Prof. Caleb Mireri
Participation/attendance of conferences/workshops
Participation/attendance of conferences/workshops
Presentation of papers at academic and professional conferences
- Co-presented a paper titled ‘Non – communicable disease prevention in Africa: challenges and opportunities for increasing physical activity levels and active transport in Kenya’, during 13th World Congress on Public Health: Towards Global Health Equity: opportunities and threats, 23 – 27.05.2012, Addis Ababa Ethiopia. 2. Presented a paper titled ‘Challenges and Possibilities of Ecologically
- Conscious Technologies in Africa: A Case of Kenyan Environmental Governance’, during a Symposium and Peace Building, Hekima College, Nairobi, March 5 – 7, 2012.
- Presented two papers jointly with my postgraduate students (Assessment of the opportunities and challenges of infrastructure and service delivery in Kianda area, Kibera Slum Settlements, Nairobi. (Mwikali & Waswa) and Assessment of the Effects of Habitat Transformation on the Nairobi National Park and Kitengela Ecosystem (Wanja and Waswa) during the National Environment Conference on Conserving and Managing the Environment for Sustainable Livelihoods, held on 19-21 May 2008 at Kenyatta University
- Presented a paper titled ‘Climate Change Adaptations among selected rural communities in the freshwater ecosystems in East Africa’ during the African Climate Change Fellowship Program round 1 culmination Conference, 8 – 10 December, 2010, held at Le Meridien President, Dakar, Senegal.
- Presented a paper titled Socio-economic Impact of Community Based Wildlife Conservation in Samburu District, Kenya, during a Scientific Workshop on Sustainable Natural Resource Management, held in Naivasha, organised by National Centre for Competence in Research North – South Programme hosted by CETRAD, (15 – 16.12.08)
- Presented a paper titled ‘Development of Environmental Protection Concepts’ during Fifth training course on Industrial Waste Water Management for Agro-based and allied Industries and Local Authorities, held in Kisumu Municipality, organised by Osianala, May 25 – June 06, 2008.
- Presented a paper titled ‘The Potential Impacts of Human Settlement on Groundwater Quality: A case study of Kisumu Municipality, Kenya, during a Summer School on Groundwater Quality & Rural Water Supply. Organised by Siegen University, Germany, September 03 – 15.2007
- Presented a research paper on Socio – economic Impact of Wildlife Conservation during a Regional Workshop on Dryland Ecosystems: Challenges and Opportunities for Sustainable Natural Resource Management, (Arusha Tanzania, June 2006).
- Attended a two-weeks training on Topics of Integrated Watershed Management at Siegen University, Germany (12.04 - 24.04.2005. During the training a presented a paper titled Challenges Facing the Conservation of Lake Naivasha, Kenya.
- Presented a paper titled “ Environmental Planning and Environmental Impact Assessment” during the 12th Africa Training Course on Local & Regional Planning, (February 22, 2007), Juja, organised by United Nations Centre for Regional Development
- Presented a paper titled “Emerging Issues on Sanitation and Solid Waste Management in East Africa, during a workshop on Partnership for Research on Viable Environmental Infrastructure in East Africa at Wageningen University, Netherlands November 30th /December 12, 2006
- Presented a paper titled Land and Water User Conflicts, Population Structure and Growth in the Bwathonar Watershed Nyambene Hills, Meru North District, Kenya during the ‘2006 Meru Summer School on Integrated Watershed Management’, July 2006
- Presented a paper titled Theoretical and Empirical Dilemma of Industrialisation during 2005 Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology Scientific, Technological and Industrialisation Conference at JKUAT, Nairobi, 27-28.10.2005.
- Presented a paper on ‘The Nexus between Spatial Planning and Desaster Management’ during an International Workshop on Disaster Management at Makerere University, Uganda, September 12-13, 2005. Organised by Makerere University.
- I presented a paper titled ‘The Impact of Export Processing Zones on Industrial Development in Kenya’ during the Association of Third World Studies Kenya Chapter Conference between 17th and 19th September 2001 at Egerton University.
Convening and coordination of workshops/Conferences
- Participated in the organisation of National Environment Conference on Conserving and Managing the Environment for Sustainable Livelihoods, held on 19-21 May 2008 at Kenyatta University
- Organised an international workshop on Partnership for Research on Viable Infrastructure Development in East Africa (involving Kenyatta University, Wageningen University, Makerere University and Ardhi University, held in Sunset Hotel Kisumu, 21 – 23, Nov 2007.
- Organised a Stakeholder Workshop on the Africa Network for Ecological Modernisation of Urban, Nairobi, September 2004, AVU Hall, Kenyatta University.
Research and publications
Articles in refereed journals – international journals
- Co – author (Stella K. Mbiti, M. Makworo) “Level of Participation in Urban Parks within Nairobi City County, Kenya”. Africa Habitat Review Journal. Volume 14, 1; pp 1711 – 1717; 2020
- Co – author (Stella K. Mbiti, M. Makworo) “Factors Influencing Diversity in Urban Park Utilization in Nairobi City County, Kenya”. Africa Habitat Review Journal. Volume 14, 1; 2020; pp 1765 - 1772
- Co-author (Dr. Paul Aloyo,Dr. Solomon Mwaniki, Dr. Peter Kamau and Dr. Dennis Karanja) “Mainstreaming the School Physical Environment in Learning Institutions: The Case of Secondary Schools in Nairobi County, Kenya” International Journal of Current Research. Vol. 12, 05, pp.11674-11683, 2020
- Co – author (David Mugengi, Jacob Kibwage) “Assessment of heavy metals concentration in mud cuttings of reserve pit 7 in Twiga 1 well pad South Lokichar Basin relative to acceptable levels in drinking water”. Journal of Biodiversity and environmental sciences. Vol 15, 1. pp 87 – 94, 2019
- Co-author (Adoyo Laji, Fatuma Daudi, Jeremiah Ayonga) “The Dual Pathways in the Process of Urban Development and their influence on Flood Damage in Kisumu City, Kenya” International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. Volume 7, 10, 2017.
- Co – author (Paul Muthee Kanyi, Dr.P.K Kamau) Assessment of the security preparedness and adherence to international civil aviation standards at Wilson Airport, Kenya. Journal of Humanities and Social Science. Volume 21, Issue 6, Ver. 3 (June. 2016) PP 23-41.
- Co – author (Dr C. Majale) Cooperation among small urban centres in the Lake Victoria Basin as a necessary strategy for managing solid waste: the case of Kisii, Homa Bay and Migori municipalities. Int. J. Environment and Waste Management. Vol. 13, No. 4, 2014; pp. 412 – 428
- Author of a scientific article “Assessment of the Contribution of Urban agriculture to employment, income and food security in Kenya: A case of Kisumu Municipality”. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Vol 8(23), pp. 2884 – 2896, 2013
- Co – author (Paul Matikua, Ogol Callistus) “The Impact of Participatory Forest Management on Local Community Livelihoods in the Arabuko‑Sokoke Forest, Kenya”. Conservation and Society. 11(2): 112-129, 2013
- Co – author (M. Makworo, B. O. Moirongo) “The effect of spatial planning patter on distribution of pebestrians in public places of residential neighbourhoods in Nairobi City. JAGST. Vol. 15(1) 2013
- Co – author of a scientific article (Matiku Paul, Ogol Callistus) “Does participatory forest management change household attitudes towards forest conservation and management?” African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. Vol. 6(5), pp. 237-346, 2012
- Co-author (Ocholla, G.O., Koske, J., Asoka ,G. W., Bunyasi. M.M., Pacha, O. Omondi, S. & Mireri, C.) of a scientific article titled ‘Assessment of Traditional Methods Used by the Samburu Pastoral Community in Human Wildlife Conflict Management’, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 3 No. 11; June 2013
- Co-author “Is participatory forest management (PFM) an asset or liability to local community households adjacent to Arabuko Sokoke Forest, Kenya?”, Journal of African Studies and Development, Vol.4(3), pp 96-104, April 2012
- Co – author of a scientific article titled “Participatory Natural Resource Management: Policy and Institutional Framework” (Part II), Environmental Policy and Law, The Journal of Decision – Makers, 41/6 (2011), pp 292 – 298;
- Co – author of a scientific article titled “Participatory Natural Resources Management: policy and institutional framework”, (Part I), Environmental Policy and Law, The Journal of Decision – Makers, 41/4 – 5 (2011), 232 – 239;
- Co – author of a scientific article titled “The impact of participatory forest management on forest integrity and biodiversity in Arabuko-Sokoke forest, Kenya”, African Journal of Ecology, pp 184 -192, 2011;
- Corresponding author of a scientific article titled ‘Public Open Spaces in Nairobi City - Kenya under Threat’, Journal of Environmental Planning & Management, 2011, Vol. 54, No. 8 pp 1107-1125;
- Corresponding author of a scientific article titled “The Socio – economic Impacts of Community – based Wildlife Conservation in Samburu District, Kenya”, Hekima Journal of the humanities and social sciences, Vol. V, Number 1, 2011, pp 80 – 94;
- Corresponding author of a scientific article titled “The Liberalisation of State – led Agriculture and its Implication on Rice Production and Growth of Wang’uru Town, Kenya”. Vol. 1, No. 2010;
- Lead author of a scientific article titled “Environmental Risks of Urban Agriculture in the Lake Victoria Drainage Basin: A case of Kisumu Municipality”. Habitat International Journal, 2007, Vol. 31/3-4 pp 375-386.
- Author of a scientific article titled ‘Private Investment in Urban Agriculture in Nairobi City, Kenya’. Urban Agriculture Magazine No 7, 2002. www.ruaf.org.
- Author of a scientific article titled, “The Impact of Export Processing Zone Development on Employment Creation in Kenya”, Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, Vol 21 No. 2, 2000.
Chapters in books
- Co-author of a scientific article (C. Majale, Peter Oosterveer) titled “Local governments and regional alliances in the delivery of municipal environmental services: Lessons learnt from municipalities in the Lake Victoria Basin of East Africa”, in Urban Waste and Sanitation Services for Sustainable Development: Harnessing social and technical diversity in East Africa, pp 108 – 128. Eds. by Bas van Vliet, Joost van Buuren and Shaaban Mgana. Routledge, Oxon, 2014.
10 | P a g e
- Co – author of a scientific article (Mireri, C. & Letema, S.) titled ‘Review of Environmental Governance in Kenya: Analysis of Environmental Policy and Institutional Frameworks’ in African Political Economic and Security Issues: Kenya Political, Social and Environmental Issues, pp 153-165, New York: Nova Publishers. 2013
- Co – author of a scientific article (Mireri, C. & Letema, S.) titled ‘Review of Environmental Governance in Kenya: Analysis of Environmental Policy and Institutional Frameworks’ in Handbook of Environmental Policy, pp 371 – 380, ISBN No. 978 – 60741 – 635 - 7, Nova Science Publishers, (www.novapublishers.com) 2010
- Author of (book chapter) titled ‘Irrigated Urban Agriculture in Kisumu Municipality, Kenya: Opportunities and Challenges’ in Agricultural Irrigation Research Progress. Eds Alonso, D. & Iglesias, H.J. Nova Science Publishers, 2008. ISBN 978-1-60456-579-9.
- Author of a scientific article titled ‘Challenges Facing the Conservation of Lake Naivasha, Kenya’. Weiterbildung Siegen, No 18 Vol. 3, Research Institute for Water & Environment, University of Siegen, Germany. DAAD Alumni Summer School 2005, Topics on Integrated Watershed Management.
- Lead author of a scientific article (Mireri, C., Letema, S. & Majale, C.) (book chapter) Water and Sanitation Service Delivery in Kenya in Environment & Sustainable Development: A guide for Higher Education in Kenya Vol II, 2007. Eds. – Waswa, F., Otor, S., Olukoye, D., and Mugendi D., pp 275 – 295. Downtown Printing Works: Nairobi. ISBN: 9966-776-34-6.
- Author of a scientific article, book chapter - Urbanisation Challenges in Kenya in a book ‘Environment & Sustainable Development in Kenya. Nairobi Downtown Printing Works, 2006 ISBN No. 9966-776-02-8
- Author of a book titled, “Trends and Instruments of Industrial Development in Kenya” in May 2000, ISBN 3-8265-7496-6, Shaker Verlag, Aachen.
Publications in Conference Proceeding
- Corresponding author of a paper (Mwele, E., Mireri, C. Oguge, N.) titled Socio – economic Impact of Wildlife Conservation in Samburu District, Kenya, in conference Proceeding on Drylands Ecosystems: Challenges and Opportunities for Sustainable Natural Resource Management. Dar es Salaam: Research Programme on Sustainable Use of Drylands Bio – Diversity. ISBN: 9987-9034-2-8
- Author of a paper titled Theoretical and Empirical Dilemma of Industrialisation in ‘Leveraging Indigenous Products and Technologies through Research for Industrialisation and Development. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, 2006. ISBN No. 9966-923-28-4.