitur1, May 2016: Variations in the levels of Physic-Chemical parameters of waste water before and after passing through tibia wetland and conformity to NEMAKenya and generalStandards Permissible Effluent Discharge Limits.IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT)E- ISSN: 2319-2402, P-ISSN:2319-2399, Volume 10, Issue 5 Ver. 1 (MAY 2016),PP 14-24.
- Ochieng J1. Kitur, E1. Obade, P1. August 2016.Assessment of Decay Coefficient of Allochthonous Litter for Sustainable Riparian Forage Agriculture and Environmental Monitoring, A Study in River Nyangores, Kenya. The Open Atmospheric Science Journal. Toascj@ benthamopen.org. BSP-TOASCJ-2016-7.
- 7.Manohar, S1; Kitur, E.L1 and Kibet, F.C1. (2016); Water Quality and Plant Species Composition of Selected Sites within Chemususu Dam, Baringo County, Kenya. Journal of Environmental and Analytical Toxicology. ISSN-216-0525 Jeat: Open Access Journal, Volume 6, Issue 4-1000390.
- Manohar, S1. Otieno A1.Kitur.E2. Planktonic Diatoms Species Composition and Water Characteristics along Selected Sites of River Ki sat, Kisumu County, Kenya. Journal of Environmental and Analytical Toxicology. 10. 4172/2161-0523.1000469.
- Otieno., A.A; Kitur, EL. and Gathuru, G. Physico- Chemical Properties Of River Kisat, Lake Victoria Catchment Kisumu County, Kenya, Journal of Environmental Pollution and Climate Change.2017. 1:137.104172/2573-458x, 1000137.
- Somoni,P.B1. E. Kitur1, Koske, J2. Effects of Human Activities on Quality of Water at Selected Points on River Rupingazi in EmbuCounty, Kenya.IJRDO- Journal of Biological Science. ISSN: 2455-7676. Volume 3, issue 9 September 2017.
- Ann Kimotho, Charles Ngugi, Esther kitur & Elijah Oyoo Okoth. Growth performance of Nile Tilapia cultured under different cage stocking densitiesin a cage-cum-pond system based on Laboratory conditions and among farmers in Kirinyaga County, Kenya. International journal of Fisheries and Aquatic studies, 2018, 6 (8).
- Mwanzia Thabitha Nzula* Gathuru Gladys* & Esther kitur* Physico-chemical effects of sand harvesting on water quality in River Thawake Machakos county, Kenya. . International journal of scientific and research publications, Volume 8, issue 9, Sept. 2018. DOI: 10.29322/1jsrt,8.9.2018p8197
- Kitur, E. Kotut, K & Kerich, R; Variations in the physic-chemical characteristics of water in the five peri- urban reservoirs in Kiambu and Nairobi counties,, Kenya.. Journal of Environmental and Analytical Toxicology. 10. 4172/2161-0523.1000469.
- Mthenge, M.W., Gathuru, G.M., Kitur, E.L 2019. Spatial- Temporal Land Use and Land Cover Changes in the Stony Athi River Sub Catchment, Kenya. Journal of applied geology and geophysics. ISSN 2321-0982, Volume 7 Issue 5, pp 43-49
- Kinyili, B.M., Ndunda, E. & Kitur, E. (2019). Trade-Off Between Agroforestry and Ecosystem Services among Smallholder Farmers in Machakos County, Kenya. East African Journal of Forestry & Agroforestry (EANSO) . 4(1): 13-23.
- 17.Kinyili, B.M., Ndunda, E., Kitur, E. (2020). Socio-Economic and Institutional Factors Influencing Adoption of Agroforestry in Arid and Semi Arid (ASALs) Areas of Sub Saharan Africa. International Journal of Forestry and Horticulture (IJFH) .6(1): 8-18.
- Kinyili, B.M., Ndunda, E., Kitur, E. (2020). Influence of Agroforestry on Rural Income and Livelihood of Smallholder Farmers in the Semi-Arid Region of Sub Saharan Africa. Journal of Tropical Forestry and Environment. 87-100.
- 19.Kinyili, B.M., Ndunda, E., Kitur, E. (2020). Influence of Duration of Agroforestry on Physico-Chemical Soil Quality Parameters in Machakos County, Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology for Development (JASETD). DedanKimathi University of Technology (5th DeKUT ICSTI&E). DOI: 10.33803/JASETD.2020.4-1.4.
Participation in workshop/conferences
- 9th African RCE On 26th June 2018, RCE-GN (Coordinator) with the support of NEMA, hosted a climate change awareness seminar which was attended by 26 participants from various organizations. The meeting was held at Central Park Hotel in Nairobi. The stakeholders shared best practices towards mitigation and adaptation to climate change.
- 24th- 28th April 20117, Participated in the training of trainer workshop on system theory and higher education didactics, Kenyatta University Nairobi, Kenya.
- 3rd -25th November, 2016-Participated in the 1st Eastern Africa Aquaculture Symposium and Exhibition (EAASE) 2016. Theme ‘Strengthening Aquaculture Value Chain in the Eastern Africa Region”. Venue, African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) Kiambu, Kenya. 23rd – 25th November, 2016. Presented a paper Impacts of Aquaculture Development on Quality of fish pond effluent and livelihoods of farmers in Gatundu, Kiambu.county
- 3rd -25th November, 2016-Participated in the 1st Eastern Africa Aquaculture Symposium and Exhibition (EAASE) 2016. Theme ‘Strengthening Aquaculture Value Chain in the Eastern Africa Region”. Venue, African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) Kiambu, Kenya. 23rd – 25thNovember, 2016.
- 24th- 26th August 2016- Participated in the sixth African regional centres of expertise conference 2016 ‘Empowering African RCEs’. Theme, “Developing capacities of African RCEs for the implementation of the Global Action Programme on ESD and the Achievement of Sustainable Development Goals.” Venue, Kenyatta University Conference Centre (Nairobi- Kenya).
- 25th to 27th April 2016- Participated in an international atomic energy conference (Atoms for peace) Conference , Expert mission to prepare the education and training review services and systematic assessment of regulatory competence needs. Venue, Kenyatta National Hospital Complex.
- 22nd to 23rd October 2015 –Participated in Natural Resources Management Curriculum development workshop. Venue, Kenyatta University.
- 1stDec-5thDec.2014, Participated in a Conference. The theme of the Conference was Bridging the gap between Science,Society and Industry. Organized by Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Horticulture Association of Kenya (HAK) and Nairobi University.Venue: Kenyatta University Business and Students\ Services Centre (BSSC).
Presentation of papers at Academic and professional Conference
- 3rd -25th November, 2016-Participated in the 1st Eastern Africa Aquaculture Symposium and Exhibition (EAASE) 2016. Theme ‘Strengthening Aquaculture Value Chain in the Eastern Africa Region”. Venue, African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD) Kiambu, Kenya. 23rd – 25th November, 2016. Presented a paper Impacts of Aquaculture Development on Quality of fish pond effluent and livelihoods of farmers in Gatundu, Kiambu.
Convening and coordinating Conferences
- Kenyan RCE Coordinators meeting 2018. The RCE coordinators and their youth counterparts held their annual meeting on 14th November 2018. The meeting was hosted by RCE Greater Nairobi (coordinator) at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies. The meeting was funded by NEMA.