Dr. Margaret Wanjiru Makanya
Name: Dr. Margaret Wanjiru Makanya
Department: Early Childhood & Special Needs Education
Designation/Position: LecturerDownload Cv
I have published two papers since I attained a master’s degree with the following titles:
- Vocational education and community integration of young adults with mental retardation in the Journal of Special Needs and Disabilities Studies Vol.no.1-July 2013.Nairobi Academic Press-Kenya.
- Effectiveness of transitional services to community integration of young adults with mental retardation in the Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals(JAASEP)-Spring Summer 2014.
Two PhD publication papers are awaiting release from publishers.
- Involvement of learners with severe intellectual disabilities in physical activities.
- Effectiveness of Child –to-Child physical activities in managing psychosocial behaviours among learners with severe intellectual disabilities.
University Teaching Experience
- Lecturing (Kenyatta University-Main Campus)
- Part- time lecturing ( Kenyatta University- Main Campus)
- Part-time lecturing ( African Nazarene University- Main Campus)
- Associate Module writer ( Kenyatta and Mount Kenya Universities-Main Campuses)
- During my masters degree I did my research on vocational education and community integration of young adults with mental retardation in Kiambu County. In my PhD I researched on child-to-child physical activities in managing psychosocial behaviours among learners with severe intellectual disabilities in selected counties in Kenya.
- I was actively involved in a city campus mall research in Kenyatta University (Kenyatta University surroundings).
- I was a research analyst involved by the Kenya society for the Mentally Handicapped on HIV and AIDS awareness amongst children and youth with intellectual disabilities.
- I was a research assistant with KNECK and AGHAKAN FOUNDATIONS (EMAC) on literacy and numeracy levels in selected secondary and primary school in Garissa County.
- I was involved in a collaboration research between MGc University (Canada), National Housing cooperation (NACHU) and Kenyatta University (Kenya) on children’s safety and security in selected Nairobi slum areas.
- I was a research assistant in a collaboration research between MT. Vincent University (Canada) and Kenyatta University (Kenya) on teachers’ perception of their teaching experiences in selected Nairobi secondary and primary schools.
- I was a research assistant on a cross national research concerning sexual violence among learners with special needs in selected special schools in Nairobi between Kenyatta University staff member and University of South Africa (UNISA).
- I have been a sports coordinator in Laikipia, Kajiado and Kiambu counties in the area of special needs handling all schools with learners who are intellectually disabled (LAIKIPIA-2005-2006 , KAJIADO 2012-2016 and KIAMBU 2017 to date).
- I have been a class representative in the university during my masters degree course (KENYATTA UNIVERSITY-2009-2011).
- I have been a deputy headteacher (MUTHENGERA SCHOOL FOR THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED-2007-2008).
- I deal with youths in the church including writing their lessons and training Sabbath school teachers on how to handle children.
- I have been a games captain in the teachers training college (NAROK T.T.C-1993-1995) and a games mistress (MWITURIA PRIMARY-1996-2002).
- I have successfully trained Sabbath School Teachers in a number of years in MT. Zion Seventh Day Church College, Kameria.
- I have worked with ST. MARTIN APOSTOLATE NYAHURURU –LAIKIPIA County (NGO) in creating awareness on disability management amongst parents, teachers, social workers and volunteers.
- I was involved in training persons with intellectual challenges in voting (IEC) through KENYA SOCIETY FOR THE MENTALLY HANDICAPPED (KSMH) in both Nakuru and Laikipia County.