Dr. Kakai Pius Wanyonyi
Department: History, Archeology and Political Studies
- Co-authored with S.A. Nyanchoga, F.M. Muchoki(Phd Student) and S.W. Mwangi.Constitutionalism and Democratisation in Kenya: 1945-2007, Nairobi, CUEA, 2008.
Articles in books
- ‘The Paradox Of Development In Kenya: Focus on Webuye Pan African Paper Mills’ in eds. Amutabi,M.N & Hamasi L.Africa And Competing Discourse On Development.CUEA and AISA.2016
- ‘Politics in Post-Independent Zimbabwe: From Optimism to Disillusionment’ co-authored with Felix Kiruthu and Peter Wekesa, in ed Amutabi,M.N. Studies In Culture and Education In Africa. Nairobi, CUEA, 2013
- ‘Historicizing Negative Ethnicity In Kenya’ in eds Mbugua wa Muigai and George Ciona, (Re)Membering Kenya, Nairobi, Twaweza Communications, 2010
- ‘The Colonial Administration’ co-authored with Otieno I Oduor(MA Student) in Nyanchoga et al. Governance In Africa: Historical And Contemporary Perspectives,Nairobi,CUEA Press, 2010
- ‘Africa’s Decolonisation Era: 1945-1960s co-authored with Otieno I Oduor(MA Student) in Nyanchoga et al Governance In Africa: Historical And Contemporary Perspectives,Nairobi,CUEA Press, 2010
- . ‘Harambee-Self Help in Kenya: An Interplay Between the Local and Global, in eds. Tade Aina et al, Globalization and Social Policy in Africa, Dakar, Codesria, 2001
- . ‘The Impact of Ethnic Conflicts on Local Government and Democratization in Africa: The Case of Western Kenya’ in eds. Abdalla Bujra and Said Adejumobi, Breaking Barriers, Creating New Hopes Addis Ababa, Development Policy Management Forum 2002.
- Historical Significance Contained in Naming In Trans-African Journal of History Vol 25 1996.(Gideon S.Were Press,1998)
- . ‘A Historical Reflection on Electoral Process in Post-Colonial Africa’ In Oyin Ogunba (ed) Governance and the Electoral Process: Nigeria and United States of America. (Lagos: ASAN, 1997).
- ‘The Notion of Self-Colonization: Is it an Appropriate Solution in the 21 Cenyury?’In CODESRIA BULLETIN NO.1 1996
- . ‘Cultural Aspects and Social Integration: A Study of Tachoni Initiation ritual Ideas. In Transafrican Journal of History Vol. 24, 1995.
- Co-authored a module on ‘Sources of African History’ used by Open Learning Students of Kenyatta University.
Book Review Articles
- Journal of Third World Studies Vol.XVII No 2,2000
- CHEMICHEMI: International Journal of Arts and Social Sciences Vol. 1, December 1999.
- Journal of Third World Studies Vol.IV No. 1,
- Journal of Third World Studies: Vol.XIII No. 2: Fall 1996.
- Journal of Third World Studies: Spring 1996.
- Journal of Third World Studies: Fall, 1995
Seminars and Conference Papers
- 2016(June 23-25th) ‘The Paradox Of Development: The Story Of Webuye Pan African Paper Mills’ A Paper Presented at the Third Annual Interdisciplinary Conference Held At Multimedia University Kenya.
- 2015(November 6th): ‘Schools of African Historiography In the 20th Century’. A paper presented at Centre For African Studies of Shanghai Normal University, China.
- 2012: ‘Reflections About Religious Mobility And Political Party Support In Independent Kenya’ A Paper presented on April 26th at a workshop co-sponsored by IFRA and CUEA between April 24 – 26th, 2012.
- 2010: ‘Nature And Causes of Conflict in East African Region’ A paper presented at the IPSC Programme for Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration Course at Karen on Dec 6th 2010
- 2009: ‘Constitutionalism and the Democratisation in the Two East African countries’ A Paper presented to the Historical Association of Kenya held between 23-25 July at Catholic University of Eastrn Africa
- 2007: ‘Constraints to Constitutionalism and Democratisation in Kenya, Presented at Catholic University of Eastern Africa in February.
- 2006: ‘Negotiating Citizenship by Two Autobiographers’ Presented at the HAK Conference at USIU in July.
- 2004: ‘Ethnicity and Politics’ Presented at the Historical Association of Kenya held at Lake Baringo Club between June 10-12, 2004.
- 2002: ‘J. William Fulbright and the Politics of Vision’ presented at KAMESA organized 7th East Africa-America Conference held at Egerton University, Njoro.
- 2001: ‘A Comparative view of Three Holidays: Martin King Jr., Kenyatta and Moi. At KAMESA Talks on Black History Month in Nairobi.
- 1999: Ethnicity, Democratisation and Governance Among Abaluyia, 1960-1988.
- 1998: The Significance of Harambee Self-Help in Bungoma District of Kenya: 1950s to 1990s’. A Paper presented at the CODESRIA’s 9th General Assembly held in Dakar between December 14th-20th.
- 1997: Africa’s Elder Tradition As Vehicles of our Cultural Gifts’ A paper presented at Kenyatta University Cultural Week Seminar. ‘New Attitudes in Conflict Resolutions in Africa’ A paper presented at the 6th Regional American Studies in Eastern Africa held in July 1997 at Egerton University. ‘Harambee Self-Help in Kenya’ a paper presented at CODESRIA’s Methodological Workshop held in Abidjan, Cote d’ivoire in October 1997.
- 1996: ‘The Impact of Ethnic Conflicts on Local Governance and Democratization in Western Kenya’ (A paper written in fulfillment of a proposal discussed at CODESRIA Institute of Democratic Governance held between 1st August and 14th September 1995 in Dakar, Senegal). ‘Historical significance contained in naming’ presented at Kenyatta University Cultural Week held in March 1996. A Historical Reflection on the Electoral Process of Post-Colonial Africa’. A Paper presented to the 5th American Studies Conference of the American Studies Association of Nigeria (ASAN) in March 1996.
- 1995: ‘Ethnic Conflicts and Their Impact on Local Governance and Democratisation in Western Kenya’. A Paper presented during the CODESRIA Institute on Democratic Governance held between 1st August to 15th September 1995 at Dakar, Senegal.
- 1993: ‘US/Kenya Cultural and Educational Relations in the Last Thirty Years’ (Presented at the Fourth Eastern African Colloquium in July, 18-23).
- 1992: ‘Movement of Ideas Embodied in Nyayoism: A Link with the Pre-Colonial Past’ (Presented at Silver Sea Lodge in Mombasa).