Dr David G. Kariuki
Name: Dr David G. Kariuki
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0349-677X
Dr. David Gichovi Kariuki is a member of staff at Kenyatta University, Department of Educational Psychology. He has a Bachelor of Education (Upper Second-Class Honors) in Business Studies and Economics from University of Nairobi. His graduate training was from Kenyatta University, where he obtained his Master of Arts in Educational Psychology in 1987. His research focus was on Learning and Motivation.
From 1996 to 1998, he undertook an Advanced Diploma course in Clinical Neuropsychology in an initiative sponsored by the Niilo Maki Institute of the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. This enabled him to spearhead the development of the Diploma course in Clinical Child Neuropsychology, which is currently domiciled at the Educational Psychology Department of Kenyatta University. It is the only course of its type in Africa, save for two Universities in South Africa.
He completed his PhD in Educational Psychology at Kenyatta University in 2017. The general area of focus was on Learning and Motivation, while the specific interest was on Personal, Familial and School Factors as correlates of Achievement Motivation among secondary school students in Kenya.
He is a Motivational Speaker as well as an active Researcher with extensive national and international research networks. David has worked as the Co-ordinator, Kenyatta University Family welfare and Counselling project from 1991 to 2014, TOT Consultant in the field of Peer Counselling for the former Highridge Teacher Training College among others as well as a Consultant in Assessment and Remediation of Neuropsychological deficits among children aged 3 to 16 years.
David has been instrumental to the establishment/renewal of the following departmental partnerships:
- KU/Niilo Maki Institute, Finland
- KU/Gertude’s Garden Children’s Hospital
He has been involved in marketing Kenyatta University’s Culture Week initiative as well as production of its Brochure and Magazine.
David is a member of several professional bodies such International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development (ISSBD), and the Kenya Hospital Association. He serves on a number of Kenyatta University committees and sub-committees in his capacity as the Chairman of Kenyatta University’s Educational Psychology department.
David is a mentor, academic advisor, and supervisor to several undergraduate and graduate students within the Eastern African Region and beyond.
- Kariuki, D. G: Theories of Educational Research (Submitted January 2021, Publication awaiting Letter of acceptance).
- Kariuki, D. G: Foundations of Clinical Child Neuropsychology (March 2021). (Completed and sent for publication).
- Kariuki, D. G. (2019) The Importance of Students’ Motivation for Their Academic Achievement – Replicating and Extending Previous Findings.
- Kariuki, D. G. (2018) “The Relationship of Selected Personal Factors to Achievement Motivation Among High School students in Nairobi County, Kenya”.
- Kariuki, D. G. (2018) The relationship between four demographic factors-familysize, ordinal position, mother's age, and social class-to development of aspirations and their impact on Achievement Motivation.
- Kariuki, D. G. (2017) “Personal, familial and School factors as Correlates of Achievement Motivation among Secondary School Students in Nairobi County, Kenya”. (PHD Thesis).
- Aro, T., Kariuki, D. G., Jere-Folotiya, J., Hengari, J., and Mkandawire, L. (2011) “Assessment of Learning Disabilities. Cooperation between Teachers, Psychologists and Parents. African edition”. ISBN: 978-951-29-4687-7 (Painettu).
- Kariuki, D. G. (2001) Introduction to Psychology, Kenyatta University (IOL), Nairobi.