Dr. Mary Makokha
Address: P.O Box 43844-00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
Area of specialization : Groundwater Hydrology, Hydrology and water resources
Google scholar:https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=SNxFu5UAAAAJ&hl=enORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1755-8089
- Yussuf A, Makokha M., Maalim (2020). Effect of Rainfall Variability on Spring Discharge in the Masingini Catchment, Zanzibar, International Journal of Environment and Geoinformatics (IJEGEO), 8(1):039-000. doi: 10.30897/ijegeo.
- Makokha M, Obando J. Omweri Z. (2019). Demographic Rise Effect on Water Supply Systems in Urban Higher Learning Institutions; Case Study of Kenyatta University, Sriwijaya journal of Environment; 4(2) pg 85-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.22135/sje.2019.4.2.85-96
- Makokha, M. (2019). Groundwater Quality Analyses along Kenyan Coastal Region, Case Study of Kilifi KENYA, International Journal of Environment and Geoinformatics (IJEGEO), 6(1): 01- 14. DOI: 10.30897/ijegeo
- Makokha M. (2018). Seasonal Variability of Groundwater Levels, Horton Infiltration Constant and Soil Moisture Content in Coastal Aquifers Case Study-Kilifi, Kenya, Quest Journals Journal of Research in Environmental and Earth Science, 4(2), pp. 29-35
- Ndemere J, Makokha M., and Moses T. (2017), Characterization of soil and water conservation technologies used on different landscape positions in Maziba sub catchment: Journal of Agricultural Biotechnology and Sustainable Development, (JABSD) Volume 6, Issue 5, (JABSD) edition [ISSN 2141-2340] (online), Accepted May 2017.http://www.academicjournals.org/JABSD
- Nyakundi R.M., Makokha M., Mwangi J.K. and Obiero C. (2017), Analysis of Rainfall Trends and Periodicity in Ruiru Location, Kenya: International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 7, Issue 3, (IJRSP) edition [ISSN 2250-3153] (online), pages 28- 39
- Comte J., Cassidy R., Obando J., Robins N., Ibrahim K, Melchioly S., Mjemah I., Shauri H, Bourhane A., Mohamed I., Noe C., Mwega B., Makokha M, Join J., Banton O., Davies J; (2016), Challenges in groundwater resource management in coastal aquifers of East Africa: investigations and lessons learnt in the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania: Journal of Hydrology: Regional StudiesVolume 5, March 2016, Pages 179–199.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrh.2015.12.065
- Olonga R.O., Ndunda E., Makokha M. (2015). Seasonal variations of physico-chemical and microbiological characteristics of groundwater quality in Ruiru, Kiambu county, Kenya. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications (IJSRP), Volume 5, Issue 12, December 2015 Edition [ISSN 2250-3153]. ijsrp.org/research-paper-1215/ijsrp-p4862.pdf
- Nyakundi R.M., Makokha M., Mwangi J.K. and Obiero C. (2015).Impact of rainfall variability on groundwater levels in Ruiru municipality, Kenya. African Journal of Science Technology Innovation Development. Taylor and Francis publisher Vol 7 (5) pg 329-335. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/20421338.2015.1085157
- Makokha M., Kobayashi A., Shigeyasu A., 2008. Numerical Modelling of Seawater Intrusion Management Measures, Journal of Rainwater Catchment Systems, 14 (1), pp. 17–
- Makokha M, Kobayashi A., Shigeyasu A., 2008. Effect of Tidal Fluctuation on Velocity Distribution in Coastal Aquifers, Journal of Rainwater Catchment Systems, 13 (2), pp. 1–
- Makokha M, Kobayashi A, Shigeyasu A, 2007. Effect of Velocity Distribution on Contaminant Transport in Coastal Aquifers, APCOM’07 – EPMESC XI; Third Asian Pacific Congress on Computational Mechanics in conjunction with the Eleventh International Conference on Enhancement and Promotion of computational methods in Engineering and Science, Kyoto International Conference Centre, Kyoto, Japan, December 3 -6, CD–
- Makokha M, Kobayashi A, Shigeyasu A, 2006. Solute Behavior through Two Layered Strata under Seawater Intrusion Condition; Proceedings of Japanese Society of Irrigation Drainage and Reclamation Engineering (JSIDRE) Conference, Osaka, Japan, November, CD –
- Makokha M, Kobayashi A, Shigeyasu A, 2006. Contaminant Transport Through homogeneous Layer under Seawater Intrusion Condition; Proceedings of Japanese Society of Irrigation Drainage and Reclamation Engineering (JSIDRE) Conference, Utsunomiya, Japan August, CD–
- Makokha M, Miriam O., Obando J., (2018), Evaluating the Physical-Chemical Groundwater Quality Parameters of Kenyan. Kenyatta university and Emerging Surrounding Environments Proceedings of international conference on Water security and Climate change conference (WSCC), Kenya School of Monetary studies 3- 5th Dec 2018 pg (135)
- Omweri Z, Makokha , Obando J., (2017) Socio Economic Aspects of Groundwater Systems in Kenyatta University and The Emerging Surrounding Settlements- Kabarak University, 7th Annual International conference, Kabarak University, Kenya, 1-5th October
- Nyakundi R.M., Makokha M. and Mwangi J.K. Rainfall trends and periodicity in Ruiru location, Kenya- The Regional Conference of International Women Engineers and Scientists (INWES) Entebbe, Uganda 21-23 October 2015.
- Olonga R.O., NdundaE. Makokha M, (2015) Groundwater quality and its suitability for domestic use in Ruiru area, Kiambu County, Kenya,The Regional Conference of International Women Engineers and Scientists (INWES) Entebbe, Uganda 21-23 October 2015.
- Nyakundi R.M., Makokha M., Mwangi J.K. and Obiero. Impact of rainfall variability on groundwater levels in Ruiru municipality, Kenya -The 6th International Conference of Appropriate Technology (ICAT) Nairobi, KUCC, Kenyatta University, Kenya November 2014.
- Comte J., Cassidy R., Obando J., Robins N., Ibrahim K, Melchioly S., Mjemah I., Shauri H, Bourhane A., Mohamed I., Noe C., Mwega B., Makokha M, Join J., Banton O., Davies J; Towards groundwater security in coastal East Africa: initiating a regional research network and integrated hydro-geologic, climatic & socio-economic observatories in coastal aquifers of the Comoros Islands, Kenya and Tanzania. Poster session presented at SWIM23 - 23rd Salt Water Intrusion Meeting, Husum, Germany,16-20 June 2014, Husum, Germany
- Makokha M, Mbwete T.S.A,; 13thWaterNET/WARFSA/GWPSA International Symposium on Integrated Water resources Management (IWRM); "The effect of the hydraulic under-drainage system on cleaning efficiency of Downflow Roughing Filters (DRF); a community water supply pretreatment method" Birchwood Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa 31stoct -2nd Nov, 2012 CD-ROM
- Makokha M, Monitoring Groundwater Levels and Rate of Contamination of Nairobi Aquifer and Surrounding Regions; “Natural Resources 2010” Proceedings of International Conference Africa-Initiative of the Volkswagen Foundation/Leibintz Universitat -Postdoctoral Junior Research Fellows, Hanover, Germany, 25-27th October, 2010
- Kiage C, Makokha M., Obando J, Cassidy R, Comte J , Assessment of Salinity in Boreholes and Wells in Kilifi County ),6th international Conference by International Network of Appropriate Technology (INAT) in conjunction with Howard University, USA, 26- 29th Nov, 2014 , KUCC, Kenyatta University, Kenya ;UPGro Project
- Wafubwa M, Makokha M., Obando J, Cassidy R, Comte J , Assessment of Soil Moisture and infiltration rates; Case Study of Kilifi County),6th international Conference by International Network of Appropriate Technology (INAT) in conjunction with Howard University, USA, 26- 29th Nov, 2014 , KUCC, Kenyatta University, Kenya
- Nyaga B, Makokha M., Obando J, Cassidy R, Comte J , GIS and remote sensing application to groundwater level water monitoring Case Study; Kilifi County ),6th international Conference by International Network of Appropriate Technology (INAT) in conjunction with Howard University, USA,26- 29th Nov, 2014 , KUCC, Kenyatta University, Kenya
- Organized and convened final dissemination workshop as principal investigator of VC grant project; Hydrogeology and Geochemical analyses of Groundwater systems in Kenyatta University and surrounding environments, December 2018
- Hydrogeology of Kilifi County a paper presented at Final Dissemination Workshop- Unlocking the potential for Groundwater in East Africa (UPGRO), NERC UK; 17-18th October, 2014; British Institute of East Africa(BIEA), Nairobi.
- Recycling of polythene bags in East African Urban Centres: A new concept Workshop on Appropriate Technology for the 21st century: sustainable development in Africa; organized by Howard University (USA), International Network of Appropriate Technology (INAT) and Kenyatta University; Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya, May 27th, 2013.
- Integrated Watershed Management at Kenyatta University a paper presented at Regional Inter-University Knowledge Sharing Workshop on IWRM Toolbox, 5-6 December 2013, Makerere University, Uganda, and Sponsored by Global Water Partnership (GWP).
- Attended the Evaluation and Monitoring Workshop AWARD Fellowships; a project of CGIAR Gender & Diversity Program (G&D); Colline Hotel, Mukono, Uganda, 10-12th June, 2012.
- Attended; Mentoring and Training workshops by African Women Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD); on Building capacity and leadership Skills in African Women Scientists: Jacaranda Hotel, Nairobi, 24th-28th October, 2011
- Attended Kenya DAAD Scholars Association (KDSA) workshop with the theme; Capacity Development for the County Governments in the New Constitutional Dispensation in Kenya, Silver Springs Hotel, Nairobi, November, 2011
- Participated in Training workshop on “enhancing the participation of African Women Scientists in Climate Change Assessment, Information Dissemination and Policy Advocacy”; A collaboration between The International Foundation for Science (IFS) Eastern Africa Hub, the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), the Regional Center for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) and the IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Center (ICPAC) with support from NORAD; 30th August – 2nd September,2010, Kisumu, Kenya
- 2021 Consultant for Capacity Development and consultancy services (Kenyatta University) to develop training manuals for course: Valuing Variability (VV) in the ASALs for food and water security in Collaboration with IIED and BRECcIA partners
- 2020 Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS/UNESCO) grant, Water, sanitation and hygienic practices and the COVID-19 pandemic spread among Kenyan coastal communities Kenya’ Principal Investigator; Dr Mary Makokha (USD 10,650)
- 2020-won Tender NRT/12/2019 — Water Resource Mapping and Development of Water Management Strategies in Six (6) Selected Community Conservancies Samburu and Isiolo Counties (Kshs 6.5M)
- 2018- 2020: International Foundation of Science (IFS) funded project on’ Evaluating The effect of Produced Water on the Water Resources in the Oil Production Fields, Case Study; Lokichar Oil Fields, Northern Kenya’ Principal Investigator; Dr Mary Makokha (USD 12,000)
- 2015-2016: Vice chancellors grant, KU, Project Title” Assessment of Hydrogeology the Geochemistry of the Groundwater systems in Kenyatta University and the Emerging surrounding settlements; Principal Investigator; Dr Mary Makokha (KShs 1.8M)
- 2015: Nominated for Kenyatta University- KITE project; ERASMUS MUNDUS – European Union Award- Staff Mobility Programme- at Masaryk University; Czech Republic (Euro 2500)
- 2013- 2014; Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) UK, Urban Groundwater (UPGro) Catalyst grants, Project title “Towards groundwater security in Coastal East Africa” Principal Investigator; Kenyatta University, Project Partners; Dr Mary Makokha, Kenyatta University, other partnering institutions; Queens University Belfast, UK Pwani University, Sokoine university, , University of Comoros, University of Dar-Es-salaam (£ 150,000)
- 2012 International Foundation of Science (IFS) funded project on: The Effect of Climate change on Groundwater Levels and Groundwater Quality in Kenya's Urban Environment; A Case Study of Ruiru; Principal Investigator; Dr Mary Makokha (USD 12,000)
- 2011-2013 nominated for African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) a project of CGIAR Gender & Diversity Program (G&D) sponsored by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; (USD, 90,000)