|Position: Associate Professor
Department: Pharmacy and Complementary /Alternative Medicine,
School of Health Sciences, Kenyatta University.
Contact Address: P.O. BOX, 43844-00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
Fax (+254) 20 8711575
Download Full CV
As an Associate Professor in the School of Medicine at Kenyatta University (KU), my expertise is in teaching and research in the areas of Semiochemistry, Pharmacognosy, Complementary /Alternative Medicine and Nutrition in therapy. I am the founder and 1st Chairman of the department of Pharmacy and Complementary /Alternative Medicine (PCAM) at KU.
Previously, I was a Snr Lecturer in the department of PCAM, a Lecturer and Tutorial Fellow in the Dept of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Nairobi, where I taught topics in Pharmacognosy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
I was an Associate Scientific Officer, Scholar in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Science (ARRPIS), a Postdoctoral Fellow and an honorary Visiting Scientist in the Behavioural and Chemical Ecology Department (BCED) at the International Centre of Insect physiology and Ecology (ICIPE).
I was a Visiting Research Fellow at the Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in Massachusetts USA, in the department of Developmental & Molecular Pathways (DMP). I hold a PhD in Semiochemistry, an MSc in Phytochemistry and a BSc in Chemistry all from the University of Nairobi, Kenya.
I undertook a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemical Ecology at ICIPE, Kenya. I have undertaken an Advanced Training Program of Research and Development of Medicinal Plants at Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in China.
I have supervised several postgraduate students at Masters and PhD level. I spearheaded the development of the Pharmacy degree course and wrote a 5 Year Strategic Plan for the department of PCAM.
I was the founding chairman of the KU Ethics Review Committee and a board member of the KU Research Review and Advisory Board (URRAB). I am an Editor of the East And Central Africa Medical Journal. I was a member of the committee that reviewed the KU Vision and Strategic Plan and a board member of the Confucius Institute at KU.
I was the Vice–President of the (ARPPIS) Scholars Association (ASA) and formerly a member of the Governing Council of Kenya Chemical Society.
I am a member of the African Association of Insect Scientists (AAIS) and Kenya Chemical Society (KCS). I am a beneficially of the following awards: three research grants (two as PI and three as co-investigator), Visiting Research Fellowship at Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in Massachusetts USA, Fellowship for the Advanced Training in Research and Development of Medicinal Plants at Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China; Visiting Scientist at ICIPE, Kenya; Postdoctoral Fellowship at ICIPE; ARPPIS PhD Scholarship at ICIPE.
I have published several scientific papers in international and regional journals and written chapters in books in my area of expertise. Together with my research team, we have one PATENT granted by KIPI.
My passion is service to humanity through developing affordable, environment friendly solutions to health problems.
Research & Publications
- • Judith Kanensi Okoth, Sophie Atieno Ochola, Nicholas K. Gikonyo & Anselimo Makokha. (2016). Development of a nutrient-dense complementary food using amaranth-sorghum grains. Food Science & Nutrition. 1-8.
- Justus M. Mbithi, Mohamed M. Awadh, Nicholas K. Gikonyo, Paul K. Tarus and Alex K. Machocho. (2016). Phytochemical and Antibacterial Investigation of the Plant Ochna thomasiana Engl. & Gilg. Journal Kenya Chemical Society, 9(1), 82-90
- Kinuthia G.K., Anjili C.O, Kabiru E.W, Kigondu E.M., Ingonga J.M. and Gikonyo N.K. (2015). Toxicity and efficacy of aqueous crude extracts from Allium sativum, Callistemon citrinus and Moringa stenopetala against L. Major. Kabarak Journal of Res. & Innov. 3(1), 9 – 20.
- Ndungu Z.W., Kuria E., Gikonyo N. and Mbithe D. (2014) Contribution of amaranth grain (A. cruentus) on dietary intake and nutritional status of adults living with HIV in Mweiga, Nyeri, Kenya. J. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res., 4(4) 196-203.
- Tonui M.K., Wanjau R.N., Gikonyo N.K., Murungi J., Cheruiyot K.N. and Ngeno K.S. (2014). Influence of soil and rain on the levels of inorganic anions in amaranth leaves from selected parts of Kenya. Food Sci. and Quality Management. 31:12-20
- Ngari, F. W; Wanjau, R. N; Njagi, E. N, and Gikonyo, N.K. (2014). Antimicrobial and phytochemical investigation of herbal suspensions used in management of oral health in Nairobi County, Kenya. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. 4(14): 17-22.
- Ngari, F. W; Wanjau, R. N; Njagi, E. N, and Gikonyo, N.K. (2014). Herbal materials used in management of oral conditions in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Oral Health and Community Dentistry. 8(1): 30-36.
- Kinuthia, G.K, Kabiru, E.W, Gikonyo, N.K, Ingonga, J.M, Kigondu, E.M, Anjili, C.O. (2014). In vitro activity of aqueous and methanol extracts of Callistemon citrinus (Family Myrtaceae) against Leishmania major. Afr. J. Health Sci. 27(2):118-133
- Rugutt, J.K., Okoth, K.O., Wanjau, R.N., Gikonyo, N.K. Machocho, A., Rugutt, K.J. Rykhlya, K.Y., Harris, K.B., Wilson, K.R. and Koech. J. (2014). US-Africa Collaboration in a Chemical Education Project Involving Analysis of Amaranthus Grain Oil from Selected Agro-Ecological Zones in Kenya. The Chemical Educator. 19, 50-54.
- Rugutt, J.K., Okoth, K.O., Wanjau, R.N., Gikonyo, N.K. Machocho, A., Rugutt, K.J., Obel, M.C. and Mibei, E. (2014). A Quantitative Analytical Chemistry Research-based Experiment Involving Comparative Analysis of Amaranth Grain Oils Extracted from Embu and Meru Districts in Kenya. The Chemical Educator. 19, 91-95.
- Kinuthia G.K., Kabiru E.W, Anjili C.O, Kigondu E.M., Ngure V.N, Ingonga J.M. and Gikonyo N.K. (2014). Efficacy of crude methanolic extracts of Allium sativum L. and Moringa stenopetala (Baker f.) Cufond. against Leishmania major. Int. J. Med. Arom. Plants. 4 (1), 16 - 25
- Nderitu F.W., Gikonyo N.K. and Sinei K.A. (2013) Detection and Management of Adverse Drug Reactions Related to Antiretroviral Drugs among HIV/AIDS Patients in Kiambu Sub-County, Kenya. East and Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 16, 3-12
- Ngari, F. W., Gikonyo, N.K., Wanjau, R. N. and Njagi, E. M. (2013). Investigation of selected pathogenic microorganisms and toxic elements in herbal materials used in management of oral health in Nairobi County, Kenya. J. Appl. Environ. Biol. Sci. 3(12): 1-7.
- Ngari, F. W., Gikonyo, N.K., Wanjau, R. N. and Njagi, E. M. (2013). Safety and Antimicrobial Properties of Euclea divinorum Hiern, Chewing Sticks Used for Management of Oral Health in Nairobi County, Kenya. J. Pharm. Biomed. Sci. 3(3)1-8.
- Kinuthia, G.K., Anjili, C.O., Gikonyo, N.K., Kigondu, E.M., Ingonga, J.M. and Kabiru, E.W. (2013). In vitro and in vivo activities of blends of crude aqueous extracts from Allium sativum L, Callistemon citrinus (Curtis) Skeels and Moringa stenopetala (Baker F) Cufodontis against Leishmania major. Int. J. Med. Arom. Plants. 3(2), 234-246
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2013). Effect of Steeping and Germination on the Diastatic Activity and Sugar Content in Amaranth Grains and Viscosity of Porridge. J. Agric. Food Tech. 3(1): 1-7.
- Mburu M.W., Gikonyo N.K., Kenji G.M. and Mwasaru A.M. (2012). Nutritional and functional properties of a complementary food based on Kenyan amaranth grain (Amaranthus cruentus). Afr. J. Food, Agric., Nutr. and Devel. 12(2), 5959 – 5977.
- Mburu M. W., Gikonyo N.K., Kenji G.M. and Mwasaru A. M. (2011). Properties of a Complementary Food based on Amaranth Grain (Amaranthus cruentus) Grown in Kenya. J. Agric. Food. Tech. 1(9): 153-178.
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2011). Optimization of the Period of Steeping and Germination for Amaranth Grains. J. Agric. Food Tech. 1(6): 101 - 105.
- Kamau, R.T., Mwanzo, I. and Gikonyo, N.K. (2010). The Influence of Gender Related Factors on Access to Antiretroviral Therapy in Nairobi, Kenya. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 13: 35-42.
- Innocent, E., Joseph C. Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali, A. (2010). Constituents of the essential oil of Suregada zanzibariensis leaves are repellent to the mosquito, Anopheles gambiae s.s. J. Insect Sci. 10:57 (online: insectscience.org/10.57)
- Shem, P.M., Shiundu, P.M., Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A. and Saini, R.K. (2009). Release Kinetics of a Synthetic Tsetse Allomone Derived from Waterbuck Odour from a Tygon Silicon Dispenser under Laboratory and Semi Field Conditions. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 6 (6): 625-636.
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2009). Tsetse and wild hosts: Lessons from waterbuck on how to protect cattle from tsetse and sleeping sickness. In, Proceedings of the 7th ASA Scientific Conference. Edited by Kioko, E.N., Okeyo-Owuor, J.B., Kariuki, S. and Osogo, D. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. pp 3–18. ISBN-92-9064-211-4
- Innocent, E., Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali A. (2009). Larvicidal properties of some Tanzanian plant species against Anopheles gambiae s.s. Gile (Diptera:Culicidae) mosquitoes. Int. J. Biol. Chem. Sci. 3(2): 266-270.
- Mbiti, E.N., Gikonyo, N.K., Mbugi, J.P. and Mwanzo, I. (2009). Adherence to Artemether- lumefantrine (AL) in the treatment of malaria in children below five years in Embu district, Kenya. Kenya Nursing Journal. 38 (2): 5 - 12.
- Innocent, E., Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali A. (2008). Growth disruption activity of polar extracts from Kotschya uguenensis (Fabaceae) against Anopheles gambiae s.s. (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. Int. J. Tr. Insect Sci. 28. 220-224.
- Innocent, E., Joseph C. Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Mainen, M.J., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali, A. (2008). Mosquito larvicidal constituents from Lantana viburnoides ssp viburnoides var kisi (A. rich) Verdc (Verbenaceae). J.Vector Borne Dis. 45. 240–244.
- Mwangi, M.T., Gikonyo, N.K. and Ndiege, I.O. (2008). Repellent properties of
- δ-octalactone against the tsetse fly, Glossina morsitans morsitans. J. Insect Sci.8. 43.
- Innocent, E., Gikonyo, N.K.and Nkunya, M.H.H. (2008). Repellency property of long chain aliphatic methyl ketones against Anopheles gambiae s.s. Tanzania Health Research Bulletin. 10: 50 – 54.
- Guchu, S.M. Yenesew, A. Tsanuo, M.K. Gikonyo, N.K. Pickett, J.A. Hooper, A.M. and Hassanali A. (2007). Isoflavonoids from the allelopathic root extracts of Desmodium uncinatum. Phytochemistry. 68(5), 646 - 651.
- Gikonyo, N.K. and Lux, S.A. (2004) Evidence of male attractants for fruit flies in the leaf extract of Schinus molle. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 7, 27 - 33.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Lwande, W. Hassanali, A. and Lux, S.A. (2003) Periodicity in the quantity and ratio of pheromone components in volatile emissions from virgin females of the spotted stalk borer moth Chilo partellus (Swinhoe). East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 6, 36 - 42.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Lux, S.A. and Nemeye, P.S. (2003) Variation in volatiles from fruits of mango and marula attractive to fruit fly, Ceratitis cosyra. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 6, 3 - 8.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P.G.N. and Saini, R.K. (2003) Responses of Glossina morsitans morsitans to blends of electroantennographically active compounds in the odors of its preferred (buffalo and ox) and unpreferred (waterbuck) hosts. J. Chem. Ecol. 29, 2331 - 2345.
- Gikonyo, N. K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P. G. N., Gitu, P. M. and Midiwo, J.O. (2002) Odor composition of preferred (buffalo and ox) and nonpreferred (waterbuck) hosts of some savanna tsetse flies. J. Chem. Ecol. 28:969-981.
- Gikonyo, N. K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P. G. N., and Saini, R. K. (2000) Behaviour of Glossina morsitans morsitans Westwood (Diptera: Glossinidae) on waterbuck Kobus defassa Ruppel and feeding membranes smeared with waterbuck sebum indicates the presence of allomones. Acta Tropica. 77:295-303.
- Gikonyo, N.K; Mwangi, R.W. and Midiwo, J.O. (1998). Toxic and growth-inhibitory activity of Polygonum senegalense (Mesin) surface exudate against Aedes aegypti larvae. Insect Sci. Applic. 18:229 - 234.
- Midiwo, J.O; Gikonyo, N.K; Wanjau, D.O; Matasi, J.J. and Waterman, P.G. (1992). Flavonoids of Polygonum senegalense (Meisn) Part II. More surface and internal tissue flavonoid aglycones. Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethiop. 6:119 - 122.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Innocent, E., Gikonyo, N.K., Moshi, M.J., Nkunya, M. H.H., Cosam, C.J. and Hassanali, A. (2009). Identification of Interaction of Mosquito Larvicidal Compounds from Lantana viburnoides ssp.viburnoides var. kisi by Using Subtraction Bioassay. In, Traditional and Alternative Medicine: Research and Policy Perspectives. Edited by De Silva, T., Bahorun, T.,Sahu, M. and Huong, L. M. Publisher, Daya House, New Delhi. Part II. Phytochemistry. Chapter 38. pp 594. ISBN-81-7035-614-8.
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2009). Dr. Nicholas Kamindu Gikonyo: ARPPIS Alumni – Showing Science Leadership in Africa and Beyond. In, Building capacity for science-led development in Africa. Edited by Musewe, V.O. and Odindo, M. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. Chapter 6. pp 72. ISBN-92-9064-210-6
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2008). Biography. In Nurturing African Talent for Leadership in Insect Science: 25 Years of the ARPPIS Experience. Edited by Ochieng’-Odero, J.P.R., Ng’ang’a, L., Osogo, D., Mating’i, D.T.P and Ogendo, I. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. Chapter I. pp 55-58. ISBN-92-9064-204-1.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P.G.N. and Saini, R.K. (2000). Investigations on tsetse repellents from the body surface of waterbuck, Kobus defassa Ruppel. Animal Health Management. In 1998/1999 ICIPE Annual Scientific Report. Edited by Ngeny-Mengech A., Osogo, D., Mwanycky, S. And Ndungu, A.C. Publisher. ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. pp. 27-29. ISBN-92-9064-134-7.
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2014) Complementary food for moderately malnourished children. Kenya Industrial Property Institute. Applic. No. KE/U/2013/000334. Date of grant: 2/7/2014.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY/WORK EXPERIENCE
- Sept. 2011 ----- Associate Professor: Department of Pharmacy and Complementary /Alternative Medicine, Kenyatta University
- Feb. 2006 –Sept. 2011 Snr Lecturer: Department of Pharmacy and Complementary/Alternative Medicine, Kenyatta University.
- June 2000 - Feb 2006 Lecturer: Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, UON.
- Feb. 2000 - Oct. 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow: BCED, ICIPE.
- July 1997 – June 2000. Tutorial Fellow: Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, UON.
- July 1991- Aug.1996 Associate Scientific Officer: BCED, ICIPE.
- Jan – June 1991 Graduate Assistant: Department of Chemistry, UON.
- Jan. 1984 - May 1985 Teacher: St Mary's Secondary School - Nyeri
Last Updated on Thursday, 14 January 2016 12:00