Executive Master Of Arts (Public Policy And Administration)
The general regulations for all Master degrees in the University shall apply.
The following shall be eligible for admission into the EMPPA degree programme in the Department of History, Archeology and Political studies in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Bachelor’s Degree of at least Second Class Honours (Upper Division) from a recognized university in any area of specialization. Those with Second Class (Lower Division) may be considered on condition that they have Grade “C” and above in units relevant to their areas of specialization.
In addition, the applicant must have served in a senior management position for at least two years.
Pattern and Duration
The EMPPA degree programme is designed to take one calendar year consisting of three (3) semesters. A total of 16 units will be taken comprising 12 taught units and a research project equivalent to 4 units. Students will be required to take four (4) taught units per semester. During the second semester, students will be required to register for four (4) taught units and the research project. Students will be required to defend their research proposals by the end of the second semester. In the third semester, students register for the final four (4) taught units and submit their final research project for examination.
University examination regulations for postgraduate programmes shall apply. University examinations shall be given at the end of each semester and shall contribute 60 percent of the total marks, while the continuous assessment shall constitute the remaining 40 percent. For the purposes of evaluation, a research project shall be regarded as equivalent to four (4) units and shall be examined at the end of the third semester. The duration for the University examination shall be three (3) hours per unit. The minimum pass mark for each unit shall be 50%.
A candidate who fails to satisfy the 50 % minimum pass mark for each unit may be permitted on the recommendation of the Board of Examiners and with the approval of the Senate to take supplementary examinations in the failed units up to a maximum of two units in any academic year. Supplementary examinations for the units failed in the first and second semester shall be done before the beginning of the third and final semester. Supplementary examinations for the units failed in the third semester shall be done at the end of the course. The maximum mark attainable in each unit examined in supplementary examination shall be 50%. A candidate who fails more than two units at the end of a University semester examination shall be discontinued. A candidate who fails to satisfy the examiners in a supplementary examination shall be discontinued. A candidate shall not be allowed to submit the research project prior to passing supplementary examination if any.
Unit Code and Title
AMC 800: Research Methods in Social Sciences
APE 800: Quantitative Methods for Public Policy
APE 801: Economics for Policy, Planning and Development
APE 802: Public Project Monitoring and Evaluation
APE 803: Cultural Diversity and Gender in Public Sector
APE 810: Project
APE 812: Financial Management for Policy Makers
APP 804: Law and Governance
APP 811: Public Procurement and Supply Chain Management
APP 813: Conflict and Disaster Management
APP 814: Human Resource Management in Public Sector
APP 816: Strategic Management in the Public Sector
APP 817: Public Policy Analysis