Dr. Charles O Onindo
Department of Chemistry
- The search for cheap, economically and environmentally friendly water filters (biosorbents) for metal ions removal in aqueous systems.
- The study of complexes formed by metal ions in dilute aqueous solutions containing biologically or environmentally important ligands. In biological and natural water systems which contain both biomolecules and metal ions a study of the thermodynamics of their interactions is clearly an essential step in understanding their role, made complicated by the complexity of the system.
- Biomass as a source of renewable energy.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Authored with students/Kenyan
- W. Mwangi, G. K. Muthakia, C. O. Onindo, H. Nyambaka and J. C. Ngila (2014). Determination of levels of copper in kamiti river along coffee farms In Kiambu, Kenya.Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology, 16(2), 95-108. ISSN: 2249-5894
- O.Onindo and I.W.Mwangi (2012). Thermodynamic modelling of the equilibria in Lake Baringo, Kenya. Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology, 14(2), 104-113.
Authored with students/International
- Bonface Juma Wafula, Eric Masika and Charles Onindo (2020. ZnO Nanoparticles (ZnO-NPs): Synthesis Using Tithonia diversifolia, Characterization and in-vitroAntimicrobial Bioassays, IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR-JAC) e-ISSN: 2278-5736.Volume 13, Issue 8 Ser. I (August. 2020), PP 14-21
- Abunah D, Onindo C, Andala D, Ochoti E (2019). Physico-chemical removal of heavy metals from contaminated water using recyclable montmorillonite cellulose nanocomposite, Mater. Environ. Sci., 10(12), pp. 1349-1361(ISSN : 2028-2508 CODEN : JMESCN)
- Amayi James, Kituyi Lusweti, Onindo Charles and Oluchina Sherry (2018), Chemical Speciation, Stability and Toxicity of Sulphate and Phosphate Salts of Copper, African Journal of Education, Science and Technology, Vol 4, No. 3
- Nyangasi L, Andala D, Onindo C et al. Processing parameters for electrospinning poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA)/titanium isopropoxide composite in a pump-free setup [version 1; referees: awaiting peer review]. AAS Open Res 2018, 1:27
- Leah O. Nyangasi, Dickson M. Andala, Charles O. Onindo, Jane C. Ngila, Banothile C. E. Makhubela and Eric M. Ngigi (2017) Preparation and Characterization of Pd Modified TiO2 Nanofiber Catalyst for Carbon–Carbon Coupling Heck Reaction. Journal of Nanomaterials, Article ID 8290892, 13 pages https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8290892
- Enos W.Wambu, Willis O.Ambusso, CharlesOnindo, Gerald K.Muthakia
(2016), Review of fluoride removal from water by adsorption using soil adsorbents – an evaluation of the status, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination, 6 (1) 1-29; DOI: 10.2166/wrd.2015.073
- Mosiori GO, Onindo CO, Mugabi P, Tumwebaze SB, Bagabo S, Johnson RB. (2015). Characteristics of potential gasifier fuels in selected regions of the Lake Victoria Basin. S Afr J Sci.;111(5/6), Art. #2014-0151, 6 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/ sajs.2015/20140151
- Nasiebanda Roselyne, Charles O. Onindo, Harun M. Mbuvi (2014). Speciation of cadmium and lead in garage soils from Ngara- Nairobi and their Levels in nearby vegetables and water. International Journal of Physical and Social Sciences 4(3), 89-100, Online ISSN : 2249-5894.
- Genson Murithi, Charles O. Onindo, EnosWamalwaWambu, Gerald K. Muthakia(2014). Removal of Cadmium(II) Ions from Water by Adsorption using Water Hyacinth (Eichhorniacrassipes)BiomassBioResources 9(2), 3613-3631.
- E W Wambu, C.O.Onindo, W Ambusso, GK Muthakia (2013). Removal of fluoride from aqueous solutions by adsorption using a siliceous minerals of a Kenyan origin, CLEAN-Soil, Air, Water 41(4), 340-348.
- Naftali T. Muriithi, Charles O Onindo, Harun M Mbuvi and Dickson M Andala (2013).Oxidation of cyclic amines by molybdenum(II) and tungsten(II)Halocarbonyls, [M(CO)4X2]2 (M = Mo, W; X = Cl, Br),. Chem. Soc. Ethiop. 2013, 27(2), 233-239, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/bcse.v27i2.8
- Jeremiah O. Masime, Ruth Wanjau, Charles Onindo (2013). Determination of the levels of nitrite in homemade brews, spirits and raw materils used using uv – visible spectroscopy in Nairobi County. International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology, 2(7),461. ISSN 2278-7763 Copyright © 2013 SciResPub. IJOART
- Masime Jeremiah, Wanjau Ruth, Murungi Jane, Onindo Charles (2013). A Comparison of the Levels of Nitrate, Nitrite and Phosphate in Homemade brews, Spirits, in Water and Raw Materials in Nairobi County Using UV-Visible spectroscopy . International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research 12 (4) :329 - 344.
- Masime Jeremiah, Wanjau Ruth, Murungi Jane, Onindo Charles (2013). Analysis of the levels of arsenic in home-made brews, spirits, in water and raw materials using Hgaas in Nairobi county. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry. ; 7:291-301
- Masime Jeremiah, Wanjau Ruth, Murungi Jane, Onindo Charles (2013). A Research Paper On The Analysis Of The Levels Of Nitrate In Homemade Brews, Spirits, In Water And Raw Materials In Nairobi County.International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research ; 2(6):14 - 19
- Masime Jeremiah O, Wanjau Ruth, Murungi Jane, Onindo Charles (2013). Determination of the levels of nitrate in homemade brews, spirits, in water and raw materials in Nairobi County using UV-visible spectroscopy. International Journal of Scintific& Engineering Research; 4(8): 1863-1872.
- EW Wambu, CO Onindo, W Ambusso, GK Muthakia (2013). Equilibrium Studies of Fluoride Adsorption onto a Ferric Poly−mineral from Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management 16(1),69-74. ISSN 1119-8362
- GensonMurithi, Charles. O. Onindo and Gerald. K. Muthakia (2012).Kinetic and equilibrium study for the sorption of Pb(II) ions from aqueous phase by water hyacinth (Eichhorniacrassipes), Chem. Soc. Ethiop., 26(2), 181-193. ISSN 1011-3924 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/bcse.v26i2.3
- W. Wambu, C.O. Onindo, W.J. Ambusso, G.K. Muthakia (2012) Fluoride Adsorption onto an Acid TreatedLateriticMineral from Kenya: Equilibrium Studies, African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 6(3), 160-169,(http://www.academicjournals.org/AJESTDOI: 10.5897/AJEST11.259 ISSN 1996-0786)
- SKUDI, J.B., WANJAU, R., MURUNGI, J., ONINDO, C.O., (2011). Alum treated grey water for toilet flushing, mopping and laundry work. Hydrol Current Res 2:114. Doi:10.4172/2157-7587.1000114.
- WAMBU,ENOS W.,ONINDO,CHARLES O.,AMBUSSO, ., WILLIS J., MUTHAKIA, GERALD K.(2011) Fluoride Adsorption onto Acid-Treated Diatomaceous Mineral from Kenya, Materials Sciences and Applications,2, 1654-1660 doi:10.4236/msa.2011.211220 Published Online November 2011 (http://www.SciRP.org/journal/msa) Copyright © 2011 SciRes. MSA
- ONINDO CHARLES OTIENO (2003). Potentiometric study of complexes formed between (s)--amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropanoic acid and some transition metal ions, Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, 17(1), 45-51.ISBN/ISSN1011-3924
- ONINDO AND L. D. PETTIT (1999). Equilibrium Studies of Solutions Containing Cu(II), Cd(II), or Pb(II) and Phosphate, Tricarballylic acid , Catechol and Glycine. The Journal of Kenya Chemical Society(1999).ISBN/ISSN1811-5934
- TATIAN YU SLIVA, TERESA KOWALIK-JANKOWSKA, VLADIMIR M. AMIRKHANOV, TADEUSZ GLOWIAK, CHARLES O. ONINDO, IGOR O. FRITSKY AND HENRYK KOZLOWSKI (1977). Oxime Analogs of Amino Acids and Peptides Are Efficient Ligands for Ni(II) Ions, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 65, 287 – 294
- CHARLES O. ONINDO, TATIAN YU SLIVA, TERESA KOWALIK-JANKOWSKA, IGOR O. FRITSKY, PETER BUGLYO, LESLIE D.PETTIT, HENRYK KOZLOWSKI AND TAMAS KISS (1995). Copper (II) co-ordination by Oxime Analogues of Amino Acids and Peptides, Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans , 3911
- KOZLOWSKI, A. LEBKIRI. C. O. ONINDO, L. D. PETTIT AND J-F GALEY (1995).The Influence of Aspartic or Glutamic acid Residues in Tetrapeptides on the Formation of Complexes with Nickel (II) and Zinc (II), Polyhedron, 14(2) 211 –218.
- TERESA KOWALIK-JANKOWSKA, C. O. ONINDO, H. KOZLOWSKI, L. D. PETTIT, L. LANKIEWICZ, M. JASIONOWSKI (1995). Specific Binding of Cu(II) Ions by Leucine Enkephalin Analogues, Inorg. Biochem., 60, 21– 29.
- ONINDO AND H. M. THAIRU (1993). Determination of Water Transport Numbers in Cation Exchange Membranes Using Streaming Potential Measurements,International Journal of BioChemPhysics, 2(1and 2) 125.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS and Related
Contributing author: SolEq: CD-ROM based tutorials for equilibria in solutions available from: http://www.acadsoft.co.uk
7.2 Articles in Conference Proceedings
- 2009: Onindo C.O. The water hyacinth Eichhorniacrassipies as a biosorbent for lead (II) removal: Kinetic and equilibrium studies. Pan Africa Chemistry Network, Sustainable water conference, Nairobi.
- 2006: Andala M.D, Muriithi N and Onindo C.O. The reaction of molybdenum halocarbonyl complexes [Mo(CO)4X2]2 , with selected tertiary alkylamines. The 5thKenya Chemical Society International Conference, Nairobi, Kenya.
• 2019: Collaboration for Entrepreneurial Universities (CEPU) “The study tour on start-up development” 23 - 29 June 2019, Leipzig, Germany.
• 2019: Collaboration for Entrepreneurial Universities (CEPU) Workshop “Leadership and Strategy Development” 1 October 2019, Kenyatta University, Kenya.
• 2019: Collaboration for Entrepreneurial Universities (CEPU) Workshop “Leadership and Strategy Development” 12-14 February 2019, Kenyatta University, Kenya.
• 2018: Pan Africa Chemistry Network Congress “Managing resources through chemistry: Wealth not waste” 6-8 November 2018, University of Nairobi, Kenya
• 2016: The Kenya Chemical Society, Nairobi Chapter Symposium “Chemistry for Sustainable Development” 23rd April, USIU-A, LT4-Science Centre.
• 2015: The Kenya Chemical Society, 8th International Conference, 5th -8th May, 2015, University of Nairobi, College of Biological and Physical Science,
• 2014: The Kenya Chemical Society, Nairobi Chapter, Kenyatta University
• 2013: IUCEA (VicRes) Natural resource management and ethnobotany and health cluster workshop 7th – 12th April 2013, Mukono, Uganda
• 2013: The Kenya Chemical Society Workshop, TUK, Nairobi, Kenya.
• 2012: Adaptation of gasification technology for modern energy production in the Lake Victoria basin Stakeholder’s workshop, Utalii Hotel, Nairobi, 15th - 17th March, 2012
• 2012: A one day Workshop organized by the Office of the Dean of
Students held at KUCC on 22nd August, 2012.
• 2012: The Inaugural Conference on Nanotechnology and Material Science in Kenya, Kenyatta University Conference Centre, 18th -20th July 2012
• 2012: Kenya Chemical Society – Nairobi Chapter Workshop held at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology held on 25th August, 2012
• 2012: The Scientific Novartis Seedings Labs Seminar by Dr. Heather
Burks and Dr. Lewis Whitehead held at the BSSc, Kenyatta University on 7th February,2012.
• 2011: The Kenya Chemical Society Workshop to be held on 27th August at Chiromo Campus, University of Nairobi.
• 2011: Training workshop-PHEA-ETI Project 4, Digitization, animation and Simulation of Chemistry and Communication Skill modules, BSSC, 9th – 13th May 2011
• 2011 IUCEA, 1stVicRes Biennial Forum, Kampala, Uganda, 9th to 12th October, 2011April
• 2010: Kenya Chemical Society Conference held at Kenyatta University on 24thApril 2010.
• 2010: Scientific Workshop on Africa’s Water Quality: A ChemicalPerspective organized by the Pan Africa Chemistry Network at ChiromoCampus,University of Nairobi, on 26th March, 2010
• 2009 Pan Africa Chemistry Network, Sustainable Water Conference, Nairobi 25th – 28th August
• 2009 Pan Africa Chemistry Network workshop. Green chemistry and sustainability.
• 2008 The Kenya Chemical Society Workshop, 30 August. Kenyatta University.
• 2008 20th ICCE Satellite Workshop ‘The Relevance of Chemistry in a Global Society’ 11-12 August. University of Nairobi
• 2008 Vicres proposal writing workshop, Jinja, Uganda 16 – 22nd March 2008.
• 2006 The Kenya Chemical Society, 5th International Conference ,Kenyatta University, 22th – 26th August
• 2005 UN Convention on Persons with Disabilities – 24th January to 4th February 2005, United Nations Plaza, New York
• 2005 Logical Framework Analysis (LFA), Cape Town, South Africa, 4th to 8th April 2005.
• 1992 ‘Data Analysis in Electroanalytical Chemistry” 24 – 25 March The Royal Society of Chemistry The University of Newcastle, United Kingdom.