Department/Unit/Section: Philosophy and Religious Studies
Contact Address: P.O BOX 43844-00100
Position: Senior Lecturer
Area of Specialization: Church History, World Religions, Pastoral Care, Adolescent counseling, Holistic Health
Research Interest: Education in Emergencies, holistic health, Youth and development, Gender studies and counseling.
Download Full CV
- Bagelman,J & Gitome,J Birthing across borders: ‘Contracting’ reproductive geographies’ in Dialogue in Human Geography Journal Volume 10 Issue 3, November 24, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1177/2043820620965825.
- Musili,T.K Gitome J.W & Ruth,M.J ‘An Ethical Claim for Administration of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PREP) in HIV and AIDS Burdened Africa’ IJAH: International Journal of Arts and Humanities, Vol. 8 No. 3 (2019)
- Dr.Tabitha Wang’eriα, Dr.Sammy Tumuti Dr Doyne Kageni Mugambi, Samuel Mutua Mutweleli, Dr.Josephine Gitome & Dr.Marangu Njogu “Extent to Which the African Men are Able to Meet Physiological, Safety, Belongingness, Esteem and Self Actualization Needs for Themselves and Family in Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garrisa County, Kenya” Global Journal of Human Sciences, Volume XIV, Issue 11,Version 2014, pp41-55
- Gitome, J.W, Katola M & Nyambwari B.G “Co- relation Between Discipline and Performance in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education”. In International Journal of Education and Research Vol 1, No.8 (Part 2) August 2013
- Gitome J.W (2011) Pastoral Care in African Context : The Use of African Indigenous practices in Adolescent’s Pastoral Care, LAP Lambert Academic publishing, Germany,USA and UK
Chapter in Books
- Muriithi, MA, Gathogo, J & Gitome J.W (2020) Afro- Pentecostalism and Marital Genders Challenges: A Kenyan Perspective in Genders, Sexualities and Spiritualties in African Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham pp137-149
- Gitome J.W (2004) Theological Education and the Youth in the Family Church and School in LeMarquand & Galogalo J.D Theological Education in Contemporary Africa Kijabe Printing Press, Kijabe
- Gitome J.W (2002) “Conflict in Single Motherhood: A Challenge to The Church” in Getui M, N& Ayanga, H Eds. Conflicts in Africa Women’s Response Ruaraka Printing Press, Nairobi
- Gitome, J. W (1999)”The Kenyan Church and it’s Role in Women Sex Education” in Musimbi, K.R & Njoroge, J.N Groaning in Faith African Women in The Household of God. Acton Publishers, Nairobi.
- Gitome, J. W (1999) “The Churches Responses to AIDs in Africa” in Getui M.N & Obeng, E A Theology of Reconstruction; Exploratory Essays Acton Publishers, Nairobi
- Gitome,J &Dippo,D The Challenges of Reciprocity and Relative Autonomy in North/South Partnerships in Wenona Giles and Lorrie Miller (Co-Editors) Borderless Higher Education for Refugees: Lessons from the Dadaab Refugee Camps pp.41-53 (June 2020).
- Gitome, J. W. 2011. "Pastoral Care in African Context: The Use of African Indigenous Practices in Adolescent's Pastoral Care." Germany, USA, UK: Lambert Academic Publishing.
Articles in Website/ Conference Proceedings
- 2021: ‘Religio-Cultural Sensitive Issues and Maternal Health Care Choices Among Somali Women in Daadab Refugee Camp, Kenya’ in Papers presented during the Dissemination Conference on Digital Innovation and Maternal Health for Migrant Mothers Conference 3rd to 4th February 2021 KU. Nairobi Kenya pp.11-13
- 2016; “Asylum seeker and access to higher education in Kenya’ in papers presented during the conference entitled ‘Asylum Seeking in Kenya Conference 16th to 17th Nov 2016, KU Nairobi, Kenya P.7.
- Gitome, JW, Nyaga SN and Tumuti S “Kenyatta University and the BHER Project", Borderless Higher Education for Refugees Project (BHER) International Conference, York University, Toronto, Canada, May 17,2012
- Gitome, JW "Dynamics of Education in Dadaab Refugee Camps," BHER Conference, Speke Resort Conference Centre, Kampala, Uganda, June 29 -- July 2, 2011
- Gitome, J.W Traditional Versus Modern Child Socialization in the Contemporary African Family, Proceedings of the Pan African Family Strength International Conference 21st-23rd July 2010, North Coast BEACH Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya P.30
- Gitome, J.W &Kinyua, F “The Role of Research in School Counseling” Www.Kapc.Or.Ke/Downloads/DR.JOSEPHINE%20GITOME.Pdf, 9th Kenya Association of Proffesional Counsellors Conference (KAPC Proceedings 2ND -4TH September 2008
- Gitome, J.W Puberty Initiation Seclusion School: Vocational Guidance and Counseling Dimension, Proceedings of AIOSP CONFERENCIA INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE Lisboa, Portugal 14th-16th September 2005. P. 90
- Gitome, J.W Integration of African indigenous Counselling Guidance Practices to Adolescents’ Pastoral Care and Counselling Programmes in Selected Churches of Nairobi. Proceedings of Kenyatta University 11th Postgraduate Seminar Abstracts. P.163.