Prof Nicholas Kamindu Gikonyo
Position: Associate Professor
As an Associate Professor in the School of Pharmacy at Kenyatta University (KU), my expertise is in teaching, research and innovation in the areas of Pharmacognosy, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Nutrition in therapy and Chemical Ecology.
I am the founding Director of the “National Phytotherapeutics Research Centre” based at Kenyatta University. Previously, I was Director of KU Funeral Home, the founding Chairman of the department of Pharmacy, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (PCAM) at KU (currently the School of Pharmacy), the founding chairman of the KU Ethics Review Committee. I am the Board Chairman of the Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre (CBIIC) at KU, and previously board member of the KU Research Review and Advisory Board (URRAB), Confucius Institute, KU Funeral Home. I am the Deputy Editor of the Kenya National R&D Journal and an Editor of the East and Central Africa Medical Journal. I am a member of the Traditional and Alternative Medicine Technical Working Group – on the Kenya Health Act no 21 of 2017. In addition to publishing several scientific papers in peer reviewed journals, I have one Patent granted by KIPI.
My passion is use and promotion of natural solutions to health problems.
Research & Publications
- Mbulo, T.M., Gikonyo, N.K. and Kabiru, E.M. (2021). Ecologically sustainable mosquito repellence using live Artemisia annua Linnaeus plants in boarding schools of Mwea rice irrigation scheme, Kenya. International Journal of Mosquito Research 8(2): 48-53. DOI:https://doi.org/10.22271/23487941.2021.v8.i2a.51
- Njoroge, G.K., Njagi, E.N.M., Gikonyo, N.K. and Piero, M.N. (2020). Invivo Glycemic and Toxicity Effects of Aqueous Extracts of Urtica massaica. International Journal of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 10(3): 35-44.
- Onyambu MO, Gikonyo NK, Nyambaka HN and Thoithi GN. (2020). Macroscopic and microscopic features of diagnostic value for Warburgia ugandensis Sparague leaf and stem-bark herbal materials. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy. 12(2): 19-27.
- Onyancha JM., Gikonyo NK., Wachira SW., and Gicheru MM. (2019). An ethnobotanical survey of plants used for the treatment and management of cancer in Embu County, Kenya. Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies. 7(4): 39-46.
- Onyambu MO, Gikonyo NK, Nyambaka HN and Thoithi GN. (2019). A Review of Trends in Herbal Drugs Standardization, Regulation and Integration to the National Healthcare Systems in Kenya and the Globe. Int. J. Pharmacogn. Chinese Med. 3(3): 000168.
- Onyancha JM, Gikonyo NK, Wachira SW, Gicheru MM. (2019). Isolation and antiproliferative characterisation of bergenin from root extract of Uvariodendron anisatum Verdec (Annonaceae). Drug Discovery. 13, 55-78.
- Florence W Ngari, Nicholas K Gikonyo, Eliud NM Njagi and Ruth N Wanjau. (2018). The practice of herbal medicine in management of oral health in Nairobi County, Kenya. International Journal of Herbal Medicine. 6(5), 05-09
- Onyancha, J.M., Gikonyo, N.K., Wachira, S.W., Mwitari, P.G. and Gicheru, M.M. (2018). Anticancer activities and safety evaluation of selected Kenyan plant extracts against breast cancer cell lines. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy. 10(2), 21-26.
- Everlyne N. Wanzala, Nicholas K. Gikonyo, Grace Murilla, Mercy Githua, Ahmed Hassanali. (2017). In vitro and in vivo anti-trypanosomal activities of methanol extract of Azadirachta indica stem-bark. Afr. J. Tradit. Complement. Altern. Med. 14 (6): 72-77
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A (2017). Efficacy of amaranth sorghum grains porridge in rehabilitating moderately acute malnourished children in a low-resource setting in Kenya: A randomized controlled trial. Integr Food Nutr. Metab. 4(4), 1-7.
- Ndungu, Z. W., Kuria, E. N., Gikonyo, N. K. and Mbithe, D. K. (2017). Efficacy of amaranth grain consumption on CD4 count and morbidity patterns among adults living with HIV in Nyeri, Kenya. J. AIDS HIV Res. 9(4), 81-88.
- Njoroge, G.K., Njagi, E.N.M., Gikonyo, N.K. and Piero, M.N. (2017). In vivo antidiabetic potential and safety of aqueous extract of Triticum aestivum (wheatgrass). Int. J. of Med. and Pharm. Sci. 7(1), 77-84.
- Murigi, E.E., Muathe, S.M.A., Kuria, T.J. and Gikonyo, N.K. 2017. Social Marketing Price and Behavioural Change on Substance Users among Youth in the Slums of Nairobi County, Kenya: 12th SIMSR Global Marketing Conference. Compendium of conference proceedings – ISBN: 9789385537042. 9th-10th February, 2017. ELK Asia Pacific Journals publishers. pp 119-124.
- Judith Kanensi Okoth, Sophie Atieno Ochola, Nicholas K. Gikonyo & Anselimo Makokha. (2016). Development of a nutrient-dense complementary food using amaranth-sorghum grains. Food Science & Nutrition. 1-8.
- Justus M. Mbithi, Mohamed M. Awadh, Nicholas K. Gikonyo, Paul K. Tarus and Alex K. Machocho. (2016). Phytochemical and Antibacterial Investigation of the Plant Ochna thomasiana Engl. & Gilg. Journal Kenya Chemical Society, 9(1), 82-90
- Kinuthia G.K., Anjili C.O, Kabiru E.W, Kigondu E.M., Ingonga J.M. and Gikonyo N.K. (2015). Toxicity and efficacy of aqueous crude extracts from Allium sativum, Callistemon citrinus and Moringa stenopetala against L. Major. Kabarak Journal of Res. & Innov. 3(1), 9 – 20.
- Ndungu Z.W., Kuria E., Gikonyo N. and Mbithe D. (2014) Contribution of amaranth grain (A. cruentus) on dietary intake and nutritional status of adults living with HIV in Mweiga, Nyeri, Kenya. J. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res., 4(4) 196-203.
- Tonui M.K., Wanjau R.N., Gikonyo N.K., Murungi J., Cheruiyot K.N. and Ngeno K.S. (2014). Influence of soil and rain on the levels of inorganic anions in amaranth leaves from selected parts of Kenya. Food Sci. and Quality Management. 31:12-20
- Ngari, F. W; Wanjau, R. N; Njagi, E. N, and Gikonyo, N.K. (2014). Antimicrobial and phytochemical investigation of herbal suspensions used in management of oral health in Nairobi County, Kenya. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. 4(14): 17-22.
- Ngari, F. W; Wanjau, R. N; Njagi, E. N, and Gikonyo, N.K. (2014). Herbal materials used in management of oral conditions in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Oral Health and Community Dentistry. 8(1): 30-36.
- Kinuthia, G.K, Kabiru, E.W, Gikonyo, N.K, Ingonga, J.M, Kigondu, E.M, Anjili, C.O. (2014). In vitro activity of aqueous and methanol extracts of Callistemon citrinus (Family Myrtaceae) against Leishmania major. Afr. J. Health Sci. 27(2):118-133
- Rugutt, J.K., Okoth, K.O., Wanjau, R.N., Gikonyo, N.K. Machocho, A., Rugutt, K.J. Rykhlya, K.Y., Harris, K.B., Wilson, K.R. and Koech. J. (2014). US-Africa Collaboration in a Chemical Education Project Involving Analysis of Amaranthus Grain Oil from Selected Agro-Ecological Zones in Kenya. The Chemical Educator. 19, 50-54.
- Rugutt, J.K., Okoth, K.O., Wanjau, R.N., Gikonyo, N.K. Machocho, A., Rugutt, K.J., Obel, M.C. and Mibei, E. (2014). A Quantitative Analytical Chemistry Research-based Experiment Involving Comparative Analysis of Amaranth Grain Oils Extracted from Embu and Meru Districts in Kenya. The Chemical Educator. 19, 91-95.
- Kinuthia G.K., Kabiru E.W, Anjili C.O, Kigondu E.M., Ngure V.N, Ingonga J.M. and Gikonyo N.K. (2014). Efficacy of crude methanolic extracts of Allium sativum L. and Moringa stenopetala (Baker f.) Cufond. against Leishmania major. Int. J. Med. Arom. Plants. 4 (1), 16 - 25
- Nderitu F.W., Gikonyo N.K. and Sinei K.A. (2013) Detection and Management of Adverse Drug Reactions Related to Antiretroviral Drugs among HIV/AIDS Patients in Kiambu Sub-County, Kenya. East and Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 16, 3-12
- Ngari, F. W., Gikonyo, N.K., Wanjau, R. N. and Njagi, E. M. (2013). Investigation of selected pathogenic microorganisms and toxic elements in herbal materials used in management of oral health in Nairobi County, Kenya. J. Appl. Environ. Biol. Sci. 3(12): 1-7.
- Ngari, F. W., Gikonyo, N.K., Wanjau, R. N. and Njagi, E. M. (2013). Safety and Antimicrobial Properties of Euclea divinorum Hiern, Chewing Sticks Used for Management of Oral Health in Nairobi County, Kenya. J. Pharm. Biomed. Sci. 3(3)1-8.
- Kinuthia, G.K., Anjili, C.O., Gikonyo, N.K., Kigondu, E.M., Ingonga, J.M. and Kabiru, E.W. (2013). In vitro and in vivo activities of blends of crude aqueous extracts from Allium sativum L, Callistemon citrinus (Curtis) Skeels and Moringa stenopetala (Baker F) Cufodontis against Leishmania major. Int. J. Med. Arom. Plants. 3(2), 234-246
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2013). Effect of Steeping and Germination on the Diastatic Activity and Sugar Content in Amaranth Grains and Viscosity of Porridge. J. Agric. Food Tech. 3(1): 1-7.
- Mburu M.W., Gikonyo N.K., Kenji G.M. and Mwasaru A.M. (2012). Nutritional and functional properties of a complementary food based on Kenyan amaranth grain (Amaranthus cruentus). Afr. J. Food, Agric., Nutr. and Devel. 12(2), 5959 – 5977.
- Mburu M. W., Gikonyo N.K., Kenji G.M. and Mwasaru A. M. (2011). Properties of a Complementary Food based on Amaranth Grain (Amaranthus cruentus) Grown in Kenya. J. Agric. Food. Tech. 1(9): 153-178.
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2011). Optimization of the Period of Steeping and Germination for Amaranth Grains. J. Agric. Food Tech. 1(6): 101 - 105.
- Kamau, R.T., Mwanzo, I. and Gikonyo, N.K. (2010). The Influence of Gender Related Factors on Access to Antiretroviral Therapy in Nairobi, Kenya. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 13: 35-42.
- Innocent, E., Joseph C. Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali, A. (2010). Constituents of the essential oil of Suregada zanzibariensis leaves are repellent to the mosquito, Anopheles gambiae s.s. J. Insect Sci. 10:57 (online: insectscience.org/10.57)
- Shem, P.M., Shiundu, P.M., Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A. and Saini, R.K. (2009). Release Kinetics of a Synthetic Tsetse Allomone Derived from Waterbuck Odour from a Tygon Silicon Dispenser under Laboratory and Semi Field Conditions. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 6 (6): 625-636.
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2009). Tsetse and wild hosts: Lessons from waterbuck on how to protect cattle from tsetse and sleeping sickness. In, Proceedings of the 7th ASA Scientific Conference. Edited by Kioko, E.N., Okeyo-Owuor, J.B., Kariuki, S. and Osogo, D. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. pp 3–18. ISBN-92-9064-211-4
- Innocent, E., Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali A. (2009). Larvicidal properties of some Tanzanian plant species against Anopheles gambiae s.s. Gile (Diptera:Culicidae) mosquitoes. Int. J. Biol. Chem. Sci. 3(2): 266-270.
- Mbiti, E.N., Gikonyo, N.K., Mbugi, J.P. and Mwanzo, I. (2009). Adherence to Artemether- lumefantrine (AL) in the treatment of malaria in children below five years in Embu district, Kenya. Kenya Nursing Journal. 38 (2): 5 - 12.
- Innocent, E., Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali A. (2008). Growth disruption activity of polar extracts from Kotschya uguenensis (Fabaceae) against Anopheles gambiae s.s. (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. Int. J. Tr. Insect Sci. 28. 220-224.
- Innocent, E., Joseph C. Cosam, C.J., Gikonyo, N.K., Mainen, M.J., Nkunya, M.H.H. and Hassanali, A. (2008). Mosquito larvicidal constituents from Lantana viburnoides ssp viburnoides var kisi (A. rich) Verdc (Verbenaceae). J.Vector Borne Dis. 45. 240–244.
- Mwangi, M.T., Gikonyo, N.K. and Ndiege, I.O. (2008). Repellent properties of
- δ-octalactone against the tsetse fly, Glossina morsitans morsitans. J. Insect Sci.8. 43.
- Innocent, E., Gikonyo, N.K.and Nkunya, M.H.H. (2008). Repellency property of long chain aliphatic methyl ketones against Anopheles gambiae s.s. Tanzania Health Research Bulletin. 10: 50 – 54.
- Guchu, S.M. Yenesew, A. Tsanuo, M.K. Gikonyo, N.K. Pickett, J.A. Hooper, A.M. and Hassanali A. (2007). Isoflavonoids from the allelopathic root extracts of Desmodium uncinatum. Phytochemistry. 68(5), 646 - 651.
- Gikonyo, N.K. and Lux, S.A. (2004) Evidence of male attractants for fruit flies in the leaf extract of Schinus molle. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 7, 27 - 33.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Lwande, W. Hassanali, A. and Lux, S.A. (2003) Periodicity in the quantity and ratio of pheromone components in volatile emissions from virgin females of the spotted stalk borer moth Chilo partellus (Swinhoe). East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 6, 36 - 42.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Lux, S.A. and Nemeye, P.S. (2003) Variation in volatiles from fruits of mango and marula attractive to fruit fly, Ceratitis cosyra. East Centr. Afr. J. Pharm. Sci. 6, 3 - 8.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P.G.N. and Saini, R.K. (2003) Responses of Glossina morsitans morsitans to blends of electroantennographically active compounds in the odors of its preferred (buffalo and ox) and unpreferred (waterbuck) hosts. J. Chem. Ecol. 29, 2331 - 2345.
- Gikonyo, N. K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P. G. N., Gitu, P. M. and Midiwo, J.O. (2002) Odor composition of preferred (buffalo and ox) and nonpreferred (waterbuck) hosts of some savanna tsetse flies. J. Chem. Ecol. 28:969-981.
- Gikonyo, N. K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P. G. N., and Saini, R. K. (2000) Behaviour of Glossina morsitans morsitans Westwood (Diptera: Glossinidae) on waterbuck Kobus defassa Ruppel and feeding membranes smeared with waterbuck sebum indicates the presence of allomones. Acta Tropica. 77:295-303.
- Gikonyo, N.K; Mwangi, R.W. and Midiwo, J.O. (1998). Toxic and growth-inhibitory activity of Polygonum senegalense (Mesin) surface exudate against Aedes aegypti larvae. Insect Sci. Applic. 18:229 - 234.
- Midiwo, J.O; Gikonyo, N.K; Wanjau, D.O; Matasi, J.J. and Waterman, P.G. (1992). Flavonoids of Polygonum senegalense (Meisn) Part II. More surface and internal tissue flavonoid aglycones. Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethiop. 6:119 - 122.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
- Innocent, E., Gikonyo, N.K., Moshi, M.J., Nkunya, M. H.H., Cosam, C.J. and Hassanali, A. (2009). Identification of Interaction of Mosquito Larvicidal Compounds from Lantana viburnoides ssp.viburnoides var. kisi by Using Subtraction Bioassay. In, Traditional and Alternative Medicine: Research and Policy Perspectives. Edited by De Silva, T., Bahorun, T.,Sahu, M. and Huong, L. M. Publisher, Daya House, New Delhi. Part II. Phytochemistry. Chapter 38. pp 594. ISBN-81-7035-614-8.
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2009). Dr. Nicholas Kamindu Gikonyo: ARPPIS Alumni – Showing Science Leadership in Africa and Beyond. In, Building capacity for science-led development in Africa. Edited by Musewe, V.O. and Odindo, M. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. Chapter 6. pp 72. ISBN-92-9064-210-6
- Gikonyo, N.K. (2008). Biography. In Nurturing African Talent for Leadership in Insect Science: 25 Years of the ARPPIS Experience. Edited by Ochieng’-Odero, J.P.R., Ng’ang’a, L., Osogo, D., Mating’i, D.T.P and Ogendo, I. Publisher, ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. Chapter I. pp 55-58. ISBN-92-9064-204-1.
- Gikonyo, N.K., Hassanali, A., Njagi, P.G.N. and Saini, R.K. (2000). Investigations on tsetse repellents from the body surface of waterbuck, Kobus defassa Ruppel. Animal Health Management. In 1998/1999 ICIPE Annual Scientific Report. Edited by Ngeny-Mengech A., Osogo, D., Mwanycky, S. And Ndungu, A.C. Publisher. ICIPE Science Press, Nairobi. pp. 27-29. ISBN-92-9064-134-7.
- Kanensi, J. O., Ochola, S., Gikonyo, N.K. and Makokha, A. (2014) Complementary food for moderately malnourished children. Kenya Industrial Property Institute. Applic. No. KE/U/2013/000334. Date of grant: 2/7/2014.