Title/ Qualifications: MB Ch B, MMed (Paed), PhD (Public health).
Department/Unit/Section: Paediatrics and Child Health
Contact Address: 19533, 00202, Nairobi, Kenya
Position: Chairperson and Lecturer
Download Full CV
Area of Specialization: Paediatrics
Research Interests: Infectious diseases, tropical diseases, Paediatric tuberculosis and paediatric HIV.
- Dr. Okwara, Bacteraemia and U.T.I in children with severe malaria Mombasa, Kenya, April 2001
- Okwara FN, Oyore JP, Were FN, Gwer S2017Correlates of isoniazid prophylaxis failure for tuberculosis prevention among child household contacts with infectious tuberculosis in high burden settings in Nairobi, Kenya - a cohort study.BMC Infectious Diseases.Doi: 10.1186/s12879-017-2719-8
- Makau GM, Okwara FN, Oyore JP: 2015 ‘Early Infant Diagnosis’ and treatment of HIV among HIV exposed and infected infants in Baba Dogo and Kariobangi slums, Nairobi County, East and Central African Medical Journal 2078 - 5909 2 (2): 80- 88.
- Okwara F, Makewa D, Karo E. 2015 Cryptococcocal meningitis in a 5 month old HIV negative child with Rickets- a case report East and Central African Medical Journal 2078 - 59092 (2): 92- 94.
- Okwara F, OyoreJ P, Were F 2014 Challenges that fraught isoniazid prophylaxis as a child tuberculosis prevention strategy in child household contacts of adults with tuberculosis from high burden settings, Nairobi, Kenya; East and Central African Medical Journal 2078 - 5909 1 (2): 82- 88.
- Masinde AL, Okwara FN, Okello AB. 2012 Prescribed food diets for HIV infected children. Lambert academic Publishing, 2012. ISBN:978-3-659-14354-0.
- Okwara F., Obimbo E, Wafula E, Murila.F., 2004, Bacteraemia, Urinary tract infections and malaria in hospitalized febrile children in Nairobi. Is there an association?, East African Medical Journal., Vol 81, No. 1, January 2004.
- Dr. Okwara, 2000, Co-morbidities in children admitted with Severe malaria
- Rono H, Okwara F, Otieno M., 2011, Factors influencing the utilization of ‘Early Infant diagnosis’ among HIV positive women in Kericho district.
- Masinde L, OkwaraF 2009, The effectiveness and challenges of ‘Insta’ prescribed food diets to HIV infected children at Lea Toto, Kangemi,
- Ochuka B, Okwara F, 2011, Programmatic challenges of ready to eat food prescribed food diets’ among HIV positive children in Siaya district.
Affiliation to Professional Bodies
- Name of professional body
- Member of the Kenya Medical Association.
- Member of the Kenya Pediatrics Association.
- Member of Kenyatta University Academic staff Union
- Member of the Kenya Women in Medicine Association.