Dr. John Onyango Omboto
Dr John Onyango Omboto (PhD), a Security and Correction Science Lecturer at Kenyatta University, is a University of Nairobi trained Criminologist - a Crime, Criminal Justice, and Offender Rehabilitation expert. He holds a PhD and Master of Arts Degrees in Criminology, Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology and Public Administration, and a Distinction Diploma in Criminology and Social Order, all from the University of Nairobi. Dr. Omboto served the Kenya Prisons Service as a senior officer for over ten years before venturing into full time university teaching. Besides Kenyatta University, he has taught Criminology, Security Management and Sociology courses at the University of Nairobi, Egerton University, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Mount Kenya University and Chuka University.
During his work at Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, he served as the Head, Criminology and Security Management Department. In Egerton University, Dr. Omboto taught at its Nairobi City Campus, Njoro Campus and in Juba, South Sudan. He also served the university as the Academic Leader for the MA Security Management Programme. At Chuka University Dr. Omboto teaches PhD courses in Criminology and Security Studies programme. At Kenyatta University, in addition to teaching, he has served as Examination Coordinator - Department of Security and Correction Science, Vice Chair - School of Security, Diplomacy and Peace Studies Post Graduate Committee, and as a member of the schools’ programmes development committee, among other departmental committees. Dr. Omboto was among the Kenyatta University experts contracted in the year 2019 to develop training curricula and modules for all cadres of the Rwanda Correctional Service staff. He was part of a seven-member team who launched the training in Kigali on request of the Rwandan Government.
Dr Onyango Omboto has special interest in Criminology and Security Studies. In these broad areas, he has published several papers in peer reviewed journals. In addition, he has developed numerous learning modules for different universities in Kenya besides supervision and examination of MA and PhD theses. Some of his papers have been compiled into two books: ‘Readings in Criminology and Security Studies’: ISBN 978-9966-814-69-2 and ‘Themes on Crime and criminal justice’: ISBN: 978-9914-49-067-1. His other book is ‘Challenges facing the control of drugs and substance abuse in prisons’: ISBN 978-3-659-46266-5. Dr Omboto is a reviewer with the Journal of Criminological Research, Policy and Practice - a British based Emerald Publication, and Open Journal of Social Sciences- Scientific Research Publishing. He is a member of Professional Criminologists Association of Kenya (PCAK), Criminological Society of Africa (CRIMSA), Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS) and Western Society of Criminology (WSC).
Research Interest Areas
- Criminological Issues.
- Penology and Rehabilitation of offenders.
- Security concerns.
- Drug and Substance Abuse related Issues.
- Police and Prison matters.
Published Books from the Latest
- October 2022 Published a book titled “Themes on Crime and Criminal Justice” (ISBN: 978-9914-49-067-1) Designed and printed by Kenyatta University Press (KUP).
- January 2018- Published a book titled “Readings in Criminology and Security Studies: A compilation of Journal Papers” (ISBN 978-9966-814-69-2) Designed and printed by Kenyatta University Press (KUP).
- September 2013-Published a book titled “Challenges Facing the Control of Drugs and Substance Abuse in Prisons” (ISBN 978-3-659-46266-5) by a Germany based international publishing company-LAMBERT ACADEMIC PUBLISHING (LAP).The book cover can be viewed by clicking https://www.lap-publishing.com//system/covergenerator/build/91832.
Learning Materials developed for Different Universities from the Latest
- April, 2021, I developed e-learning module titled ‘Comparative Justice Systems’ for the students studying Security and Correction Science at Kenyatta University.
- January, 2021, I developed e-learning module titled ‘Criminal Justice System’ for the students studying Security and Correction Science at Kenyatta University.
- October, 2020, I developed e-learning module on Criminology; a third-year course for students studying Criminology and Security Studies at Egerton University.
- November, 2019, I developed a module titled ‘Prison Management, Reforms and Rehabilitation’ for Rwanda Correctional Services (RCS) under Kenyatta University.
- November, 2019, I developed a module titled ‘Development and Management of Prison Enterprises’ for Rwanda Correctional Services (RCS) under Kenyatta University.
- April, 2018, I developed e-learning module on Victimology; a Post Graduate Diploma unit in Probation Practice and Correctional Studies Programme offered at Egerton University for probation officers.
- September, 2017, I developed e-learning module on Security Investigations; a fourth-year course for students studying Criminology and Security Studies at Egerton University.
Published Journal Papers from the Latest
- Omboto John Onyango (2023) Curse or Blessing in Reformation of Convicts? An Analysis of Imprisonment as a form of Punishment. London Journal of Research in Humanities and Social Sciences, Volume 23 | Issue 3 | Compilation 1.0.
- Omboto John Onyango (2022) The Influence of Imprisonment on Recidivism in Kenya. IOSR Journal of Research & Method in Education (IOSR-JRME) e-ISSN: 2320–7388, p- ISSN: 2320-737x Volume 12, Issue 5 Ser. IV (Sep. – Oct. 2022), 34-40 iosrjournals.org
- Mbuthia, Catherine Wambaire& Omboto, John (2022) Radicalization and De- Radicalization of the Youth against Violent Extremism in Murang’a County, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Volume 27, Issue 10, Series 3 (October, 2022) 01-06 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. www.iosrjournals.org
- Omboto, J. O. (2022) An Analysis of Probation Service Order and Its Application in Kenya. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 10, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2022.104008
- John Onyango Omboto, Gidraph G Wairire and Mike Chepkong’a (2020) The profile of recidivists in Kenya: The case of prisoners at Nairobi county prison institutions. South African Journal of Criminal Justice, Volume 33 Issue 3, p. 708 – 730
- Rono, J K., Mwagi, S W., & Omboto, J. (2020). Analysis of the Capacity of Prison Security Structures on Inmate Escape Prevention in Nakuru Main Prison, Kenya. A Perspective of Junior Prison Officers. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 7(7) 843-851.
- Njoroge, P., Mwagi, W., & Omboto, J. (2020). Effects of Prison Reforms on Reformation of Inmates in Nyandarua County Prisons, Kenya. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 7(7) 630-639.
- Wasonga Willis, Mwangi Wokabi & Omboto John (2019). Impeded Parenthood: An analysis of the link between prisoners’ coping mechanisms and reformation at Embu prison, - Journal of International Academic Research for Multidisciplinary, ISSN: 2320-5083, Volume 7, Issue 5, June 2019.
- Ongere, I., Mukhwana, F., & Omboto, J. (2019). Strategies Adopted by The Adventist Centre In Enhancing Livelihood Sustainability Among Beneficiaries in Kibagare Slum. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 6(5) 122-127.
- Wasonga Willis, Mwangi Wokabi, Omboto John (2019) Effect of Impeded Parenthood on Reformation of Offenders at Embu Prison, - IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Volume 24, Issue 4, Ser. 2 (April. 2019) 65-77 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. iosrjournals.org
- Omboto, J.O (2019) Ineffective Policing in Kenya: Causes and Alleviation, African Journal of Law and Criminology, -AJLC Vol. 9 No. Pp 27-36 ISSN 2045-8525 (Online) ISSN-2045-8401(Print) Publishers: Century Publications, United Kingdom. Website: centurypublications.com.
- Maratu, M., Mwangi, W., & Omboto, J. (2018). Practice of Kenyan Legal Codes and the Effective Application of Informal Controls and Sanctions in Maintaining Social Order. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 5(10) 30-36.
- Omboto, J.O (2018) Economic Crimes: Factors Responsible for Rampant Fraud and Corruption in Kenya, Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 5(10) 88-94.
- Kimotho, F., Mwangi, W., & Omboto, J (2018) Effects of Occupational Strain among Police Officers to the General Security of a Community: A Case of Murang’a Town, Murang’a County, Kenya’ Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 5(9) 186-192.
- Omboto, J.O, Wairire, G, Chepkong’a, M (2018) Linkages between Punishment and Recidivism in Kenya: Analysis of Factors Influencing Re-convictions in Kenya, IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Volume 23, Issue 4, Ver. 7 (April. 2018) Pp 21-29. e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845. Journal Weblink- iosrjournals.org.
- Omboto, J.O, Wairire, G, Chepkong’a, M (2018) Linkages between Punishment and Recidivism in Kenya: Analysis of Typology and Severity of Recidivists’ Crimes, The International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies (ISSN 2321-9203) Volume 6, Issue 4, Pp 62-67. Journal Weblink-www.theijhss.com.
- Omboto, J.O (2018) Alternative Strategies against Mal-functioning Criminal Justice System in Ensuring Security in Kenya, Academic Journals- Conference Proceedings.
- Omboto, J.O (2017) The Nexus between Social Stigma and Crime, The International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies (ISSN 2321-9203) Volume 5, Issue 7, Pp 240-244. Journal Weblink-www.theijhss.com.
- Omboto, J.O (2015) The capital offenders’ punishment and Death Sentence Dilemma in Kenya, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 4 No 9, Pp.95-98. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- Omboto, J.O (2013) Social Control and Crime Escalation in Kenya, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 3 No 3, Pp. 52-57. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- Omboto, J.O (2013) Poverty and Greed in Perspective on Crimes, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 2 No.4, Pp.34-38. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- Omboto, J.O (2013) The Paradox of Prison Reforms, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 2 No.3, Pp.44-47. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- Omboto, J.O (2013) The challenges facing Rehabilitation of prisoners in Kenya and the mitigation strategies, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 2 No.2, Pp.39-43. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- Omboto, J.O, Ondiek, G, Odera, O, Ayugi, M.E (2013) Factors Influencing Youth Crime and Juvenile Delinquency, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences Volume 2, Pp. 18-21. Journal Weblink-www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
Published opinion articles in daily / weekly newspapers- I have shared by knowledge and skills with the general public through publication of opinion articles in the newspapers. Some of the articles are:
- ‘Swift, Effective Punishment Can Control Rampant Crime in Kenya’- Published in the Standard Newspaper on Friday, February 4, 2022. Pg 18.
- ‘Criminal Justice: It Is Wrong to Equate Pre-Trial Custody with Imprisonment’-Published by Nation Media Group online on Thursday, February 11, 2021
- ‘How Truants, Delinquents Become Hardcore Criminals’- Published opinion in the Nairobian Weekly Newspaper-April 23-29, 2021 Pg 30
Some of Main Researches Conducted:
- In the year, 2014- 2020 – I Conducted research on recidivism at Kamiti Male and Langata Women prison institutions for a PhD course. The thesis titled is “An Analysis of the Linkage between Punishment and Recidivism among Prisoners in Nairobi County-Kenya.”
- In the year, 2010- Conducted research on the Challenges facing control of drugs and substances in prison institutions in Kenya for a master’s degree course. The research titled “Challenges Facing the Control of Drugs and Substances Use and Abuse in Prisons in Kenya: The case of Kamiti Prison.”
- In the year, 2003- Conducted research on young offenders’ penal institution for an undergraduate course. The project titled “Kamiti Youth Corrective Training Centre; Kenya’s penal institution of its own kind.”