Welcome to School of Applied Human Sciences
The School of Applied Human Sciences (SAHS) has continued to grow as it trains graduates in areas related to quality of life. The areas include Community Resource Management; Fashion Design; Foods & Nutrition; Physical and Health Education; Recreation Management and Sports Science, from Diploma to PhD level. Departments within the School continue to review existing programmes and curriculum and develop new ones in line with new developments arising from the demands of the job market.
As a result, one new programme has been developed: Postgraduate Diploma in Foods Nutrition & Dietetics and is already operational. The school has seen an increase in the student enrolment from approximately 300 at inception in 2008 to approximately 2000 students currently.
In performance contracting 2011/2012, the School was ranked the 2nd best and had the best two Departments in the University .The School is also proud to be associated with 8 members of staff who were highly ranked as Deans, Chairmen of Departments and Directors. In view of this, we wish to congratulate all the members of staff for their continued hard work. We look forward to an even better rank in the next evaluation.
The School has continued to hold seminars where research results and information by staff and students are disseminated. Some are actively engaged in various forums including, the Nile Basin Programme Team at theUniversity of Bergen, Norway; Special Olympic Strategic Plan Steering Committee Participation and Staff exchange programme, students' exchange with the University of Manitoba(Canada), University of Oklahoma and to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute (CHEO-RI).
The School has active links with universities and institutions through its Departments: University of Manitoba (Canada);University of Volda (Norway); Muscle Research Centre, Copenhagen (Denmark); Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute (CHEO-RI) (Canada); Portland State University-Oregon (USA); University of Cape Town (South Africa); Kyambogo University (Uganda); and University of Karlsruhe (Germany).
News and Events
1. The School of Applied Human Sciences graduated three (3) PhD candidates during the 35th Graduation Ceremony held on 20th December, 2013, and another four (4) during the 36th Graduation Ceremony.
2. The School has also realized an increase in the number of graduands of Master of Science candidates. During the 35th and 36th graduation ceremonies, a total of 13 candidates graduated.
3. The Department of Foods, Nutrition & Dietetics was audited by the Kenya Nutritionists and Dieteticians Institute (KNDI) and awarded a Certificate of Compliance .
4. The Department of Community Resource Management & Extension is developing a Baby Care Centre that aims at advancing the 6 months breastfeeding programme within the University and to provide a safe environment for nurturing 3 – 18 months old, among other objectives.
5. The Department of Recreation Management & Exercise Science has developed a proposal for upgrading the Campsite which is also the department’s income generating project.
6. The Department of Fashion Design & Marketing has presented a proposal for the establishment of a Fashion Boutique at the University.