Welcome and thank you for taking time to visit the Department of Tourism Management website.
The Department of Tourism Management provides academic leadership in Tourism training and research. We excel in training professionals and leaders that provide a valuable impact on the tourism sector within the region. We are focussed on advancing the scale of tourism research within the region and work very closely with the state and non-state actors in the region.
Tourism accounts for about 10 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), making it the third largest contributor to GDP after agriculture and manufacturing. It is also Kenya's leading foreign exchange earner, yielding about USD 807 million in 2009. The tourism sector's contribution to employment generation has grown by about 3% annually and earnings per employee growing by 18% over the last five years The sector is also a major source of Government Revenue in the form of taxes, duties, license fees, entry fees among others. Tourism has consequently been identified as a lead sector that can help achieve the goals of the country’s development blueprint, Vision 2030.
We kindly invite you to review our program information. Use the links provided and have a look at our programs that are crafted to prepare you for a career in Tourism.
- Our vision is to be a dynamic centre of professional excellence in tourism learning and research
- We seek to provide high quality professional instruction, research and community service in Hospitality and Tourism Management
Our Departmental Strategic Initiative
The Department is committed to:
- Promote scholarship, service and academic leadership in Tourism;
- Uphold high standards in Tourism teaching, and learning;
- Augment science and technological advancements in Tourism;
- Monitor and evaluate the impacts of international, regional and local Tourism plans, policies and performances in the industry;
- Organize, coordinate and disseminate research activities in tourism areas for the benefit of humanity;
- Develop linkages and collaboration with the Tourism industry.
The School of Tourism Management is located at the School of Hospitality and Tourism Complex. The department also has a branch at the Mombasa Campus.
The Department's Specialty & Branding
The Department of Tourism Management seeks to be the key source of human resource and a significant disseminator of relevant and industry-oriented research.
The Department offers the following programmes (Please see academic programmes (link) for further details):-
- Bsc. In Tourism Management
- Masters in International Tourism
- Diploma in Tourism (Development in progress)
- Diploma in Meetings and Events Management (Proposed)
- Bsc. In Tourism Management (Existing in ODEL)
- Bsc. In Hospitality and Tourism Management (Existing)
- Bsc. In Travel Administration (Proposed)
- Bsc. In Ecotourism Management (Proposed)
- Bsc. In Marine Tourism (Proposed)
- Bsc. In Meetings & Events Management (Development in progress)
- Msc. In Tourism Management (Existing)
- PhD. In Tourism (Existing)
International Tourism Conferences
- International Conference on Sustainable Tourism, Events Planning and Policy, which takes place between 29th October and the 1st of November 2014, in Kunming China. http://www.2014sucretconference.com/
- 8th UNWTO/PATA Forum on Tourism Trends and Outlook scheduled to be held in Guilin, China from 13-15 October 2014.http://www.2014sucretconference.com/
- 6th Advances in Tourism Marketing (ATMC) Conference, 8.-10. September 2015, Joensuu, Finland
- CALL FOR PAPERS. Tourism engagement: co-creating well-being http://www.uef.fi/en/atmc2015
- “First East-West Dialogue on Tourism and the Chinese Dream” at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the Gold Coast from 13 to 15 of November 2014http://www.chinesedream.conferenceonline.com.au/
- Tourism Methodologies New Perspectives, Practices and Procedures. A Doctoral Colloquium (2 ECTS). An event organized in conjunction with the ATLAS annual conference http://www.atlas-euro.org/event_2014_budapest_phd/tabid/235/language/en-US/Default.aspx
- World Conference on Hospitality, Tourism and Event Research (WHTER) & International Convention and Expo Summit (ICES) 2015. “New Paradigm Era and Roles of Tourism”May 20 ~ 22, 2015 http://iibaconference.org/
- CAUTHE 2015, Southern Cross University Coolangatta, Gold Coast, Australia, February 2-5 2015. Rising Tides and Sea Changes: Adaptation and Innovation in Tourism and Hospitality. http://cauthe.org/
Tel: +254 020-8710901 Ext. 57533;
Last Updated on Thursday, 03 July 2014 12:23