Dr. Juliana Kiio
Title/Qualifications: BSc, Msc, PhD
- Kiio J. N., Kilonzo F., Kyalo D., Muui C.& Mathenge S. Potential For Wastewater Re-use In Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture to Mitigate Household Food Insecurity in Nairobi, Kenya. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Kiio J. N., Kilonzo F., Kyalo D., Muui C.& Mathenge S. Potential For Wastewater Re-use In Urban and PeriUrban Agriculture to Mitigate Household Food Insecurity in Nairobi, Kenya. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Cherono S., Munyaka A.W. & Kiio J. N. Eﬀect of Aﬂatoxin Exposure on Micronutrient Defciencies and Growth Retardation among Young Children: A Review. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Cherono S., Munyaka A.W. & Kiio J.N. Assessment of Dietary Aﬂatoxin Awareness and Exposure Levels and Vitamin A Status of Children (6-23) Months Attending Makueni County Referral Hospital. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Kyalo D., Kilonzo F., & Kiio J. N., Who Cares? Consumer Attitudes and Purchase Decisions on Peri-urban Agricultural Commodities in the Absence of Information Asymmetry. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Munyaka A., Kiio J. N., Gachoya J.& Ondiek F. Heavy Metal Contamination of Sugar and the Sugar Chain Products in Nairobi and the Environs, Kenya. International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Kiio Juliana & Bruno De Meulenaer. Is the detection of peanut proteins by ELISA method affected by processing treatments? International Food Safety Conference, 20th to 24th May, 2019, Kenyatta University Kenya.
- Juliana Kiio, S.Ochola, E. Kuria and R. Nduati. Bioequivalence of Micronutrient Powders to Conventional Fortification on Serum Zinc Levels IUNS 21st ICN International Congress of Nutrition at Buenos Aires, Argentina 15-20th October 2017 at the Sheraton Buenos Aires Hotel & Convention Centre.
- Juliana Kiio, S.Ochola, E. Kuria and R. Nduati. Is Home Fortification Effective on Improving Serum Zinc Levels Among Moderately Malnourished Children – A Case of Thika Urban Slums, Kenya. National Food and Nutrition Symposium “Mainstreaming Nutrition Innovations for Sustainable development” November 23 – 24, 2016, Nairobi, Kenya (Oral Presentation).
- J. Kiio, S.Ochola, E. Kuria, R. Nduati and J. Okoth. Micronutrient Powders: Does the Anti-Nutrient Content Affect the In Vitro Bio-accessibility of Iron and Zinc? Integrated Nutrition Conference, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), November 14-15, 2016, Nairobi, Kenya, (Oral Presentation).
- Juliana Kiio:Community Screening and Assessment of Dietary Intake for Food Supplementation among Malnourished Children Aged 6-36 Months in Thika Urban Slums, Kenya.1st Global Conference on Patient -Centered Care at Kenyatta University; Nairobi, Kenya.29th September -2nd October 2015
- Juliana Kiio:Dietary Intake, Iron and Zinc Status of Moderately Malnourished Children Aged 6-36 Months in Thika Urban Slums, Kenya.Federation of African Nutrition Societies (FANUS) 3rd Conference, Arusha, Tanzania.25th -29th May 2015
- Juliana Kiio: Generation of chicken antibodies for the immunochemical detection of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) proteins Nairobi, Kenya 3rd to 6th May, 2011NCST
- Kiio, J., Ochola, S., Nduati, R., Kuria, E., Mathenge, S., & Okoth, J. (2022). Bioequivalenceof micronutrient powders to Corn-soy Blend on serum zinc concentration of children (6-36 months) with Moderate Acute Malnutrition in Thika urban slums, Kenya: A clusterrandomized controlled trial. PloS one, 17(9), e0274870.https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0274870
- SK Kivaya, JN Kiio & Eunice W. Njogu (2022).Training, knowledge and skills of community health volunteers on complementary feeding of children aged 6-23 months in Machakos, Kenya. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health 9 (7), 3082-3089.
- Nyakundi, P., Kiio, J., & Munyaka, A. (2022). Serum ferritin levels are associated with frequent consumption of iron- and ascorbate-rich foods among women of childbearing age in Nandi County, Kenya. Journal of Nutritional Science, 11, E6. doi:10.1017/jns.2022.5
- Mwanzia, M., Kiio, J., & Okoth, E. (2022). Formulation, Processing and Characterization of Fermented Probiotic Mango Juice Using Selected Starter Cultures. European Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences, 4(1), 86-91. https://doi.org/10.24018/ejfood.2022.4.1.437
- Patrick Nyamemba Nyakundi, Juliana Kiio & Ann Munyaka. Does Education Level, Household Income, Budget for Food and Birth Interval Predict the Iron Status of Women of Childbearing age in Nandi County, Kenya?”. EC Nutrition 15.10 (2020): 41-49.
- Fidelis N. Kilonzo, Winnie M. K., Joyce W. K., Juliana K., Daniel K., Catherine M., and Scholastica M., (2020) Wastewater Reuse For Urban And Peri-Urban Agriculture: Why It's Not Happening Soon? Journal of Engineering in Agriculture and the Environment (JEAE),
Volume 6. No 2 pg .32-40
- Co-author, Kenyan Food Composition Tables (KFCT) policy brief 2018. Improving decision making through food composition data, the Kenyan Food Composition Tables (KFCT): an essential tool for policy makers, health practitioners, researchers, industry and agricultural sector.
J. Kiio & B. De Meulenaer (2011). Immuno-chemical detection of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) proteins using chicken antibodies. Food and Agricultural Immunology, 1-10.
- J. Kiio & B. De Meulenaer. (2014). Generation of chicken antibodies for the immunochemical detection of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) proteins. The National Council for Science (NCST) - 4 th Annual Conference for Dissemination of Research Results and
Exhibition of Innovations held between 3rd to 6th May, 2011.Conference proceedings
- 2023-2028: COMBATING MALNUTRITION IN AFRICA THROUGH DIVERSIFICATION OF THE FOOD SYSTEM. EU research Consortium on HEALTHYDIETS4AFRICA; Kenyatta University-Kenya, Justus-LiebigUniversity Giessen-Germany, AfricaRice-Ivory Coast, Katolieke Universiteit Leuven-Belgium, Universiteit Gent-Belgium, Max Planck Gesellschaft-Germany, Centro de Investigación y Tecnología Agroalimentaria de Aragon-Spain,Centre d'Excellence Régional contre la Faim et la Malnutrition-Ivory Coast, Africa Projects Development Centre-Nigeria, MANOBI Africa -Mauritius, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture -Nigeria, Food Security for Peace and Nutrition- Africa-Kenya, De Montfort University-UK, University of Dschang-Cameroon, Entreprise en Sante et Securité au Travail-Ivory Coast, Universitätsklinikum Heidelberg-Germany, Agri-Business Vocational Training CenterCameroon, International Plant Genetic Resources Institute-Italy, Opportunities Industrialization Center-Ivory Coast & University of Copenhagen - Denmark
- 2022-2024: Catalyzing food environment policy actions towards a healthy diet and prevention of non-communicable diseases in Kenya (Food Environment Policy-Action; FEPAction)”. Funded by IDRC, Canada. Collaborators: APHRC, MOH, JKUAT & GAIN
- 2016-2017: Evaluation of the potential for an Eco-friendly Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (UPA) system. A collaborative project funded by the Kenyatta University Vice Chancellor Grant.
- 2012-2014: Bioequivalence of Micronutrient Powders to Conventional Fortification on Zinc Status of Moderately Malnourished Children Aged 6-36 Months in Thika Informal 7 Settlements, Kenya. A research project funded by the National Research Fund (NRF), Kenya.
- October 2018: Training of farmer groups on Post-harvest handling of fruits and vegetables and value addition of the produce. A project funded by the African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD).
- May 2010: Acceptability of Wheat and Maize Flour Fortified using Different Iron Fortificants (Sulphate, Fumerate, EDTA), A project funded by Flour Fortification Initiative (FFI). This work was published: Randall, P., Johnson, Q. and Verster, A. (2012). Fortification of wheat flour and maize meal with different iron compounds: Results of a series of baking trials. Food & Nutrition Bulletin. Supplement 3, Vol. 33, pS344-S359. 16p. 16p.
- Field supervisor in a National Large Country-Lot Quality Assurance Survey on Micronutrient Supplementation in Kenya by the Micronutrient Initiative (MI) and the Ministry of Health (MoH) from 10th to 22t.h January 2016.
- Field supervisor in a National Large Country-Lot Quality Assurance Survey on Micronutrient Supplementation in Kenya by the Micronutrient Initiative (MI) and the Ministry of Health (MoH) from 5th to 17t.h February 2014.
Workshops & Training
- FAO/INFOODS training on Food composition databases 17 – 20 November 2015 - Nairobi Kenya.
- Nutrition in emergencies module, Kenyatta University FAO/FSAU: training workshop may 3rd-6th 2011.
- Training of millers and regulatory staff on quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) in support of national flour fortification programmes and workshop on monitoring and surveillance for public health and nutrition managers organized by Flour Fortification Initiative(FFI)/smarter futures – 4-7 April 2011 Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
- Neglected and Underutilized Plant Species (NUS), Nairobi 24 - 28 November 2008 - Organized by Bioversity International and International Foundation for Science, Sweden.
- The 20th anniversary symposium on "Research in Applied Nutrition: Challenges and Expectations" in Brussels 3rd December, 2004 organized by Nutrition Third World and the Royal Academy of Overseas Sciences of Belgium.
Affiliation to Professional Bodies
- Kenya Nutritionists and Dieticians Institute (KNDI)
- African Nutrition Society (ANS)
- Nutrition Society (NS)
National and International awards and Recognitions
- 3rd best presenter in the 4th Annual Conference for Dissemination of Research Results and Exhibition of Innovations held between 3rd to 6th May, 2011, at KICC, Nairobi.National Council for Science (NCST 2011