Dr. Magomere T. Obidi
Title/Qualifications: Dr, PhD
Application of molecular markers and techniques in plant science: Molecular studies of ‘Candidatus Liberibacter’ species/strains causing huanglongbing disease of citrus: Citrus tissue culture: Plant biotechnology: Gene flow studies in sorghum: Sorghum molecular breeding for improved nutrition, drought tolerance and Striga resistance: Genomics: Molecular approaches in geneflow assays: Melia volkensii biotechnology- micropropagation and bio-pesticides. Utilization of products of biotechnology to alleviate hunger and poverty.
- Obala Francis , Samira A. Mohamed, Titus Obidi Magomere, Sevgan Subramanian. 2023. Old and new association of Cotesia icipe (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) with alien invasive and native Spodoptera species and key stemborer species: Implication for their management. Pest Management Science, Volume 79, Issue 9, Online ISSN:1526-4998, https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.7740
- Jaoko Victor, Clauvis Nji Tizi Taning, Simon Backx, Pierfrancesco Motti, Jackson Mulatya, Jan Vandenabeele, Titus Magomere, Florence Olubayo, Guy Smagghe, Stefaan P.O. Werbrouck, Sven Mangelinckx. 2023. Bioactivity-guided isolation of toosendanin and salanninolide from Melia volkensii and their antifeedant activity against economically important insect pests. Crop Protection, Volume 173, 106353, ISSN 0261-2194, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2023.106353.
- Dushimimana, C.; Van Laere, K.; Magomere, T.; Smagghe, G.; Werbrouck, S.P.O. 2023. Production of Tetraploid Plants from Cotyledons of Diploid Melia volkensiiGürke. Horticulturae, 9, 791. DOI:3390/horticulturae9070791
- Magomere, Titus O., Eliud K. Ngugi, Solomon I. Shibairo, Eunice Mutitu and Silas D. Obukosia, 2022. Patterns of Interspecific Hybridization among Crop and Wild Sorghum in Open-Pollinated Fields. Biotechnology, 21: 90-102.DOI:3923/biotech.2022.90.102
- Magomere, Titus O., Eliud K. Ngugi, Solomon I. Shibairo and Eunice Mutitu, 2022. Comparative Effect of Bacillus thuringiensisEndotoxins on the Fitness of F1 Sorghum×Weed Hybrids. Biotechnology, 21: 30-38.DOI: 3923/biotech.2022.30.38
- Dushimimana, Constantin, Michael A. Sakha, Mercy J. Korir, Joyce M. Jefwa, Jan Vandenabeele, Titus Magomere, Eunice W. Mutitu, Jackson Mulatya, Florence Olubayo, Guy Smagghe, and Stefaan P.O. Werbrouck. 2022. "Early Growth Performance of In Vitro Raised Melia volkensiiGürke Plantlets in Response to Beneficial Microorganisms under Semi-Arid Conditions" Plants11, no. 10: 1300. DOI:10.3390/plants11101300
- Dushimimana, C.; Magomere, T.; Mulatya, J.; Vandenabeele, J.; Olubayo, F.; Smagghe, G.; Werbrouck, S.P.O. Variation of Morphological Traits and Quality Indices of Micropropagated Melia volkensiiGürke Clones before Field Planting. Forests 2022, 13, DOI: 10.3390/f13020337
- Jaoko V, Taning CNT, Backx S, Motti P, Mulatya J, Vandenabeele J, Magomere T, Olubayo F, Mangelinckx S, Werbrouck SPO, Smagghe G. Laboratory and Greenhouse Evaluation of Melia volkensii Extracts for Potency against African Sweet Potato Weevil, Cylas puncticollis, and Fall Armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda. Agronomy. 2021; 11(10):1994. DOI: 3390/agronomy11101994
- Jacinta Kavuluko, Magdaline Kibe, Irine Sugut, Willy Kibet, Joel Masanga, Sylvia Mutinda, Mark Wamalwa, Titus Magomere, Damaris Odeny, Steven Maina Runo. 2021. GWAS provides biological insights into mechanisms of the parasitic plant (Striga) resistance in sorghum. BMC Plant Biol 21, 392. DOI: 1186/s12870-021-03155-7
- De Clercq, M., Dushimimana, C., Magomere, T.O. and Werbrouck, S.P.O. (2020). Heterografting cryopreserved meristems to wake up latent plant bacteria. Acta Hortic. 1297, 17-22. DOI: 17660/actahortic.2020.1297.3
- Jaoko, V., Nji, C., Taning, T., Backx, S., Mulatya, J., Abeele, J. Van Den, Titus Magomere, Florence Olubayo, Sven Mangelinckx, Stefaan P.O. Werbrouckand Smagghe, G. (2020). The Phytochemical Composition of Melia volkensii and Its Potential for Insect Pest Management. Plants 2020, 9(2), 143; 1–12. DOI: 3390/plants9020143
- Phane Auma; Sabina Mukoya Wangia; Titus Magomere; Evans Chimoita Ligare; James K'obill. 2017. Effectiveness of Community Radio in Disseminating Market Information among Smallholder Maize Farmers: Experience from Suba Sub-county- Kenya. International journal of innovative research & development.Vol 6 (3): pgs 54-63. http://184.108.40.206/index.php/ijird_ojs/article/view/136724/95846
- Herman Ouko Oyugi; Hillary T. Nyanganga; Evans Chimoita; O. Magomere; Kenneth O. Tembe. 2016. The Effects of Agro-meteorological Information on Maize Enterprise Management among Smallholder Farmers. International journal of innovative research & development. Vol. 5 (10): pgs 159-164. http://220.127.116.11/index.php/ijird_ojs/article/view/136404/95527
- Magomere, T.O., Obukosia, M. Albertsen, F. Wambugu, D. Kamanga, M. Njuguna, J. Gaffney, Z.-Y. Zhao, P. Che, A. Aseta, E. Kimani, and E. Mwasame. 2016. Evaluation of fitness in F2 generations of Africa Biofortified Sorghum event 188 and weedy Sorghum bicolor subsp. Drummondii and sorghum bicolor subsp. Verticilliflorum. Electronic journal of biotechnology. Vol. 22: pgs 52–61. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejbt.2016.06.001
- Magomere, Titus; Ngugi, Kahiu; Obukosia, Silas; Mutitu, Eunice; and Shibairo, Solomon. The Population Structure of Wild Sorghum Species in Agro-Ecological Zones of Western Kenya. African Journal of Biotechnology. Vol. 14(17): pgs.1475-1492. DOI: 10.5897/ajb2015.14514
- Magomere, Titus; Ngugi, Kahiu; Obukosia, Silas; Mutitu, Eunice; and Shibairo, Solomon. 2015. Evaluation of relative competitive ability of bicolor X S. halepense and S. bicolor X S. sudanense hybrids. Journal of biological sciences. Vol. 15 (1): pgs.1-15. DOI: 10.3923/jbs.2015.1.15
- Magomere, Titus O.; Ngugi, Kahiu; Mutitu, Eunice; and Shibairo, Solomon and Obukosia, Silas D. Real Time PCR Mediated Determination of the Spontaneous Occurrence of Sorghum bicolor Alleles in Wild Sorghum Populations. African Journal of Biotechnology. Vol. 14(7): pgs. 551–568. DOI: 10.5897/ajb2014.13672
- Magomere, Titus O.; Ngugi, Kahiu; Mutitu, Eunice; and Shibairo, Solomon and Obukosia, Silas D. Evaluation of Multiplex PCR in detection of crop alleles and differential hybridization among weedy sorghum populations. Journal of biological sciences. Vol. 14 (7): pgs. 460-471. DOI: 10.3923/jbs.2014.460.471
- Magomere, Titus O.; Obukosia, Silas D.; Mutitu, Eunice; Ngichabe, Christopher; Olubayo, Florence and Shibairo, Solomon. Molecular characterization of ‘Candidatus Liberibacter’ species/strains causing huanglongbing disease of citrus in Kenya. Electronic journal of biotechnology [online]., vol. 12, no. 2. DOI: 10.2225/vol12-issue2-fulltext-2
- Magomere, Titus O.; Obukosia, Silas D.; Mutitu, Eunice; Ngichabe, Christopher; Olubayo, Florence and Shibairo, Solomon. PCR Detection and Distribution of Huanglongbing Disease and Psyllid Vectors on Citrus Varieties with Changes in Elevation in Kenya. Journal of biological sciences. Vol. 9 (7): pgs 697-709. DOI: 10.3923/jbs.2009.697.709
Reviewed Journal And Conference Abstracts, Acknowledgements, Conference Presentations And Posters
- Titus O. Magomere, Eliud K. Ngugi, Solomon I. Shibairo, Eunice Mutitu and Silas D. Obukosia. Comparative effect of Bacillus thuringiensis delta endotoxin proteins on the fitness of F1 hybrids obtained from halepense x S. bicolor and S. sudanense x S. bicolor crosses grown in competition with their parents. 6th Annual National Biosafety Conference. (3rd – 6th October, 2017 at Kenya School of Monetary Studies (KSMS), Nairobi, Kenya)
- Titus O. Magomere. In-vitro rooting of woody species. Melia Workshop - August 24-25 2017- UON- Kabete Campus. “Progress in propagation and utilization of Melia volkensii”.
- Magomere, T.O., Obukosia, S.D., Esther Kimani, Zhao, Z., James Gaffney, Che Ping, Marc Albertsen, Florence Wambugu. Africa Biofortified Sorghum Event Focused Strategy In The Development, Introgression And Biosafety Consideration For Nutrient Enhanced Sorghum. 5th Annual national biosafety conference; August, 2016 at Kenya School of Monetary Studies (KSMS), Nairobi, Kenya.
- Magomere, T.O., Aseta, E. Kimani, F. Wambugu, D. Kamanga, M. Njuguna. Africa Biofortified Sorghum Event Focused Strategy In The Development, Introgression And Biosafety Consideration For Nutrient Enhanced Sorghum. 4th Annual national biosafety conference; 11th – 14th August, 2015 at Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Albertsen , F. Wambugu, E. Kimani, M. Yeye, A. Aseta, S. Obukosia, D. Kamanga, M. Njuguna, J. Gaffney, C. Ping, L. Ragland, T. Magomere. Progress in Development of Africa Biofortified Sorghum for Nutritional and Food SecurityAchievements and Way Forward. (Poster) 4th Annual national biosafety conference; 11th – 14th August, 2015 at Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Magomere, T.O. Overview of the Africa Biofortified Sorghum (ABS) Project: Towards environmental release and commercialization of ABS- Sorghum. Consultative meeting for CEOs of regulatory agencies for enhanced coordination of bio-safety matters, Nairobi, Kenya , 19th May, 2015.
- Magomere, T.O., Obukosia, S.D., Zhao, Z., Albertsen, M. Evaluation of fitness in F2 generations of Africa Biofortified Sorghum event 188 and weedy Sorghum bicolor subsp. Drummondii and sorghum bicolor subsp. Verticilliflorum. 3rd annual national biosafety conference; 11th – 14th August, 2014 at Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Magomere, Titus O.; Obukosia, Silas D.; Mutitu, Eunice; Ngichabe, Christopher; Olubayo, Florence and Shibairo, Solomon. Utility of the bacterial rplKAJL-rpoBC operon in characterization, phylogeny and identification of proteobacteria. III International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology (BioMicroWorld2009), 2-4 December, Lisbon (Portugal).
- Magomere T.O.; Tardif F. and Pauls K. P. Gene Flow From Sorghum bicolor To Its Weedy Relatives And Its Consequences; Proceedings of the joint meeting of the Canadian Society of Plant Physiologists Eastern Regional Meeting & the 40th Plant Development Workshop. McMaster University Hamilton Ontario, December 2nd
- Colasanti, Joseph; Tremblay, Reynald ;Wong, Ada YM; Coneva,Viktoriya; Kozaki, Akiko and Mable, Barbara K. The maize INDETERMINATE1 flowering time regulator defines a highly conserved zinc finger protein family in higher plants. BMC Genomics, June 2006, 7:158.
- Magomere T.O.; Tardif F. and Pauls K. P. Gene Flow from Sorghum Bicolor to its weedy relatives and its consequences; Genetic polymorphisms and recombination hotspots on the sorghum genome. 7th workshop on sustainable horticultural production in the tropics. 28th Nov – 1st Dec 2007.
- Magomere, Titus O.; Obukosia, Silas D.; Mutitu, Eunice; Ngichabe, Christopher; Olubayo, Florence and Shibairo, Solomon. PCR detection of “Candidatus Liberobacter africanus” that cause Huanglongbing disease on citrus plants in Machakos and Kakamega districts of Kenya. 1st all Africa congress on biotechnology. African biotechnology stakeholders forum congress, 22-26th September 2008.
- Magomere T.O.; Obukosia S.D.; Mutitu E.W.; Ngichabe C.; Olubayo F. and Kimani Waithaka. Comparison of the intergenic region of the ribosomal proteins (L10-L12) gene of Kenyan ‘Candidatus’ Liberobacter species. African crop science, 2003.
- Obukosia S.D.; Mutitu E.; Waithaka K.; Olubayo F. and Magomere. Molecular Indexing for the Huanglongbing Disease of Citrus. Spring 2002. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 38, P-1265 http://altweb.jhsph.edu/publications/journals/iva/iva38suppl/iva38suppl-toc.htm
Non-Reviewed Conference Papers
Conference papers/Magazine articles
- Titus Magomere. Crucial research on Melia Volkensii propagation through Biotechnology and development of Bio-pesticides. MITI magazine – trees and technology – A publication of Better Globe Forestry. Issue No. 42. April –June 2019. Page 18-19.
- Stefaan Werbrouck, Nandini Bhogar, Titus Magomere, Stephen Omondi. In vitro Biotechnology of Melia volkensii, a high potential forestry tree from Eastern Africa. 4th International Conference of the IUFRO Working Party 2.09.02: Somatic Embryogenesis and Other Vegetative Propagation Technologies, September 19-23, 2016. La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina. https://www.iufro.org/download/file/26953/75/20902-laplata16-abstracts_pdf/
- Magomere, Titus; Chitere, P.O. and Ocharo, R. M. Farmer participation in adoption of horticultural innovations in Kenya: A comparison of Kakamega and Machakos districts. Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst (EED) Africa Alumni Conference, 2009.
Consulting For Organizations/ Institutions And Expert Engagements
- 2021-2022: Genome editing- Crop Life International, Africa Harvest and NASAC- Gene Editing Technology Initiative: Engaged in empowering scientists and bridging knowledge and policy gaps to promote gene editing technology, as well as ensuring the use of gene editing technology to ensure food security in Africa. Ensure stakeholders such as; Researchers, Regulators, Policy makers and the Public are informed about gene editing technology.
- 2010- 2019: Investigator/Consultant African Biofortified Sorghum (ABS project)
- The project is implemented locally by Africa Harvest Foundation in collaboration with DuPont Pioneer LTD, Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO) and University of Nairobi.
- The Africa Biofortified Sorghum (ABS) project’s strategy aims at improving high yielding, farmer preferred varieties by increasing and stabilizing Vitamin A. The strategy also aims at improving iron, zinc bio-availability and protein digestability.
Research and outreach duties:
- Gene flow studies from ABS germplasm to with local germplasm.
- Breeding local germplasm for improved ABS genes. Introgressing ABS sorghum transgenes (carotenoid biosynthesis pathway genes) for high accumulation of beta-carotene in the endosperm and reduction of phytic acid for improved bioavailability of iron and zinc to allleviate nutrient deficiencies.
- Confined field trials (CFT) and regulatory issues.
- Biosafety of ABS germplasm and segregating populations from hybridization with local gerplasm.
2016 - Launching Meeting of the Network of Environmental Biosafety, July 3-6, Ouagadougou.
A Brain storming initiative by the African Biosafety Network of Expertise (ABNE) of the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency in partnership with Michigan State University (MSU), USA.
Membership To Academic/ Professional Organizations
- American society of plant biologists. ( https://aspb.org/ )
- Canadian Society of Plant Physiologists. ( https://cspb-scbv.ca/ )
- African crop science society. ( https://www.eldis.org/organisation/A62812 )
- International Society for Horticultural Science. ( https://www.ishs.org/ )
Reviewer For The Following Academic Journals
- African Journal of Microbiology Research (academicjournals.org/ajmr).
- African Journal of Plant Science (academicjournals.org/AJPS).
- African Journal of Agricultural Research ( academicjournals.org/ajar)
- African Journal of HorticulturalScience (http://hakenya.net/wesonga/ojs/index.php/ajhs)
- African Journal of Biotechnology(http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB)
- Australian Journal of Crop Science (http://www.cropj.com/index.html)
Administrative And Responsibilities Positions Held
Recognized University Administrative Positions
- 2022- Organizing committee member -Conference on basic and applied sciences (SPAS)- Embracing science & technology for resilience and transformation. Kenyatta University- 16th -18th November 2022.
- 2021- Academic Advisor- Third year Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry).
- 2021- Departmental open learning committee- Member
- 2018 - Departmental MSc & PhD curricula review committee- Member
- 2016 -Departmental practical committee- Member
Community Engagements And Other Contributions
- 2018-2022: VLIR-VOS Belgium-KE2018TEA465A103-76582 “Synergy for mass propagation of elite Melia volkensii clones and exploiting its derived biopesticides” 279,976 Euro; Collaborators-UGent, University of Nairobi, KEFRI, Better globe forestry. (Principal investigator).
- 2017-2019: National Research Fund.GOK.- Multidiscpilinary Research “Harnessing the genetic resources of Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) in Kenya to improve drought tolerance and Striga resistance of farmer preferred cultivars for climate change adaptation by utilizing innovative genomic, value chain and participatory approaches.” 20 M. Collaborators-The department of Plant Science & Crop Protection, University of Nairobi (UoN), the department of Food Science and Technology (DFST) , University of Nairobi (UoN), the department of Biochemistry & Biotechnology, Kenyatta University (KU), Kenya Industrial Research Development Institute (KIRDI), Farmer/women/youth groups (FWYgs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and BecA-ILRI hub. (Co-investigator).
- 2015-2017: VLIR-VOS Belgium-ZI2016SEL11, South Initiative; Joining efforts to produce elite Melia volkensii clones and to validate its derived biopesticides; 75,000 Euro; UGent, University of Nairobi, KEFRI, Better globe forestry. (Principal investigator).
- 2010-2015; 2015-2020: Investigator/Consultant African Biofortified Sorghum (ABS project). The project is implemented locally by Africa Harvest Foundation in collaboration with DuPont Pioneer LTD, Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Organization (KALRO) and University of Nairobi.
- 2010-2015: Compare fitness characteristics of ABS event 188 X wild hybrids and non-ABS X wild hybrids in Nebraska and Kenya. University Of Nairobi, Africa Harvest Foundation, Pioneer LTD and Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Organization (KALRO) (Principal investigator).
- 2010-2012: “Interspecific hybridization within sorghum genus and transfer of sorghum bicolor alleles to weedy sorghum populations ( sudanense; S. halepense; S. bicolor subsp. verticilliflorum) with the effects on hybrid fitness and fecundity”. University Of Nairobi, Africa Harvest, Danforth (Principal investigator).
- 2005-2007: Gene flow from Sorghum bicolor to its weedy relatives and its consequences. University Of Guelph, OAC/ University of Nairobi (Principal investigator).
- 2001-2004: Characterization of ‘Candidatus’ Liberobacter species / strains and survey of citrus pests. Funded by Rockefeller foundation (FORUM). (MSc student and research assistant basis).
- 2000-2003: Social economic factors influencing farmer participation in the adoption of horticultural innovations in Machakos and Kakamega districts of Kenya. Okumenisches Studienwerk e.v. Bochum, Germany (Principal investigator).
- 1999-2001: Citrus tissue culture tree project. Funded by The Netherlands Special Biotechnology Programme under the auspices of ‘Kenya Agricultural Biotechnology Platform’. (Research assistant).
Academic workshops and trainings I organized
- (i) Melia Workshop - August 30 2022- UON- Kabete Campus. In-Vitro propagation Of Melia volkensii And Its Derived Biopesticides. A collaboration of scientists, researchers and companies from KEFRI and University of Nairobi, University of Ghent and Better Globe Forestry.
- Melia Farmers demonstration/workshop – April to June 2022 – Mwingi.
- Melia Workshop - August 22 2019- UON- Kabete Campus. “Synergy for mass propagation of elite Melia volkensii clones and exploiting its derived biopesticides”. Knowledge transfer on in-vitro and bio-pesticide research, under the team Initiative-Collaboration of scientists, researchers, private sector and companies from KEFRI and University of Nairobi, University of Ghent and Better Globe Forestry. Build further synergy for melia micro-propagation, acclimatization, melia biopesticide delivery and efficacy trials in important pest.
- Melia Workshop - August 24-25 2017- UON- Kabete Campus. “Progress in propagation and utilization of Melia volkensii”. Knowledge transfer on in-vitro and bio-pesticide research. A collaboration of scientists, researchers and companies from KEFRI and University of Nairobi, University of Ghent and Better Globe Forestry.
- Real Time PCR training workshop- “Training on Real Time PCR for plant science and crop protection research” held at the biotechnology laboratory of the department of plant science and crop protection, from 28th May 2012 to 29th May 2012 in collaboration with Roche applied science.
Recognitions Awards And Honours
- CROPLIFE INTERNATIONAL- Science Hero- Sorghum research story. http://croplife.org/news-views/sharing-the-story/sorghum-from-kenya/?intrest=scientist.
- UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH, OAC/ Nairobi Scholarship award for PhD (PLNT).
- ROCKFELLER FOUNDATION, Scholarship award for M.Sc Genetics and Plant Breeding.
- OKUMENISCHES STUDIENWERK e.v. Bochum, Germany. M.A. Rural Sociology and Community Development scholarship award.