Professor Chege Githiora is author of journal articles and books published in English, Swahili, and Spanish. His latest book, Sheng: Rise of a Kenyan Swahili Vernacular London: James Currey (2018) (Sheng) was based on detailed sociolinguistic research into the dynamics and complexities of multilingualism and language stratification in Nairobi City, and constructions of Kenyan youth identities. He has also published descriptive studies (grammar, dictionary, and orthography) of Swahili, Spanish, and Gĩkũyũ. Prof Githiora supervises postgraduate theses (MA and PhD) on all topics in Sociolinguistics, Semantics, Pragmatics, and general linguistics of Swahili and Gĩkũyũ languages.
- Sheng: Rise of a Kenyan Swahili Vernacular (2018). 220pp+xiv, London: James Currey.ISBN 978-1-84701-227-2. Sheng: Rise of a Kenyan Swahili Vernacular: Githiora, Chege: Amazon.com: Books
- Unmarked Grave [Kaburi Bila Msalaba] (2017). A translation from Swahili. Nairobi: Phoenix Publishers. ISBN 9966-47-899-X.
- Swahili Verbs and Grammar Essentials (2014). London: JC Press, ISBN 978-0-9543960-1-5.
- Afro-Mexicans: Discourse of Race and Identity in the African Diaspora (2008). 258 pp +xvii, Africa World Press, Trenton, New Jersey. ISBN 1-59221-647-1. Afro-Mexicans: com: Books
- Simple Swahili (2006). London: JC Press. ISBN: 0-9543960-0-6.
- Diccionario swahili-español (2002). 190pp+iv, El Colegio de Mexico, Centro de Estudios de Asia y Africa. Mexico, ISBN :968-12-1075. (First Swahili-Spanish dictionary). View article (google.co.uk)
- Kwandĩka Gĩgĩkũyũ Wega (Othongirabĩ), London: JC Press. ISBN 978-0-9543960-2-2 (A guide for Gĩkũyũ orthography).
- With Chris Gainty (Course writers), ‘Swahili Audio Course with Supplemental Booklet,’ 10 Unit course for Pimsleur Language Programs. (2002). Simon & Schuster Audio, Concord, NH. ISBN 978-1402517747
Edited Books & Book Chapters:
- Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o: Tribute on his 80th birthday,’ in Ngũgĩ: Reflections on his Life of Writing (2018). Gikandi S & Wachanga (eds). London: James Currey.
- ‘Selected Poems of Gĩtahi Gĩtĩtĩ’ (2016) writing in Gĩkũyũ. With introduction, Modern Poetry in Translation (MPT) No 2, 2016, Special issue, ‘One Thousand Suns.’
- Editorial, Journal of African Cultural Studies, (2011) University of London (SOAS), Vol. 23 No. 2 (May 2011).
- Special Issue on ‘East African Culture and Society,’ (ed), Journal of African Cultural Studies, University of London (SOAS), Vol. 22 Issue No. 2 (2010).
- (Compiler), (2007) The Ten Shillings and Other Stories. An Anthology of Short Stories from all over Africa. MacMillan, Kenya. ISBN: 9966-34-262-1.
- With Tabitha Otieno, Kenya. National Geographic Reader. (2007). ISBN: 978-0- 7922-7668-5
- “Kenya: Language and the Search for a Coherent National Identity” in Language and Nationalism in Africa, (pp. 235-251), (2008). Oxford University Press, A. Simpson (ed.). ISBN: 978-0-19-928674-4. View article (google.co.uk)
- ‘Gĩkũyũ Orthography: Past and Future Perspectives,’ pp. 21-45. in Trends in African Linguistics Vol. 6. 2003. Africa World Press, Trenton NJ. ISBN 1-59221-201-8
- Countries and Languages of the World: Kenya,’ in Elsevier Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd 2006. Keith Brown (ed).
- Countries and Languages of the World: Gĩkũyũ.’ (2006). in Elsevier Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd 2006. Keith Brown (ed).
- “Shaaban Bin Robert y el Mensaje de la Poesía Swahili.” In Africa Inventando el Futuro,
- Centro de Estudios de Asia y Africa, El Colegio de México, Celma Agüero Doná (ed), Mexico. (1994)
- With Manfredi and Littlefield. (2003). Trends in African Linguistics Vol. 6. 2003. Africa World Press, Trenton NJ. ISBN 1-59221-201-8.
- (1992) Into Spanish, “Shaaban Bin Robert y el Mensaje de la Poesía Swahili.” In Africa Inventando el Futuro, Centro de Estudios de Asia y Africa, El Colegio de México, Celma Agüero Doná (ed). Mexico. Selected poems of Swahili poet Shaaban bin Robert, with Introduction.
- (2009) Swahili short story, ‘Mke Wangu’ by Mohammed S Abdallah, into Gĩkũyũ ('Mũtumia Wakwa,' and English, ‘My Wife’ (JC Press, 2009)
- (2000) ‘Binga’ (Short story) in Step into A World: A Global Anthology of the New Black Literature, Kevin Powell, (ed), John Wiley and Sons, NY, 2000. ISBN: 0471380601
- (2003) ‘In the Heat of the Moment,’ (Short Story) in Kwani? 2003, Vol. 1 No.1. ISBN 99669836-0-0
Journal Articles :
- Sheng : Expanding Domains of an Urban Vernacular, Journal of African Cultural Studies, January (2016). DOI: 10.1080/13696815.2015.1117962
- ‘Afro-Mexicans: The Third Root of Mexico,’ in Journal of African Renaissance Vol 8. No. 2 (July 2011). ISSN: 1744-2532
- Editorial, Special Issue on ‘East Africa,’ Journal of African Cultural Studies (JACS). Vol 20. No. 1, 2008. University of London (SOAS)
- “Swahili at SOAS.” in SOAS: A Celebration in Many Voices (2007). Third Milleneum Publishing, London. Catrine Clay (ed).
- ‘Some Problems and Insights in the Lexicography of Two Non-Kindred Languages: Spanish and Swahili,’ 2002. in Journal of African Language Learning and Teaching (JALLA) Vol 1. No.1. pp.49-73.
- ‘Sheng: Peer Language, Swahili Dialect or Emerging Creole?’ (2002). in Journal of African Cultural Studies (JACS), University of London (SOAS), Vol. 15 No. 2, pp. 159-183. ISSN: 1369-681
- ‘Afro Mexican names: A Trail of History and Kinship,’ in Conexoes, African Diaspora Research Project Newsletter, Vol 6, No. 2., Nov. 1994, Michigan State University.
- ‘The Afro-Mexicans: An ignored and unknown people,’ Center for Afro-American and African Studies (CAAS) NewsletterVI No.2, 1990, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Select Conference presentations.
- Keynote: ‘Multilingual Education in Kenya: A Necessity for Sustainable Development. “1st KAFU National Virtual Conference, May 15-16th, 2023, Kaimosi Friends University.
- ‘Multilingual Education: A necessity to transform education,’ International Mother Language Day, Kenyatta University, Feb 21, 2023.
- ‘Is Sheng an Interlanguage?’ 'Youth languages and morphosyntactic variation workshop,' Jan Gutenberg University, Germany, Sept 30-Oct. 2, 2022.
- Keynote: ‘The Importance of Mother Tongue in Education,’ International Mother Language Day, Kenyatta University, February 19, 2021.
- ‘Language Attitudes in Nairobi,’ BIEA, Nairobi, March 25, 2018.
- ‘Some features of Kenyan Swahili,’ Swahili Colloquim, Bayreuth University, Germany, May 8-10, 2016.
- ‘Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o’s contribution to the east African Polysystem,’ at African Languages in the Disciplines Conference, Harvard Univeristy, April 17-19, 2016
- ‘Form and Function of an Urban Swahili dialect,’ ‘Urban Youth Languages of Africa Conference, December 10-13, 2015. Kenyatta University, Kenya.
- Invited Participant at Stakeholders’ Workshop on the ‘Draft Policy of the Languages of Kenya,’ organized by the Ministry of State for National Heritage and Culture, May 22-23, 2013, KIE, Nairobi, and March 24th, 2014.
- Invited speaker at ‘Academic writing workshop’ organised by African Studies Association (ASA-UK), held at Mekelle University, Ethiopia, 16-18 September 2013.
- Invited Speaker, ‘Sheng and Media Workshop,’ Kenya Cultural Centre, Organized by Twaweza Communications, July10, 2013.
- Invited Speaker to conference on, ‘Sheng Language in Kenya: Structure, Uses and Pedagogy,’ Workshop, IFRA, Nairobi, July 16th, 2013. Paper presented: ‘The rise and rise of Sheng: language and idenity in modern Kenya.’
- Speaker, UNESCO’s World Radio Day, ‘Radio and Minority African Languages,’ SOAS, 13
- Feb 2012. Published as: ‘Interview with Chege Githiora, Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25:1, 137-138. Link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13696815.2013.767191
- Panelist, Workshop/Report Launch, ‘The Nairobi Process and the Context for the Foundations for the Future,’ The British Academy, London, 27 Feb 2012.
- ‘Uchapishaji katika lahaja: Waswifu wa Shaaban bin Robert.’ CHAKITA Conference, July 2012, Kenyatta University.
- ‘African Contributions to Regional Identities in the Americas: The case of Mexico,’ at AfroXXI Conference (UNESCO, SEGUIB), Bahia, Brazil. November 15-19, 2011.
- ‘Kukuza Fasihi ya Kiswahili Duniani kwa njia ya Tafsiri (‘Developing Swahili literature through translation). Chama Cha Kiswahili Cha Afrika Mashariki (CHAKAMA), Nairobi, August 21-22, 2011.
- ‘Kiswahili ng’ambo: Mbinu za kuikuza Lugha’ (Swahili Abroad: Strategies for the development of the language’), Research Institute Swahili Studies Eastern Africa, (RISSEA), Mombasa, Nov. 17-20, 2010
- ‘Issues and Challenges of Inter-African Language Translation,’ African Languages and Translation Sub-Saharan African Research Network, Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Warwick, 11 March, 2011
- ‘Striking back at the Empire: The Mau Mau Case in London,’ Panelist, Human Rights Watch Film Festival, Ritzy Cinema, London, April 1, 2011. Also published as Commentary in The Nairobi Star Newspaper, Nairobi April 14, 2011.
- Chairman, Board of Management (BOM), St Joseph the Worker Secondary School Mang’u, Kiambu County, 2022-)
- Member, School Board of Management (BOM), Mutuma Secondary School, Kiambu County, Kenya. November (2012- 2017).
- Member, UK Modern Languages Board, Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) 2016-2020
- Trustee, British Institute of Eastern Africa (BIEA), British Academy, November (20122018).
- Member, Shortlisting Committee, Laikipia University, 20th January 2021.
- External Examiner, University of Westminister, London, UK (2009, 2011).
- External Examiner, University of Wales, UK. (2012).
- External Examiner, University of Kent, UK. (2016).
- Peer Reviewer and member of editorial board, Journal of African Cultural Studies, (JACS) University of London, SOAS. (2000-present).
- Invited speaker, ‘AfroXXI: Encuentro Iberoamericano del Año Internacional de los Afro descendientes,’ (Latinamerican Conference of the International Year of people of African Descent), Salavador, Brazil. November 11-16, 2011.
- Speaker and Chair, ‘Governance in Africa’ Mo Ibrahim Residential School, IAS, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, April 12-15, 2012.
- Speaker and Chair, ‘Governance in Africa’ Mo Ibrahim Residential School, IESE, Maputo, Mozambique, April 20-27, 2011.
- Speaker and Chair, ‘Governance in Africa’ Mo Ibrahim Residential School, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, July 5-12, 2011.
- Invited keynote speaker for Black History Week, United States International University (USIU) Nairobi Campus (February 2004).
- Visiting Scholar, Makerere University Department of Languages (March 2003) on a DfID sponsored Academic Exchange programme.
- Invited panelist, 5th Anniversary of the International Center for Writing and Translation (ICWT) at the University of California, Irvine (October 7-10, 2007).
- Visiting Research Professor, El Colegio de Mexico (October 12-23, 2007).
- Referee, Grant Application to Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NOW).
- Referee, Endangered Languages Project Research Grants, SOAS, University of London (2010).