Area of Specialization: Medical Virology
Research Interests: Molecular epidemiology and evolution of viruses, Viral oncogenesis
- George GacharaOne HIV clinic’s experience: Mortality and associations with mortality in people living with HIV initiated on ART in Limpopo, South AfricaAbidjan, Côte d´Ivoire3rd-10th December 2017
George Gachara Evaluating adherence to antiretroviral therapy using pharmacy refill records in a rural treatment site in South Africa Thohoyandou, South Africa 16th – 17th March 2017
- George GacharaSerologic and genotypic characterization of hepatitis B virus in HIV-1 infected patients from South West and Littoral Regions of Cameroon.Thohoyandou, South Africa16th – 17th March 2017
George Gachara Assessing the cascade of HIV diagnosis, care and treatment in a rural South African setting. Fort Lauderdale, USA 9th – 11th May 2016
George Gachara Origins, molecular epidemiology, and genetic diversity of Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus in Kenya: A Bayesian Coalescent Analysis. Nairobi, Kenya 16th -17th October 2014
George Gachara Burden of human rhinovirus infectionsin influenza like illnesses in Kenya. Cape Town, South Africa 2nd-5th April 2014
George Gachara Evolutionary analyses of influenza A/H1N1pdm virus during the early, peak and late phases of the pandemic in Kenya. Nairobi, Kenya 18th -19th October 2012
- George Gachara, Comparison of selection pressures on the Haemagglutinin (HA) gene of pandemic (2009) and seasonal influenza A viruses in Kenya, Istanbul/Turkey, 23rd – 26nd March 2012
- George Gachara, Sequence analysis of the Neuraminidase (NA) gene of pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus in Kenya Istanbul/Turkey, 23rd – 26nd March 2012
- George Gachara, The molecular evolution of two internal genes, M & NS in pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus, Nairobi, Kenya, 8-9 September 2011
- George Gachara, Evolutionary Pattern of the Hemagglutinin Gene of Influenza B Viruses isolated in Kenya 2005-2009., Nairobi/Kenya, 9th -11th February 2011
- Samuel Symekher, Prevalence And Seasonality Of Influenza Viruses In Nairobi, Kenya; 2001-2009, Accra/Ghana, 11th – 12th January, 2011
- Opanda S, Bulimo W, Gachara G, Ekuttan C, Amukoye E. Assessing antigenic drift and phylogeny of influenza A (H1N1) pdm09 virus in Kenya using HA1 sub-unit of the hemagglutinin gene. PLoS One. 2020;15(2):e0228029.
- Etta EM, Alayande DP, Mavhandu-Ramarumo LG, Gachara G, Bessong PO. HHV-8 Seroprevalence and Genotype Distribution in Africa, 1998 - 2017: A Systematic Review. Viruses. 2018;10(9).
- Gachara G, Magoro T, Mavhandu L, Lum E, Kimbi HK, Ndip RN, Bessong P.O.2017 Characterization of occult hepatitis B virus infection among HIV positive patients in Cameroon.AIDS Research and TherapyVol 14(1):11
- Gachara G, Mavhandu LG, Rogawski ET, Manhaeve C, Bessong PO.2017Evaluating Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy Using Pharmacy Refill Records in a Rural Treatment Site in South AfricaAids Research and Treatment2017:5456219
- Magoro T, G Gachara, L Mavhandu, E Lum, H. K Kimbi, R. N Ndip, P. O Bessong.2016Serologic and genotypic characterization of hepatitis B virus in HIV-1 infected patients from South West and Littoral Regions of Cameroon.Virology JournalVol 13:178.
- Gachara G, Symekher S, Otieno M, Magana J, Opot B, Bulimo W2016 Whole genome characterization of human influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses isolated from Kenya during the 2009 pandemicInfection Genetics and EvolutionVol 40:98-103
Milanoi S, Ongus JR, Gachara G, Coldren R, Bulimo W 2016 Serotype and genetic diversity of human rhinovirus strains that circulated in Kenya in 2008 Influenza and Other Respiratory
Viruses 2016 Doi: 10.1111/irv.12373
- Hassan, J. A.,G. Gachara,F. Mbugua, J. Muchiri, S. Symekhah, G. Nakitari, P. Borus, T. Kamau, and J. Kombich, 2014, Potency status of oral polio virus vaccine among retrieved field samples in Kenya, International Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol 21 (2014): 441
- S. Symekher, G. Gachara, J. Simwa, J. Gichogo, M. Rotich, M. Ng’ayo and J. Magana, 2013, Human Bocavirus Infection in Children with Acute Respiratory Infection in Nairobi, Kenya, Open Journal of Medical Microbiology Vol. 3 No. 4, 2013, pp. 234-238.
- Janet Majanja, Rachel Achilla, Rose Njoroge, Sylvanus Mukunzi, Meshack Wadegu, Wallace D. Bulimo, James Njiri, Josphat Mwangi, George Gachara and Eyako K. Wurapa, 2013, Impact of the influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus on the circulation dynamics of the seasonal influenza strains in Kenya, American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol 88(5), 2013, pp. 940–945
- Wallace D. Bulimo, George Gachara, Benjamin H. Opot, Margaret W. Murage and Eyako K. Wurapa, 2012, Evidence in Kenya of reassortment between seasonal influenza A(H3N2) and influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 to yield A(H3N2) variants with the matrix gene segment of A(H1N1)pdm09 African Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics Vol. 1 No. 1 Pages 1-7
- Gachara George, Symekher Samuel, Mbithi John, Simwa James, Ng’ayo Musa, Magana Japheth and Bulimo Wallace., 2011, Amino acid sequence analysis and identification of mutations in the NS gene of 2009 influenza A (H1N1) isolates from Kenya., Virus Genes, ISSN: 0920-8569
- George Gachara, Wallace Bulimo, Japheth Magana, James Simwa and Samwel Morris Symekher., 2011, Evolutionary Pattern of the Hemagglutinin Gene of Influenza B Viruses isolated in Kenya 2005-2009., African Journal of Health Sciences, Vol 19 No 3-4 (Supplementary): 77