Dr Leah Njambi Wanjama
Participation in workshops/conferences
- From 1993 – 2012 I attended and participated in most of FAWE Conferences and Seminars both locally and internationally (Ghana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Ethiopia) as an official of FAWE Kenya Chapter.
- I have attended as a participant over 20 locally organized conferences, workshops and seminars since I joined Kenyatta University.
Presentation of papers at academic and professional conferences
- October 2019 Presented a Paper on Gender Equity and Equality Discourse in the Higher Education Reforms in Africa (9th Anie Conference in Nairobi)
- October 2019 Presented a paper Higher Education in Kenya: An Assessment of Gender Issues in Academic Progression and Promotion to Senior Levels of Management. (9th Anie Conference in Nairobi)
- October 2017 Presented a Paper on Transforming Teacher Education As A Strategy For Achieving Gender Equity And Equality: Lessons From Research ( 3rd Conference on Education and Life Long Learning - Kenyatta University)
- July 2017 Presented a paper on Breaking The Conspiracy Of Silence And Secrecy Surrounding Sexuality To Restore Women’s Dignity Post-Fistula (Conference on Health held in Kenyatta University).
- May 2017 Presented a paper on Education as a strategy for mitigating against negative cultural practices and sexual exploitation. (Conference on Early Childhood Education )
- August 2016 Presented a paper on A Reflection on the Status of the Inclusion of Women and Girls in Science, Technology and Innovation in Kenya Public Universities at the 1st Biennial Conference on the State of Higher Education In Kenya.
- March 2016 Presented a paper on Gender and Peace: Reflections on the Importance of Gender in Peace Building at Family Unit Level: at the 6th International Conference On Peace Held at The Management University Of Africa (MUA)
- October 2015 Presented a paper on Gender Responsive Pedagogy: Promoting Gender Equity and Equality in Education: at The 2nd International Annual October Conference on Education and Lifelong Learning, Kenyatta University.
- August 2014 Presented a Paper on An Overview of the Status of Girls Education in Sub-Saharan Africa as Depicted by EFA and MDGS 2013/2014 Reports (FAWE General Assembly)
- August 2014 presented a Paper on Marriage Rite of Passage and Gender Construction Among the Agikuyu Community (International Conference on African Languages and Literatures in 21st Century – Kenyatta University)
- May 2012 Presented a paper on Poverty and Culture in Relation to Maternal and Child Survival (International Conference on Maternal and Child Health)
- August 2012 presented a paper in an International Conference organized by Kenyatta University on GBV entitled Engaging Advocacy and Lobbying to Bring Change and Create Safe Space for Human Habitation.
- December 2009 presented a research paper on Issues of Education of the boy child in Kenya, ( at Kenyatta University Research Conference).
- December 2009 presented a paper on Gender, Religion and Sustainable Development for the African Religious Council (Libya)
- August 2004 presented a paper on the Education of the Girls Child 2000 and Beyond organized by FAWE – Ethiopia.
- September 1995 presented a paper on Poverty and the Girl Child an International University Women Conference in Japan
Convening and coordinating Conferences
- In June 1995, convened a one day conference for FAWE Kenya on Issues of the girls child in education as a preparation for 4th Women’s conference in Beijing
- September 1995 attended a 5 day conference organized by International University Women to prepare for the 4th Women’s Conference in Beijing. I was in charge of all preparations for the issues of Poverty and the Girl Charge and I had presented a paper on the same.
- September 1995 Attended the 4th Women’s Conference in Beijing and coordinated a one day workshop on Women’s education in Africa for FAWE in the Africa Tent.
- September 1995 Attended the 4th Women Conference in Beijing coordinated a one day workshop on Poverty and the Girls Child for International University Women.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in refereed Journals with students
- Sarah Fedha , Grace Wamue, Leah Wanjama; Experience of School Related Gender Based Violence by Pupils and Culture of Violence: a case Study of Primary Schools in Kasarani District – Nairobi County – Kenya (International Journal of Education and Research – 2013)
- Flrorence Nyamu, Dr. Leah Wanjama, Rose M. Irungu and Fred Kariuki. (Sep. 2018). Education As a Strategy to Mitigate Harmful Cultural Practices and Value Systems. International Journal Of Current Research. An online publication. ISSN: 0975-833X
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Leah Wanjama. (2014), Marriage Rite of Passage and Gender Construction Among the Agikuyu Community ( A paper presented at the International Conference in African Languages organized by Institute of African Studies – Kenyatta University)
- Leah Wanjama. (2014) An Overview of Status of Girls Education in Sub-Saharan Africa as Depicted by Education For All and Millennium Development Goals Reports – 2013/14.
- Leah Wanjama. (2012) Engaging Lobbying and Advocacy to Bring Change and Create Safe Space For Human Habitation – (in the process of being published).
- Leah Wanjama. (2009), Gender and Sustainable Development: Confronting Violence and Advancing Shared Security (A chapter in an unpublished book sent to the printers by African Council of Religions for Peace).
- Leah Wanjama. (2012), Poverty and Culture in Relation to Maternal and Child Survival (a paper presented in an International Conference, peer reviewed for publication).
- Leah Wanjama: Gender Dimensions in Participation and Performance in Science and Mathematics: ( a paper presented at a FAWE conference in Zambia, 2009)
- Leah Wanjama, Phyllis Muraya, Shiphrah Gichaga, Revised Edition of Life Skills: A Handbook for Students, Parents and Teachers. Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, 51 Enterprise Road, Industrial Area, Second Edition 2018
- Leah Njambi Wanjama, Elishiba Njambi Kimani, Mildred Jeniffer Lodiaga, HIV and AIDS: The Pandemic. Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, 51 Enterprise Road, Industrial Area, 2007
- Leah Wanjama, Phyllis Muraya, Shiphrah Gichaga, Life Skills - Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, 51 Enterprise Road, Industrial Area, 2006
Chapters in Books
- Leah Wanjama. (2004). Agriculture and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, Published by Acasia Publishers (2004), Nairobi, Edited by D. M. Muia and J. E. Otiende.
- Leah Njambi Wanjama. (2018). Marriage Rites and Gender Construction Among the Agikuyu Community. Published in the Book, From Asmara 2000 To Nairobi 2014: Trends In African Languages and Literatures. Institute of African Studies , Kenyatta University
NETWORKING AND COLLABORATION WITH ORGANIZATIONS
- In 2010, as part of my responsibility to network with institutions and organization, I initiated and concretized networking relationships with Housing Finance; Home Grown, Mount Kenya Bottlers, James Finlays Kenya Limited and Magandi Soda.
- In 2011, as part of my networking and recruitment of organizations for Executive Training, I established contacts with UAP, Resources Associates, Majani Insurance, Kenya Airways, Tea Board of Kenya among others.
- In 2012, as part of my responsibility to recruit organizations and institutions for executive education I established contacts with Kenya Motors, Finlays Mombasa, Home Grown Naivasha, Williamson Tea, Kenya Tea Development Authority among others.
- 2013, as part of my networking and recruitment drive, I established contacts with KEPSA, UAP Tanzania and Uganda, East Africa Chamber of Commerce in Agriculture, Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, National Housing Corporation among others.