Dr. Joseph K. Muriithi
Research and Publications
Refereed Journal Papers
- Muriithi JK and Ngare IO (2023) Transitioning circular economy from policy to practice in Kenya. Front. Sustain. 4:1190470. doi: 10.3389/frsus.2023.1190470
- Ireri, P., Muriithi, J.K.., Kung’u, J.B. (2023). A review of Kenya’s policy on local community participation in tourism, The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social and Community Studies.
- Musyoka, J.K., Ming’ate F.L.M., Muriithi, J.K (2022). Factors determining household membership to Community Forest Association for participation in management of Upper Imenti Forest, Meru County, Kenya, Journal of Sustainable Forestry
- Musyoka, J.K., Ming’ate F.L.M., Muriithi, J.K (Under review 2022). Benefits of Participatory Forest Management to Community Forest Association Members in Upper Imenti Forest, Meru County, Kenya. Heliyon Journal
- Ireri, P., Kung‟u, J.B. & Muriithi, J.K. (2020). Distribution of the Benefits of Ngare Ndare Forest Trust and Il Ngwesi Group Ranch Ecotourism Enterprises in Kenya. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 9(5):1178-1192
- Mutua B, Muriithi, J.K, Omwoyo O. (2014): Farmers awareness levels on the effects of pathenium weed (Partheniumhyterophorus L.) on agricultural production and its control in Nyando, Kenya, International Journal of Agriculture, Vol 125(305-310).
- Muriithi, J.K. (2013): Eco-certification and Insertion of Socioeconomic and Cultural Best Practices in Ecotourism Operations in Kenya, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 3 No. 5; March 2013
- Muriithi, J.K. (2013): Ecotourism Ideals, Contradictory Actors Practices and Environmental Conservation in Kenya‟s Tourism Destinations, Resources and Environment 2013, 3(2): 24-34 DOI: 10.5923/j.re.20130302.03
- Wangai P, Muriithi, J.K and Andreas Koenig A. (2013): Drought Related Impacts on Local People‟s Socioeconomic Life and Biodiversity Conservation at Kuku Group Ranch, Southern Kenya ,International Journal of Ecosystems 2013, 3(1): 1-6 DOI: 10.5923/j.ije.20130301.01
- Muriithi, J.K. (2007): „Continuity and Change in Tourism Practices in Kenya‟ in Mambo, Volume VI, n° 2; 2007, French Institute of Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp. 1-6.
- Muriithi, J. K. (2007): „Vested Interests and Natural Resource Governance in Kenya in L’Afriqueorientaleannuaire (eds) Charton, H et Médard, C. L‟Harmattan, Paris, pp. 165-198.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2006): „Common Heritage, Diverse Interests: Deforestation and Conservation Alternatives for Mt. Kenya‟ in Les Cahier D’Outre-Mer, Afrique de L‟Est: Montagnes, Numéro 235 Vol. 59. Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, pp. 307-332.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2006): „Embracing Community-Based Ecotourism: Tourism Initiatives and Practices around Mt. Kenya National Reserve ‟(2006), in Les Cahiers d'Afrique de l'est, N° 28, pp. 31-49.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2005): „Towards Co-management of Forests: Dynamics of Collaborative Forest Governance Around Mount Kenya‟, in Les Cahier d’Afrique de l’est N° 26, French Institute for Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp 1-38.
Refereed Book Chapters since 2014
- Muriithi, J. K., 2022.. Role of conservancy-based tourism in the management of natural ecosystem services in the Maasai Mara, Kenya. In Management of Tourism Ecosystem Services in a Post Pandemic Context(pp. 11-29). Routledge, London.
- Muriithi, J. K., 2022., Sustainability Perspectives of the Wildlife Conservancy–Based Tourism Model in a Post-Pandemic Context in Kenya. In Tourism through Troubled Times: Challenges and opportunities of the tourism industry in 21st century, (pp. 181–202). Emerald Publishing, London.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2017): Towards Sustainable Urban Green Development in Nairobi: Policy Options in _Devolution and Development in Kenya: Selected Issues, Challenges and Remedies_ Nsemia Plc, Canada, Mwenzwa and Thuranira (eds)
- Muriithi, J.K. (2016): Mountain Tourism in Dynamic Settings: Challenges and Efforts to Align Tourism to Emerging Realities in Mt Kenya Area, In East African Mountain Dynamics, edited by François Bart, Mkuki na Nyota, Dar el Salaam,
- Muriithi, J.K. (2014): The Role of Certification in Enhancing Achievement of Sustainable Ecotourism Development in Kenya, In Beyond Safari: The Third Cycle of Tourism Revolution in Kenya, L‟Harmattan, Paris, edited by Jean Rieucau
- Karienye D, Ochola S, and Muriithi J.K. (2012): Impacts of Climate Variability on Rural Livelihoods in Nyeri County, Kenya Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany
Conference /Workshop/Symposium Papers
- December 4th, 2018: Workshop paper presentation at the Delft Institute for Water Innovations, The Netherlands titled, “Managing water scarcity in contexts of competing stakeholders visions”
- 9th -10th March 2018: Resource person at a conference on “Socioeconomic considerations on risk assessment of Genetically Modified Organism (GMOs) organized by the Kenya Bio-safety Authority at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies.
- October 26-30th 2015: Participated and presented a paper on “Capacity Building for Action Research in Kenya” at University of Michigan, African Studies Centers‟ Partnership, Publication & Funding Workshop Agenda
- September 21-25th 2015: Participated and presented a paper entitled, “socioeconomic Impacts and Monitoring of Kenya’s two models of Protected Areas (National parks and Game Reserves), at a conference at the University of Wuerzburg, Germany.
- 8th - 10th July 2014: Participated and presented a paper at the Green Economy in the South conference in Dodoma, Tanzania. Paper was titled, “Certification in ecotourism: Review of experiences and impacts of using “Green credentials” in Kenya.
- 05-10 March 2012: Participant at the Implementation Research Proposal Development workshop organized by the World Health Organisation at Serena Hotel, Kampala, Uganda, 05-10 March 2012. July 3rd –July 9th 2011: Facilitator and discussant at the “Mountain and Small Cities” Conference at the Green Hill Hotel, Nyeri; July 3rd –July 9th 2011.
- 22/23/24 September 2010: Presented a paper at the conference on “Public Understanding of Science in Africa” titled, “Ecotourism and Interactions of Experts and Local People in Conservation Efforts in Kenya”, at the British Institute for Research in Africa-Nairobi, 22/23/24 September 2010.
- 17 November 2009, Degrading paradise: Eco-tourism Ideals and Contradictory Actors‟ Practices in Kenya‟s protected areas, research seminar paper given to the Political Ecology Group, University of Cambridge, UK 17 November 2009.
- 15th September 2009: Resource person and discussant in the workshop “Proficiency Standardization and Validation of Tourism Training by the Catering and Tourism Development Levy (CTDLT), 15th September 2009, Silver Spring Hotel, Nairobi.
- 3rd to 14th July 2006: Training in Research Methods with special emphasis on qualitative, qualitative, spatial analyses and field work, organised by the National Centre for Scientific Research-Paris, Institute for Research and Development Paris, 3rd to 14th July 2006, Nairobi.
- 24th/25th/26th November, 2005: Impacts of Tourism on Nature: The Management of Mt. Kenya. Paper Presented at the International colloquium on governance stakes and sustainable tourism development in protected areas held on 24th/25th/26th November, 2005, Nice, France.
- 21st-26th August, 2004: Community Based Forest Management in Kenya: the case of mount Kenya area”, Seminar presentation made during the National Centre for Competence in Research, East African Review Workshop between 21st-26th August, 2004, Sportsman‟s Arms, Nanyuki, Kenya.
Consultancy and Project Reports
- Translation: Muriithi, J.K. (2003): The life of Charles Muhoro Kareri, African Studies Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, edited by Derek R Peterson
- Translation: Muriithi, J.K. (2009): “What should we do, Our People”-by Henry Mworia., In Writing for Kenya: The life and Works of Henry Muoria, Brill Publishers, Leiden eds. Wangari Muoria-Sal, Bodil Folke Frederiksen, John Lonsdale, Derek Peterson
- Collation and Compilation: Muriithi, J.K. (2003): Under One Roof: Gikuyu Proverbs Consolidated, Paulines Publications Africa. Edited by Gerald J Wanjohi.
- Publication in French: Muriithi, J.K. (2003): “Funèrailles Kikuyu dans les quartiers de Nairobi”, Les figures de la mort à Nairobi. Une capitale sans cimetière- Nairobi, IFRA ;Paris, L‟Harmattan, IUED-CREPAO, Droz, Yvan & Maupeu, Hervé (dir.).