Dr. Leah Nasimiyu Barasa
Name: Dr. Leah Nasimiyu Barasa
Papers and other Publications
In Refereed Journals - Selected
- Book chapter (2022) under development for KU-Uppsala University cooperation: Theme: Community-based Conflict Management in Urban and Rural areas of East Africa Title: Women’s Resilience and Fragility to the effects of Banditry in West Pokot County, Kenya by Leah Barasa. (to be presented on 29-30 June 2022 in the Department of Peace and Conflict Resolution, Uppsala University, Sweden).
- Barasa, L. Iteyo, C. (2018). International Refugee Protection Framework’s Influence on Human Security in Kenya: Focus on Nairobi County, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), Volume 23, Issue 3, Ver. 4 March 2018. PP 80-86 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. iosrjournals.org
- Barasa, L. Matanga, F. (2018). Nature of Human Security in Nairobi, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), Volume 23, Issue 3, Ver. 4 March. 2018. PP 87-95 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. iosrjournals.org
- 2018:https://theconversation.com/brexit-trade-and-security-are-all-on-the-agenda-during-mays-kenya-visit-102348 Brexit, trade and security are all on the agenda during May’s Kenya visit. Barasa, L.
- 2015: https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/rosedemendonca/2015/01/08/visit-to-british-peace-support-team/ Contributions as a Sexual and Gender Based Violence Lead Trainer at IPSTC.
- 2014: “Addressing Sexual Gender Based Violence in Conflict Situations.” A Quarterly –Newsletter of the International Peace Support Training Centre, Volume 7-01 October-31 December, 2014.
- 2013: “African Defense Safety and Security Experts Report on the “Operational Readiness of the African Standby Force.” peaceau.org/.../african-defense-safety-and-security-experts begin meeting in Addis Ababa-The Ibrahim Gambari Report, 2014.
- 2013: Report of Women Political Parties Leaders’ Training on Conflict Mediation and Peace Building: UNDP/ACORD, Maanzoni, Kenya August 27-29 2012
- 2010: “Study Tour to on-going missions in Eastern Region, the case of the Sudan: UNMIS and UNAMID”, June 30th 2010 (Unpublished).
- 2008: Participated in writing a Handbook in collaboration with UNHCR to Geneva on “BEST PRACTICES” in Humanitarian intervention during Post Election Violence (PEV) in Kenya.” (Unpublished).
- 2004: Challenges facing girl child secondary education: A case study of Kinango division of Kwale District, Kenya: Barasa, Leah N (University of Nairobi Department of Anthropology & Gender Studies,2004). This study set out to document and discuss the challenges facing girl child secondary education in Kinango division, Kwale district, Kenya. The unit of analysis was the secondary school girl child. The underlying social and economic ...www.erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/handle/11295/2/browse?value=Barasa%2c+Leah+N&type=author.
- (2007) Research Assistant in a project on Orphaned and Vulnerable Children Evaluation Measure of Kilifi District, Kenya. A project commissioned by the University of Nairobi in collaboration with the Catholic Relief Services.
- (2008) Final assessment on Post-Election Violence in North Rift Valley Province before ‘Operation Rudi Nyumbani’ IDPs return. A project commissioned by the Government of Kenya, Kenya Red cross and the United Nations High Commission on Refugees.
Policy Writing and Evaluation Research
- (2012) Contracted by the Eastern Africa Standby Force Secretariat along with Experts Working Group (EWG) of the Eastern Africa Standby Force Member States to write a policy paper on EASF Training Strategy on the Establishment of Centers of Excellence
- (2013-2014) Contracted by the European Union Headquarters in Brussels as Lead Consultant/Project Coordinator to execute a Heads of State Directive of African Union Peace and Security Department, to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the African Standby Force (ASF) in 2013 on the Operational Readiness of the African Standby Force (ASF), including its Rapid Deployment Capability (RDC) based on recommendations contained in the ASF Roadmap III (including the Action Plan) which focused on outstanding issues for increased utility of the ASF as a tool for the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA). This was based on the communiqué of the Peace and Security Council’s (PSC) 353rd Meeting at the level of Heads of State and Government (January 2013) also stressed “…the need for the early operationalisation of the African Standby Force Rapid Deployment Capability, within the framework of the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA)”, experience from lessons learned from Mali and Competence of highly skilled team on ASF- APSA; and availability of resources. A report on progress made and challenges encountered in the early operationalization of the ASF RDC within the framework of APSA to the Special Technical Committee on Defence Security and Safety and the AU Assembly was submitted and adopted in January 2014.
Seminars/Conferences /Workshops/Trainings/Key Note Speakers
- 4-7 July 2018 Invited Guest Speaker at the African Women in Leadership and Public Service Forum speaking on Women in Leadership and Public Service. Venue: Nairobi Safari Club.
- 29-30 October 2019 Invited Guest Speaker at the International Political Science Association of Southern Africa Development Cooperation Public Lecture on: Peace and Security in Eastern Africa. Venue: Luanda, Angola National University.
- 5-7 July 2019 Invited Guest Speaker Kigali Rwanda on Forum on Governance and Development in Africa: Venue: Kigali Hotel
- 27 November 2021: Invited Keynote speaker on Global Sustainable Development Goals with emphasis on Goal 5: The gender global target and the African continent: challenges and opportunities, partnerships and collaborations; deconstructing patriarchal norms, cultural barriers, stereotypes to achieve women’s rights in Africa & plenary experiences. Venue: Nairobi Safari Club, Kenya.
- 10 March 2022: Invited Keynote Speaker to Roundtable discussion on Women Peace and Security in culmination of the International Women’s Day by Life and Peace Institute Non- Governmental Organization; specifically talking on challenges women face in accessing public spheres, including risks to their peace and security; and explore available entry points to advance women’s leadership in the 2022 elections. Audience: women drawn from informal settlements of Nairobi working with Boy Child at Risk Venue: Nairobi Safari Club.
- Evaluator for AMANI II Field Training Exercise (FTX) for the African Standby Force (ASF), 2015 Strategic Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in-charge of: Evaluating the AU Structures in Decision-Making Process of the strategic Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Operations and Plans of the Evaluation Team and the Report Writing Team for the final report to the AU Policy Organs. Member of the Core Planning Team for AMANI II FTX developing the Main Events List/Main Inject List for the Civilian Dimension of the ASF, 2014-2015. The Exercise aimed to validate the capacity of the African Union to mandate and employ a Rapid Deployment Capability (RDC) of the African Standby Force (ASF) as a start-up operation (Scenario 6), and to run a full multidimensional peace support operation (Scenario 5).
- Participant Crisis Management Course (2014), Finland (FINCENT) a scenario-based training with a culmination of a seminar both from Europe, the UN and African Union experiences in peacekeeping operations.
- Participant (at the Strat-HQ) AMANI I AU Command Post Exercise (CPX) for the African Standby Force (ASF), 2010 Strategic Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The aim was to evaluate the Initial Operating Capacity of ASF including: procedures of strategic and mission level structures; establishment of a mission HQ; awareness raising of the ASF capabilities with AUC officials and with Member States as well as with the public; building capacity of the participants to understand the ASF concept and mission management at strategic and operational level. I was in-charge of: The civilian component planning aspects of the protection of civilians, rule of law, humanitarian affairs in Carana, human rights violations, political affairs, gender and child protection.
- Participant Civilian-Police AU EX-NJIWA a capacity building programme with the overall objective of: “enhance the Police and Civilian capacities of the African Standby Force (ASF) in planning and conducting peace support operations mandated by the African Union”.
- Course Director: Training of Trainers on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Course, 27.07.15-07.08.15, International Peace Support Training Centre, Karen, Kenya.
- Member: Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Curriculum Development, International Peace Support Training Centre, Karen, Kenya.
- Moderator: Regional Civilian Training Standards Workshop, Simba Lodge Hotel Naivasha, Kenya, 19.12.11-21.12.11.
- Child Protection in Peace Support Operations Curriculum Development Writing Board at the EASF and later at Save the Children Sweden Office, Nairobi; the aim: To equip PSO personnel with the appropriate knowledge and skills on protection, rights and well-being of children affected by armed conflict 07.12.11-29.12.11.
- Eastern Africa Standby Force Experts Working Group on the EASF Training Strategy implementation plan; developed the EASF Minimum Training Standards, Training Plan and the Training Frameworks. Prepared the concept paper, set objectives and Terms of Reference for the Experts Working Group of the Eastern Africa Standby Force- 10.10.11-15.10.11.
- Core Planning Team on AMANI Eastern Africa Command Post Exercise (CPX), Khartoum, Sudan, Joint Staff College. This is involves training of HQ staffs for peacekeeping missions, 13.11.11-04.12.2011.
- Facilitator: Pre-CPX Training for the EASF CPX II, on the Gender Mainstreaming in PSO
- In-charge of Documentations of the AMANI EASF CPXII.
- EX-PLAY- EXCON representing the HICON-AU PSC as well as the Civil Society in a fictitious country-Carana, 26.12.11-30.12.11, December 2011.
- Evaluation of the Eastern Africa Standby Force Civilian Component, House of Weine, Karen Kenya, 01.31.2011-31-02.02.2011.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) developed the concept paper. An on-going process Feb-May 2011.The integrated SOPs for CPX 2011 exercise are in place. The civilian SOP on Public Information Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Activities and media, Press release and reporting templates on seeking military assistance are in place.
- Development of the EASF Integrated Concept of Operations (CONOPs) for the CPX II, also developed the civilian mission specific operations or CONOPs in 01.03.11.
- Facilitator: Early Warning &Disaster Management Course, 5-19 March the Union of Comoros.
- Facilitator: Specialization Course on Rule of Law in Post-Conflict peace Operations (included court prosecutors, lawyers, police, marshal court prosecutors, commissioners on peace &reconciliation commissions, human rights officers, political scientists) in Kigali, Rwanda, 13.06.11-23.06.11.
- Facilitator: PSO Foundation Course I-V, on contemporary peacekeeping operations and the use of Carana scenario in conflict analysis, 2009-2011. International Peace Support Training Center Nairobi Kenya.
- Facilitator: Integrated EASF Pre-CPX, Khartoum, Sudan 08.11.11-23.11.11.
- Rappoertour: The Eastern Africa Standby Force Policy Organs Meeting in Seychelles. Prepared the final report from the Committee of Experts Meeting, Eastern Africa Chiefs of Defense and Security and the Eastern Africa Standby Force Council of Ministers of Defense and Security.
- Resource Person/technical aspects: Eastern Africa Standby Force Experts Working Group on the implementation of the EASF Training Strategy and Standards.
- Mediation efforts by H.E Kofi Annan on Post-Election Violence in Kenya under the Women’s Voice for Peace in Kenya, organized at the Serena Hotel by United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), 25.01.2008. Contributed on mechanisms that should be in place for protection of women and children. This was facilitated by H.E Gracia M. Mandela on women’s Strategic participation on the negotiation table as well as dealing with the immediate needs.
- Training on the Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) process and the link to Security Sector Reforms by the German Technical Cooperation (GTZ) at Rwanda Military Academy, Nyakinama, 14.05.07-29.05.07.
- Participant on People in Aid/Recruit Africa on mobilizing people in emergency contexts on issues of Human Resource processes, partnerships and collaboration.
- Training of Trainers (TOT), Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Commission, on designing courses on conflict prevention, 25.02.08-29.02.08.
- Staff Training on the ‘Sphere Project’, Kenya Red Cross in collaboration with Oxfam GB on the understanding the international legal framework and practice in emergency response; activity planning and sequencing, 05.02.08.
- Tactical Civil Military Coordination (CPX) in collaboration with Shirbrig at the International Peace Support Training Center (IPSTC), 20.04.2009-30.04.2009.
- Negotiations course, Kofi Annan Peacekeeping Training Center, Ghana, Accra on the method of getting to yes negotiating agreement without giving in for instance separating the people from the problem, focusing on interests, not position, invent options for mutual gain and insist on using objective criteria, 05.05.2009-14.05.2009.
- African Union Strategic Mission Planning Course, African Union Commission, Addis Ababa, gained skills on the decision making process of the AU PSC, 03.08.2009-07.08.2009.
- African Union AMANI CYCLE MAPEX, African Union Commission, where l prepared the AU Integrated Mission Planning matrix specifically for the civilian aspects, 31.08.2009-04.09.2009.
- African Union Strategic Political Affairs Seminar/Conference, African Union Commission where l was a panelist before the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) representing the civilian dimension on both political and humanitarian issues in CARANA, 21.11.2009-28.11.2009.
- Eastern Africa Standby Force Field Training Exercise (FTX) 2009, Arta, Djibouti. Worked in KenBatt as humanitarian liaison office, and received morning briefings, and responded in a multidimensional way with military and police colleagues in the area of operation.
- Civilian Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Eastern African Standby Force, on establishing needs assessments in line with the UNDPKO and the AU PSO, 16.06.2010.
Select Consultancies, Expert Reports And Special Assignments
- Technical personnel for Institute for Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs (USIU-Africa-IPPIA): Developed proposal on ‘Governance, Society and Conflict (e.g. transparency, accountability, effective institutions, land and natural resource rights, poverty alleviation, social development, structural inequalities, violence and security, peace building, civil society)’ submitted to The Newton Fund to build UK-partner country with one from either China, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico and Thailand to link early career researchers (North-South) collaborations centred on shared research and innovation challenges which have direct relevance to Newton partner countries’ social welfare and economic development. It is managed by UK Government’s Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, and delivered through 16 UK delivery partners in collaboration with 16 partner countries. Awaiting results.
- Technical Personnel for Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs (USIU-Africa-IPPIA): Submitted proposal to the Kenya Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2016) under the World Bank Project: Proposal on ‘Kenya GPE Primary Education Development (Pride) Project: Policy study on models for providing education to enhance participation in basic education for children in Arid and Semi-Arid Locations (ASAL) Counties, informal settlements in Nairobi and Mombasa and Children with special needs in Kenya.’ Awaiting results.
- Curriculum developer and trainer for the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) force on Sexual and Gender Based Violence Course- conducted seven course in 2015 alone.
- Consultant to the Union Commission on the AMANI II Field Training Exercise (FTX) Evaluation Team to the Strategic Headquarters in Lohatla, South Africa in-charge of operations and plans, report writing team and evaluation of the Civilian Dimension of the African Standby Force 2015.
- Consultant to the Southern Africa Development Cooperation (SADC) Regional Peacekeeping Training Centre (RPTC) on the development of the Sexual and Gender Based Violence curriculum for the SADC forces to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Training course on SGBV in July 2015.
- Consultant to the Republic of South Sudan SPLA Senior Officers and the South Sudan National Police on Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) Course in November, 2014.
- Consultant to the African Union Commission on the African Standby Force Rapid Deployment Capability Assessment whose report was presented to the Special Technical Committee on Safety and Security (STCDSS) and Heads of State and Government during the January 2014 summit.
- Consultant to the EASF Experts Working Group on EASF Training Strategy to be presented before the Eastern Africa Standby Force Council of Ministers in the Republic of Seychelles Feb 27.02.2012-2.03. 2012.
- One of the instructors for the Ist EASF contingent to Somalia, AMISOM 2011.
- One of the instructors for the KenBatt Sector Commanders for rotation to UNMIS 2010.
- Study on the Eastern Africa Standby Force Centers of Excellence and EASF Training Strategy 2010-2011.
- Core Planning Team for the Eastern Africa Standby Force Command Post Exercise 2011 on scenario development, documentation and Pre CPX training.
- Development of draft Civilian Mission Specific Operations (or concept of operations)2011
- Integrated draft EASF Concept of Operations (CONOPs) 2011.
- Integrated draft EASF Standard Operating Procedures 2010-2011.
- The Head of Mission Directives for the EASF CPX 2011.
- Draft civilian job descriptions 2011.
- Development of Civilian Component course curriculum for all courses for 2011, website statement, vision and values 2010.
- Consultant on Small Arms and Light Weapons concepts and media production 2007.
- National examiner in literature in Kiswahili paper III under Kenya National Examinations Council 2001-2006.
- Analysis of the Mount Elgon Conflict and recommendation on Disarmament exercise 2007.
- To monitor the impact of conflict on women in the North Rift region under the Kenya Red Cross 2008.
- Fund raising school fees for the needy children 2004.
- National Drama Producer, Patron for the youth -2005-a play HEARTBEAT-on HIV/AIDS.
Contribution To Key Task Forces
- Civilian component participant AU Strategic Mission Planning Training, Development of the AMANI I MAPEX & Strategic Political Strategic Seminar (Funding considerations) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Civilian planner 1st EASF Field Training Exercise in Djibouti (2009) (Documentation& briefings).
- Civilian planner 2nd EASF Command Post Exercise in Khartoum, Sudan (2011) (Training, EXCON-HICON & LOCON).
- Civilian planner & participant AU AMANI Africa I Command Post Exercise (2010) (Strategic HQ) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Civilian planner AU AMANI Africa I Command Post Exercise (2010) AU Peace & Security Council (PSC) Political Affairs/Humanitarian Panelist for AMISOM Communique on expansion of the Mandate in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Panelist & participant at the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) in AMANI 2010 where l contributed to the political & humanitarian content of the current AMISOM mandate.
- Civilian planner AU Exercise for Civilians and Police –EX-NJIWA (January, 2012) participant in management team in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Participant AU AMANI II Field Training Exercise (2015), Strategic Headquarters Evaluator of Civilian Component, Plans & Operations of the Evaluation Team & Report Writing Team of two personnel in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Participant Exercise Design, Delivery and Implementation. Developed EASF Evaluation Criteria for Full Operational Capability (FOC) in Nairobi, Kenya.