Ph.D. (Oct. 2013- Sept. 2016): University of Cologne, Germany
M.A (2010-2012): University of Cologne, Germany
B.A (2004-2008): University of Nairobi, Kenya
Areas of Specialization:
Research / Publications
- Kioko, E. M & Gravesen M. Cooperation in the midst of conflict: cattle raids and land deals in Laikipia and Narok, Kenya (Accepted and under review at the Africa Journal, Cambridge)
- Kioko, E. M. & Okumu W. (2018). Appeasing the land: local peace committees and the legitimation of traditional peacemaking in Kenya. Journal of African-Centred Solutions in Peace and Security (AfSol) Vol. 2 (1) May 2018, pp. 80 – 112. http://www.ipss-addis.org/y-file-store/resources/publication//afsol_journal_v2_opt.pdf
- Kioko, Eric Mutisya (2017), Conflict Resolution and Crime Surveillance in Kenya: Local Peace Committees and Nyumba Kumi, in: Africa Spectrum, 52, 1, 3–32. Open Access http://journals.sub.uni-hamburg.de/giga/afsp/
- Kioko, Eric Mutisya (in print). Culture and conservation: environmental stewardship in rapidly changing African environments, in: Mazingira Yetu, April 2017.
- Kioko, Eric Mutisya (2016). Turning conflict into coexistence: cross-cutting ties and institutions in the agro-pastoral borderlands of Lake Naivasha basin, Kenya. PhD
- Thesis, Universität zu Köln. URL: http://kups.ub.uni-koeln.de/id/eprint/7064
- Kioko, Eric Mutisya (2016). Forgotten peace in resource use. In: People and Land, a publication by the Resilience in East Africa Landscapes Research Group. ISBN: 978-
- 0-9573771-5-8. www.real-project.eu
- Kioko, E. M. & Bollig, M. (2015). Cross-cutting Ties and Coexistence: Intermarriage,Land Rentals, and Changing Land Use Patterns among Maasai and Kikuyu of Maiella
- and Enoosupukia, Lake Naivasha Basin, Kenya. Rural Landscapes: Society,Environment, History, 2(1): 1, pp. 1-16, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.16993/rl.ad
- Kioko, E. M. (2015). Regional Varieties and “Ethnic” Registers of Sheng, In Nico Nassenstein and Andrea Hollington (eds.) Youth Languages Practices in Africa and
- Beyond. Mouton de Gruyter. Berlin, pp. 119-148.
- Kioko, E. M. (2013). Poverty and Livelihood Strategies at Lake Naivasha, Kenya: A Case Study of Kasarani Village. Köln, Hundt Druck GmbH, [ISSN 2194-1556].
- (Accepted for Publication) Ungoverned Spaces, Marginalisation and Informalisation of Violence in Northern Kenya- the Case of Kenya Police Reservists. AfSol journal
- (with Okumu Willis, ZEF, Bonn).
- (Accepted for Publication) Appeasing the land: local peace committees and comanagement of conflicts in rural Kenya. AfSol journal (with Okumu Willis, ZEF,
- Cooperation in the midst of conflict: cattle raids and land deals in Laikipia and Narok,Kenya. For submission to Africa journal (with Marie Gravesen, University of
- Selected International Confrence Presentations
- 2017 (June 7-9). Global South on the Move: Transforming Capitalism, Knowledge and Ecologies, in Cologne, Germany. Paper presentation, ‘Conservation in a violent
- environment: social-ecological change, community-based conservancies, and emergent value chains.
- 2017 (April 1-5): Intrastate conflict. Conference of the DAAD African Good Governance Network (AGGN) in Bonn, Germany. Paper presentation, ‘Violent Valley: Land
- Settlement, Politics, and peacebuilding in Kenya’
- 2017 (Jan 10-15): Global South Studies Centre, University of Cologne. Workshops on “Future Conservation: Towards an African Eden?” organised under the project, “Future
- Rural Africa: Future-making and social-ecological transformation”, in Cologne, Germany.
- 2015 (Sept): Conference ‘Diversity of Violence in East Africa. PRIO/BIEA, 3rd -5th Sept. (Presented a paper)
- 2015 (Aug): Post graduate conference on land and conflicts, University of Dar es Salaam,Tanzania (Presented a paper)
- 2013 (Sept): The UNESCO International Conference on Global Ethics for Peace and Security : Africa-Asia-Pacific”, 3-4 Sept, Nairobi (Presented a paper).
- 2013 (Feb): Mobility, Networks, and Institutions in the Management of Natural Resources in Contemporary Africa. VW Project Seminar – Katima Mulilo, Namibia; 1st -6th Feb 2013
- (Presented a paper).
- 2012 (Aug): Pan-African Anthropological Association Conference at University of Nairobi “Africa, Anthropology and the MDG´s; 13-14 August 2012 (Presented a paper).
- 2012 (June): Conference of the African Studies Association in Germany (VAD): Embattled Spaces – Contested Orders (30/05 – 02/06/2012) .
- 2011 (Oct): Tropentag, Development on the margin. International Research on Food Security, Natural Resource Management, and Rural Development. Bonn, Germany.
Training Courses and Technical Workshops
- January 2017: Shifting Bio-cultural Frontiers: Reterritorialization and Global entanglements in Conservation Areas of South and Eastern Africa. Workshop organized by the Global South Studies Centre, University of Cologne, Germany (12-14 Jan).
- July 2016: Food Security in Local, Regional and Global Perspectives; University of Warwick, UK. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Mar 2016: Long Term in Conservation; Africa Conservation Centre, Nairobi. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- May 2015: Workshop, ‘Resilient Pasts and Sustainable Futures; University of Ghent, Belgium. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Nov 2014: Cross-disciplinary perspectives on landscape resilience in East Africa; University of York, UK. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Nov 2014: Research communication, organisation and inter-sectoral skills and grants writing; University of York, UK. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Apr 2014: Scientific Video Production and Reporting; BIEA/Nairobi Arboretum/Multimedia University, Kenya. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Mar 2014: Workshop on Remote Sensing, Archival Sources and Historical Methods; British Institute in East Africa (BIEA) and National Museums of Kenya.
- Mar 2014: Workshop on Social Science and Humanities Field Research; BIEA & NMK. Supported by Marie Curie ITN.
- Feb 2014: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) methods and challenges; Stockholm University, Sweden. Supported by Marie Curie ITN
Last Updated on Tuesday, 11 December 2018 07:05